IGNORED

What Are You Reading?

Romey 1878

You'll know all the players involved Mike, its great reading and theres a special chapter on Dixie. One thing I found interesting was after being the first player to wear the number nine shirt ( cup final 1933 ) he never ever wore it again for Everton.

One for the Quizmaster's

2 hours ago, Bill said:

You'll know all the players involved Mike, its great reading and theres a special chapter on Dixie. One thing I found interesting was after being the first player to wear the number nine shirt ( cup final 1933 ) he never ever wore it again for Everton.

One for the Quizmaster's

Just read the first two chapters which included his first meeting with Shankly, hilarious😂

7 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

I bought it not too long ago but am having trouble motivating myself to read knowing I'm going to lose a lot of time doing so. 

it goes quick.  i knew almost nothing going in and finished the first book in 3 days and purchased the rest of the series immediately after.  wonderful twists and turns in those books.  i enjoyed the ride.  probably will read them again next year.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

it goes quick.  i knew almost nothing going in and finished the first book in 3 days and purchased the rest of the series immediately after.  wonderful twists and turns in those books.  i enjoyed the ride.  probably will read them again next year.

This. I’ve never been a big reader but I flew through the first few books. 

speaking of big books, I’ve nailed 200 pages in a couple of days of Leviathan Awakes. It helps having watched The Expanse and loving it, but the book is quite different in the way the story is told 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2020 at 17:31, markjazzbassist said:

Pretty crazy that Pirates had more humanity and compassion to their people than the British/French/Spanish at the time.  

Think Genghis Khan had more compassion than us colonial powers did back then; sounds an interesting read, might download the kindle.

Think I'm going to read Catch-22 for the zillionth time.

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Think Genghis Khan had more compassion than us colonial powers did back then; sounds an interesting read, might download the kindle.

Think I'm going to read Catch-22 for the zillionth time.

Catch 22 had me laughing hysterically in parts but I’ve never got half way through because it’s just so hard to follow most of the time

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Catch 22 had me laughing hysterically in parts but I’ve never got half way through because it’s just so hard to follow most of the time

It's worth the effort Matt.

Understand the problem though, my dad tried to read it numerous times and never got through it.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

It's worth the effort Matt.

Understand the problem though, my dad tried to read it numerous times and never got through it.

Compared to Finnegan's Wake, its an easy read. And, unlike Finnegan's Wake, it really is worth it!

Had a profound effect on me growing up - inventive, surreal, memorable characters and situations, hugely funny and tragic. For many years I thought I was Yossarian. I enjoyed Something Happened by JH, too.

On 30/12/2019 at 23:27, TallPaul1878 said:

I'm completely converted to audio books. 

What I would suggest though is to research the narrators. I got a book that was narrated very well but with a very heavy American accent that I could not quite place. It irritated me throughout. It's unfortunate but some accents just grate on different people and it's difficult to tolerate for 8 hours of listening. 

Agree with both points here, think I will keep reading fiction in print but have completely swapped to Audible for non fiction it's just so much more convenient, in the car or exercising you get through so much more and I concentrate much better when I'm moving.

With regards the accents my pet hate has become the authors reading them themselves rather than a professional narrator, I find it something akin to that feeling of not wanting to read the book of something after you've already seen the movie because you tend to imagine the movie rather than imagine your own version.

Have just finished The Madness of Crowds : Gender, Race and Identity by Douglas Murray which he narrates and I found mildly irritating at first as his politics already grate on me, but also made me laugh out loud a few times.

Just started Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (And Why We Don't Know About Them) By new testament scholar Bart Ehrman, very interesting for anyone with a past or present interest in the origins of Christianity.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Not reading but listening on audible.

Having finished Dune last year and recently finished the Necronomicon by HP Lovecraft I'm back with the Dune series.

Dune Dark Messiah. I absolutely love these books. They're effectively parodying the world's dependence upon crude oil but in the books it is a fantastical drug called melange that provides prescient powers. Even the planet Arrakis sounds like Iraq and there are many Arabian and Persian influences.

