IGNORED

What Are You Reading?

Romey 1878

Read The Daily Mail on the train, I forget how prone people are to propaganda. The fact they even get the idiots to pay to be manipulated is genius. I could actually feel myself getting angry that this tripe is allowed to be published as a national paper. Every other page was a put down on them non-conforming lefties. One piece was on how Nick Clegg is basically deranged for not supporting tax relief for married couple, their reason being that all the other countries do. Finally got to the sports pages a double spread of rugby, followed by a double page for Suarez staying, two pages of general football, a double for Beckham plus little tidbits of other footy news, back page Beckham. The day after transfer deadline day and their biggest football story was Suarez not going even if Liverpool don't get into Europe. No surprise its main target audience are the weak-minded folks who support the shite from across the park.

Surely national papers should be unbiased regarding political matters like other national institutes. I'm not a supporter of Clegg but this is taking the Mick http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?sel=site&searchPhrase=nick+clegg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just started Soccernomics over the weekend. Anyone read it?

I read it a few years ago, I enjoy Simon Kuper's work. I also have his book on Ajax and The Football Men. Although my favourite of his is "Football against the enemy".

Selfish buggar Mark. wink.png April 1st for Season 3 of Game of Thrones.

A few people have been reading Neil Gaiman in this thread, what's his work like?

A few people have been reading Neil Gaiman in this thread, what's his work like?

Troll Bridge would be a good place to start, although I've not read everything.

These might give you a good idea (not listened to them yet myself) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r527b

His comic The Sandman is highly regarded, the protagonist is Bowie inspired so at least looks interesting.

Edited by pete0

• 4 weeks later...

That book sounds brilliant laugh.png

Edit: Another brilliant quote I just found from the same book;

''My body writhed and quivered from the pain. I had learned my first lesson. Never again would I leave an up-turned plug on the shed floor...

Edited by Zoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

Just started Soccernomics over the weekend. Anyone read it?

I read most of that a few years ago, it's brilliant.

I vaguely remember that some people here read comics (tenacious?). I read the entire run of Daredevil: Shadowland the other night. Immense.

• 1 month later...

MIKE O, If the book you are talking about is BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE its brilliant.

Also a fantastic book called INTO THE HEART OF THE SEA BY NATHANIEL PHILBRICK

A true story about and old whaling ship sank by an angry bull sperm whale, the survivors taking to the small boats

their battle to survive and even having to draw lots to see who would be killed to feed the other men, all the men who

died of starvation had already been eaten.. An amazing true survival story.

• 2 months later...

I recently bought "The world without us", it's a collection of theories of what would happen to the earth if mankind disappeared overnight. It's the 'go to' guide for film-set-makers and game designers, apparently it was used by those who made the "I am Legend" film and the game "The Last of us".

I recently bought "The world without us", it's a collection of theories of what would happen to the earth if mankind disappeared overnight. It's the 'go to' guide for film-set-makers and game designers, apparently it was used by those who made the "I am Legend" film and the game "The Last of us".

You'd probably like the TV series 'Life After People'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently finished bobby robson's autobiography - farewell but not goodbye - starting from his time at fulham right up to newcastle manager and how he was unfairly treated in the end. Also time at international level and his ecapades with paul gascoigne. The game is poorer with his passing. Great man, and a fine read.

Also read Alex Ferguson,s and Gordon strachan,s autiobiographies over the last week and there was a significant level of animosity between the two individuals. Read also a publication about what to do in an emergency, which covers everything from insect bites to being charged by stampeding elephants. Any real time scenario - they got it covered. A quite enthralling read.

I'm reading 'The chimp paradox' it's life changing!

Anyone had a read?

I have it but I haven't begun to read it yet, the author now works with Liverpool.

The Bobby Robson book sounds like an interesting read Dalziel.

I bought Issue 1 of Marvel's Mightiest Heroes while it's a special offer of £1.99. The book is apparently unsuitable for those under 15 (read 8 years old, still it's less than £2 for six avengers stories. :)

We've gone from a life changing book to a comic book in three posts.

Got a kindle for Chrimbo and just finished three wrestlers biographies : bob holly,animals and Chris kanyons. Holly's excellent but kanyons was really tragic. He was a closeted gay wrestler who suffered from bi-polar and depression and ended up killing himself

Reading "Where'd you go Bernadette" and I just finished "The No Where Men"

This past summer I had a bum leg--injured because I was playing football [soccer] as a 43 year old, thinking I was still 20--so I read quite a bit as I healed.

I highly recommend the following fiction:

The Dog Stars (a post-apocalypse book that is very well done, kinda like "the road" but less dreary)

The Orphan Master's Son (an amazing work of fiction about North Korea)

Butcher's Crossing (a great portrayal of the american west)

The Family Fang (great satire about performance art)

MIKE O, If the book you are talking about is BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE its brilliant.

Also a fantastic book called INTO THE HEART OF THE SEA BY NATHANIEL PHILBRICK

A true story about and old whaling ship sank by an angry bull sperm whale, the survivors taking to the small boats

their battle to survive and even having to draw lots to see who would be killed to feed the other men, all the men who

died of starvation had already been eaten.. An amazing true survival story.

Agreed, Into the Heart of the Sea is amazing. Really compelling.

Another amazing, true story of survival is "unbroken" the story of Louis Zamperini: college track runner, olympic runner, WWII bomber pilot shot down, spent 40 some days on a life raft in the Pacific eating birds fish, then spent 2 years in a horrible Japanese prison camp...and on it goes. The title "unbroken" is wholly apt.