IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

Been working on a family tree today after signing up to one of those sites where you can access all sorts of records going back hundreds of years, totally addictive! Back to great grandparents from the 1860's on one side of the family and found a first cousin twice removed (my grandfather's brother's granddaughter) and been chatting with her. Learnt stuff I never knew already, my dad virtually never talked about his side of the family because it "broke" when he was young. Had to drag myself off the computer with about twelve windows open to get something to eat, can't believe what the time is.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Been working on a family tree today after signing up to one of those sites where you can access all sorts of records going back hundreds of years, totally addictive! Back to great grandparents from the 1860's on one side of the family and found a first cousin twice removed (my grandfather's brother's granddaughter) and been chatting with her. Learnt stuff I never knew already, my dad virtually never talked about his side of the family because it "broke" when he was young. Had to drag myself off the computer with about twelve windows open to get something to eat, can't believe what the time is.

Sodding update lost my response. Which site Mike? Been talking about it with me mum

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sodding update lost my response. Which site Mike? Been talking about it with me mum

Sorry Matt, https://www.myheritage.com/ is the one I've been using. The DNA test gave me two close matches (along with a couple of thousand "3rd to 5th" cousins) and I upgraded this morning for full records access. Already found out that my grandfathers two brothers who were both younger than him died well before he did, 1935 and 1948 while he struggled on to 1957, I have a picture of the three of them in uniform going off to fight in WW1 and that Archie (my grandfather) and his brother Harry married women who were cousins. Also have an address where the family lived from the 1921 census which looking at streetview has been knocked down (or maybe bombed out in WW2, it was in Harrow).

The match on my mum's side I have to be cautious about, it's a lad in his twenties who's the grandson of my mum's brother, but I know his daughter had drug problems and had kids taken into care so he may not even know who his mum is for all I know; she's OK now and I talk to her occasionally but I'm trying to work out how to deal with that one.

Fascinating stuff though but time consuming, and I'm sure the further back I go the harder it'll be. Definitely recommend it though.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Sorry Matt, https://www.myheritage.com/ is the one I've been using. The DNA test gave me two close matches (along with a couple of thousand "3rd to 5th" cousins) and I upgraded this morning for full records access. Already found out that my grandfathers two brothers who were both younger than him died well before he did, 1935 and 1948 while he struggled on to 1957, I have a picture of the three of them in uniform going off to fight in WW1 and that Archie (my grandfather) and his brother Harry married women who were cousins. Also have an address where the family lived from the 1921 census which looking at streetview has been knocked down (or maybe bombed out in WW2, it was in Harrow).

The match on my mum's side I have to be cautious about, it's a lad in his twenties who's the grandson of my mum's brother, but I know his daughter had drug problems and had kids taken into care so he may not even know who his mum is for all I know; she's OK now and I talk to her occasionally but I'm trying to work out how to deal with that one.

Fascinating stuff though but time consuming, and I'm sure the further back I go the harder it'll be. Definitely recommend it though.

Cheers mate. My mums cousin did it for her side (going back 400 years to Ireland, with Scottish, English, Welsh and French thrown in along the way) but my dads side is a mystery 

Just sold my Audi😪. But I got a decent price and it was daft having that much cash tied up in the drive for most of the time, I only did about 2,000 miles in it in the last year.

I hate haggling, though on this occasion it was easier because I had a "red line" and was quite willing to keep it for another year if it wasn't met, and it was more than met:).

But still....:crying:.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you haven't been to new orleans then.  turtle soup, gator sausage, soft shell crab (you eat the whole crab), raw oysters, crawish, shrimps, redfish, turducken, and i read an article Dr. John loves raccoon and squirrel and has a private chef prepare them both.  

German duck turd? I think I’ll give that one a pass. 

Last time I was in France a couple of years back I sampled oysters for the first time, last day staying with my brother (just me and him, no family) had them in a beautiful Bordeaux square with white wine with a superb busker playing Santana stuff in the background. Brilliant stuff!

Looks a decent menu that Steve, not a frog's legs fan but I'm partial to snails 

Read a long article on "prosperity theology" in the US on the plane today, about Joel Osteen mostly; fastest growing arm of Christianity over there according to the article with more traditional congregations falling. Be interested to hear what our American members views are on that, @Cornish Steve in particular. Sounded a bit frightening to me, but I've obviously only read the one piece, never heard of it before.

