IGNORED

What Are You Reading?

Romey 1878

Been reading a book for a few weeks now, by a guy called Tim Ferriss called 'The 4 Hour body'.

Some of the stuff in it is realy fascinating. It's basically a guys record of a number of experiments he conducted on himself over last 20 or so years leading to a series of 'body hacks/shortcuts.'

• 3 weeks later...

The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris.

Fascinating lifestyle book. This guy has basically dedicated his own body to ongoing scientific experiments with some really interesting results.

I've tried one part of the eating plan in their and dropped nearly 2st in 4 months or so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The greatest footballer you never saw".......The Robin Friday Story!

The skill of Duncan McKenzie, the size, strength and 'playing style' of Duncan Ferguson and the life style of ........, well to be honest no player who valued his health and sanity (those are my words).

Would have loved to have seen him perform.........

Don't suppose anyone on here did see Robin Friday play? 1974-77...Reading/Cardiff City.

• 2 weeks later...

The Operators

I have wanted this for ages now, its a book about a section of the British army known as 14 Company or "The Det" i found out about them through my brother who is a political journo, They were setup in the 1970's to combat terrorism in Ireland and are more secretive and more elite than the SAS or SBS, they had proper James Bond style cars with guns and gadgets built in to them, It was also the first elite service to accept women into it, it was all plain clothes, and the training process was intense, and they all had Bruce Lee levels of unarmed combat skill, and knowledge of every conceivable firearm you can think of. I love all this sort of stuff and im looking forward to getting stuck into it, ive just finished a book about mercenary soldiers as well, which had some scarey info in it, money seriously IS the root of all evil.

• 4 weeks later...

now reading george rr martin - game of thrones. it's ok. i guess.

I just finished the second one (Clash of Kings). Not brilliant I agree but good enough to continue with the series....Josh is currently reading the third one (which is huge....two books in fact) and I'll go back to it when he's done.

after burning everything i had by tom clancy ..

now reading george rr martin - game of thrones. it's ok. i guess.

I just finished the second one (Clash of Kings). Not brilliant I agree but good enough to continue with the series....Josh is currently reading the third one (which is huge....two books in fact) and I'll go back to it when he's done.

sad.png

I'm going to read them at some point and had been told they were brilliant.

I'm going to read them at some point and had been told they were brilliant.

Certainly worth reading Mark....I've read lots worse and I think it's probably that the only point of reference for such an epic (in my experience) is LOTR that it suffers in comparison to.

Just a few niggly criticisms....like (for me) too much description of too many virtually insignificant characters....keep losing track of who's on whose sideunsure.png . And the odd Americanism grates a bit...but as the writer's American I suppose I should forgiverofl.gif .

Certainly worth reading Mark....I've read lots worse and I think it's probably that the only point of reference for such an epic (in my experience) is LOTR that it suffers in comparison to.

Just a few niggly criticisms....like (for me) too much description of too many virtually insignificant characters....keep losing track of who's on whose sideunsure.png . And the odd Americanism grates a bit...but as the writer's American I suppose I should forgiverofl.gif .

The big fear is that he'll never finish the series .. still has two books to write.

I wouldn't compare it to LOTR .. it's more like "The First Law" or "The Night Angel", which are both better imo.

I heard "Malazan Book of the Fallen" was more like LOTR .. will be starting that series soon.

Edited by holystove

• 9 months later...

Holy crap what a twist 100+ pages into A Storm of Swords 2 (second part of the third Game of Thrones book)ohmy.png .

(No spoilers and that's a deliberately vague page numbertongue.png )

Really enjoyed that one....got through it in about four sittings; he's certainly not afraid to kill off big characters! Waiting for "A feast For Crows" to drop through the letter box nowsmile.png .