IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46337353

Forget trying to get the body back, leave the people alone imo. He did a really stupid thing so no need to risk more lives trying to retrieve his remains, went into it with his eyes open and what happened was entirely predictable. 

If we send a Bobby to investigate, he will have to learn how to say 'hello, hello, hello in Sentinelese.

1 minute ago, johnh said:

If we send a Bobby to investigate, he will have to learn how to say 'hello, hello, hello in Sentinelese.

Either that or get a dirty great big bible to hide behind! Honestly these people have lived quite happily for 60,000 years without the need for a mobile phone, flat screen TV and (well meaning I know but highly misguided) "missionaries" flogging their version of God. He could've wiped them out with a sneeze the numpty.

Have no evidence to back this up but a mate of mine who worked in Papua New Guinea for a year told me there were tribes there whose first sight of a wheel was on a plane, leave them alone.

Just now, MikeO said:

Ah yes very nice. You put a pic up once before when there was a festival on I think and there was (from memory) a wine stall just outside.

Yup, every 2 years the street turns into a festival. No sleep is had, but there's plenty of good food and drink :)

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

In the south west an oggie is a Conish Pasty, not a bread roll.

Know an Oggie is the nick name of my mate Paul Hunt who played for Swindon Town when they were in the Premiere league.

He married the daughter of Forrest Greens old Chairman, your brother may well remember Oggie Hunt being that's his patch.

Just had a thought they may have called him Oggie because he was slightly over weight, I'll have to ask him how he got that name.

53 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Excellent, good on them. Food bank had a stand in our local Tesco yesterday and we put a few bits in, bloody scandalous that it's necessary though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Awake in the middle of the night and my brain decides to wonder why we have 12 months of unequal days rather than 13 months with 28 days. Quick Google and I learn Ethiopia have adopted a 13 month calendar but of 12 equal months of 30 days and then an extra month of 5 days or 6 on leap year. Reading a bit further they celebrate new years on the 29th of August, although that day on their calendar is the 11th of September on our calendar. Now I'm thinking 9/11 and why Americans have their months before days. What did people do before the Internet existed? Sleep I bet. 

https://www.mindblowing-facts.org/2013/01/the-country-of-ethiopia-has-13-months-celebrates-new-year-on-september-11th-and-live-in-the-year-2005/

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Awake in the middle of the night and my brain decides to wonder why we have 12 months of unequal days rather than 13 months with 28 days. Quick Google and I learn Ethiopia have adopted a 13 month calendar but of 12 equal months of 30 days and then an extra month of 5 days or 6 on leap year. Reading a bit further they celebrate new years on the 29th of August, although that day on their calendar is the 11th of September on our calendar. Now I'm thinking 9/11 and why Americans have their months before days. What did people do before the Internet existed? Sleep I bet. 

https://www.mindblowing-facts.org/2013/01/the-country-of-ethiopia-has-13-months-celebrates-new-year-on-september-11th-and-live-in-the-year-2005/

search

The International Fixed Calendar (also known as the Cotsworth plan, the Eastman plan, the 13 Month calendar or the Equal Month calendar) is a solar calendar proposal for calendar reform designed by Moses B. Cotsworth, who presented it in 1902.[1] It divides the solar year into 13 months of 28 days each. It is therefore a perennial calendar, with every date fixed to the same weekday every year. Though it was never officially adopted in any country, entrepreneur George Eastman adopted it for use in his Eastman Kodak Company, where it was used from 1928 to 1989.[2] (

(Wikipedia)

Wife (totally illiterate in these matters) was just looking at the computer screen and and asked me what a URL was and had to answer that it was an acronym but I had no idea for what, quickly googled and found out (having correctly guessed the "U" part). Is it just me or does anyone else not know this? 

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wife (totally illiterate is these matters) was just looking at the computer screen and and asked me what a URL was and had to answer that it was an acronym but I had no idea for what, quickly googled and found out (having correctly guessed the "U" part). Is it just me or does anyone else not know this? 

I don't know what url stands for but would I be wrong in thinking it's something to do with you email address, provider or server?

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Hide contents

Uniform Resource Locator

Right Mike still none the wiser for knowing that, to be honest my computer skills and knowledge are very basic but I get by, and at 59 I'm not that to bothered I won't be applying for any IT positions in the near future, and you can't hit a nail in with a hard drive not that I still hit nails in anyway.

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Right Mike still none the wiser for knowing that, to be honest my computer skills and knowledge are very basic but I get by, and at 59 I'm not that to bothered I won't be applying for any IT positions in the near future, and you can't hit a nail in with a hard drive not that I still hit nails in anyway.

With you on that old man (I'm only a youthful 58:D), just struck me that I'd been aware of URL's for many a year without ever wondering what it stood for, though my new knowledge won't help me remotely.......unless it's a question in a pub quiz!

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

With you on that old man (I'm only a youthful 58:D), just struck me that I'd been aware of URL's for many a year without ever wondering what it stood for, though my new knowledge won't help me remotely.......unless it's a question in a pub quiz!

😂. Oh how the younger generation like to ridicule their elders with their new found knowledge of technology😴😃