After this I have Children of Dune as well as the first book in the Sharpe series, along with the entire collection of Sherlock Holmes to complete.

I much prefer the classics.

I read all the books the original author wrote (7 I believe?), amazing series and I agree about the politics.  I thought they were sci-fi ala Star Wars but it’s more political maneuvering and palace intrigue mixed with sci-fi which caught me off guard but I really loved it.  Some of the books I was binge reading and finishing 700-800 pages in a week, I just couldn’t put them down.  I think I read all 7 in a month.  

• 1 month later...

I'm reading the horrible Bolton book "The Room Where It Happened".  The man is a psychopath who writes about bombing North Korea, Iran, Syria, like it is normal to kill millions.  Would actively advise anyone to not spend any money on the book (I got it through "other" channels). 

Also, now waiting 9 years for "The Doors of Stone" to be released; slowly losing my mind.

2 minutes ago, holystove said:

I'm reading the horrible Bolton book "The Room Where It Happened".  The man is a psychopath who writes about bombing North Korea, Iran, Syria, like it is normal to kill millions.  Would actively advise anyone to not spend any money on the book (I got it through "other" channels). 

Also, now waiting 9 years for "The Doors of Stone" to be released; slowly losing my mind.

My mind always starts singing Hamilton when I hear that title. Is there anything on it about trump that we don’t already know?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

My mind always starts singing Hamilton when I hear that title. Is there anything on it about trump that we don’t already know?

Not really.  It is more a book about Bolton (why he should have been secretary of state, why he's such a great national security advisor, how he influenced policy by writing brilliant articles for 'The Hill', how it is obvious that the only solution for the Middle East is to carpet bomb it all, etc.).  Of course if they marketed it like that noone would buy it.

12 minutes ago, holystove said:

Not really.  It is more a book about Bolton (why he should have been secretary of state, why he's such a great national security advisor, how he influenced policy by writing brilliant articles for 'The Hill', how it is obvious that the only solution for the Middle East is to carpet bomb it all, etc.).  Of course if they marketed it like that noone would buy it.

Wonder why they tried to block it then. Other than the tango monster being that terrified of criticism 

• 2 months later...
On 21/10/2020 at 03:12, markjazzbassist said:

Started reading “The Witcher” books.  Apparently a cult favorite in his native Poland and other eastern euro countries his books were translated to English and turned into a Netflix show.  I loved the show so since it’s on hiatus due to Covid I bought the books.  Good read so far, enjoyable fantasy

What's the TV series like? Seen it on Netflix but never thought to click. 

• 4 months later...

Currently reading Four Hundred Souls, which is an extensive look at the 400 year history of the American slave trade. It's broken down into 5-year sections, starting with the first African slaves brought here in 1619, with each section being written by a different historian, journalist, lawyer, poet, theologian, economist, etc. It is an incredible read, would highly recommend to everyone. 

One thing that struck me was a section that talks specifically about how the city of Liverpool profited immensely from the slave trade. I never knew that. Apparently "ships from Liverpool carried 1.5 million enslaved Africans, or half of the human cargo kidnapped and transported by Britain." 

40 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Currently reading Four Hundred Souls, which is an extensive look at the 400 year history of the American slave trade. It's broken down into 5-year sections, starting with the first African slaves brought here in 1619, with each section being written by a different historian, journalist, lawyer, poet, theologian, economist, etc. It is an incredible read, would highly recommend to everyone. 

One thing that struck me was a section that talks specifically about how the city of Liverpool profited immensely from the slave trade. I never knew that. Apparently "ships from Liverpool carried 1.5 million enslaved Africans, or half of the human cargo kidnapped and transported by Britain." 

Liverpool's not alone in that, in my neck of the woods Bristol profited massively as well, Clifton (most affluent area and actually where my wife was brought up) was built on it and lots of local places (eg concert hall) were named after a leading local slave trader called Edward Colston. Statue of him was pulled down and thrown into the harbour by protesters last year. There are still streets there called "Whiteladies Road" and "Blackboy Hill."