46 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Read a long article on "prosperity theology" in the US on the plane today, about Joel Osteen mostly; fastest growing arm of Christianity over there according to the article with more traditional congregations falling. Be interested to hear what our American members views are on that, @Cornish Steve in particular. Sounded a bit frightening to me, but I've obviously only read the one piece, never heard of it before.

people are attracted to what they want.  if you want to be rich, the prosperity gospel churches will appeal to you.  is it correct theology?  no, not at all.  all it takes is one read through the bible to see all the massive holes in the prosperity theology.  jesus himself was in his later years homeless and without any possessions.  hardly rich.  the early church in the book of acts sold their possessions and gave to those in need as a community helping one another.  but if you are greedy and want that big McMansion with the BMW in the driveway that doesn't appeal to you.  helping the poor sick widowed and imprisoned isn'tt "your thing".  so you go to the prosperity gospel church which tells you what you want to hear.

20 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

people are attracted to what they want.  if you want to be rich, the prosperity gospel churches will appeal to you.  is it correct theology?  no, not at all.  all it takes is one read through the bible to see all the massive holes in the prosperity theology.  jesus himself was in his later years homeless and without any possessions.  hardly rich.  the early church in the book of acts sold their possessions and gave to those in need as a community helping one another.  but if you are greedy and want that big McMansion with the BMW in the driveway that doesn't appeal to you.  helping the poor sick widowed and imprisoned isn'tttt "your thing".  so you go to the prosperity gospel church which tells you what you want to hear.

Another disturbing fact in an increasingly frightening World it seems then:(. I'd love to be 19 again but in many ways I'm glad I'm 59, the future is scary.

On 22/05/2019 at 12:55, MikeO said:

Sadly, much of today's more visible Christianity in America is totally un-Christlike. We have a president who is, in almost every respect, the complete opposite of everything Christ stands for yet he's fanatically supported by these same visible Christians. It's more than sad; it's a travesty. I've been mulling over whether or not to publish my second book on this subject.

Let's be clear: Love of money is the root of all evil. The bible does NOT promote a free market economy. The greatest Christian leaders throughout history have proved the point that true followers of Christ learn through suffering and self-sacrifice and struggle, not through material success. This is quite evident when we read their biographies (and I just finished a biography of Thomas Cranmer, for example).

Anyone who even glances at New Testament teaching would soon see that Christians are called to give until it hurts, even to those we might, on the surface, regard as enemies. Members of the earliest churches sold their possessions to give to the poor. The Gentile churches in Asia and Europe raised funds for the struggling Jewish church in Jerusalem, despite themselves being quite poor.

In other words, please don't for one moment believe that Joel Osteen and his ilk represent the cause of Christ, because they absolutely do not. It's not about what we say so much as what we do: We can tell what a tree really is by considering its fruit.

Incidentally, I do not see traditional congregations failing. One of the fastest growing denominations right now is the Orthodox church. Our Episcopal/Anglican church is thriving. Numbers aren't the complete picture: the zeal and impact and unity of local churches counts for much more. Also, self-appointed Christian leaders, often subject to no oversight, may be very visible and regarded by the press as representative of today's Christian faith, but that's deceiving. Those making the biggest impact day-to-day are quietly running food banks and housing the homeless and treating the sick. These never make the headlines and would not want to.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Sadly, much of today's more visible Christianity in America is totally un-Christlike. We have a president who is, in almost every respect, the complete opposite of everything Christ stands for yet he's fanatically supported by these same visible Christians. It's more than sad; it's a travesty. I've been mulling over whether or not to publish my second book on this subject.

Let's be clear: Love of money is the root of all evil. The bible does NOT promote a free market economy. The greatest Christian leaders throughout history have proved the point that true followers of Christ learn through suffering and self-sacrifice and struggle, not through material success. This is quite evident when we read their biographies (and I just finished a biography of Thomas Cranmer, for example).

Anyone who even glances at New Testament teaching would soon see that Christians are called to give until it hurts, even to those we might, on the surface, regard as enemies. Members of the earliest churches sold their possessions to give to the poor. The Gentile churches in Asia and Europe raised funds for the struggling Jewish church in Jerusalem, despite themselves being quite poor.

In other words, please don't for one moment believe that Joel Osteen and his ilk represent the cause of Christ, because they absolutely do not. It's not about what we say so much as what we do: We can tell what a tree really is by considering its fruit.

Incidentally, I do not see traditional congregations failing. One of the fastest growing denominations right now is the Orthodox church. Our Episcopal/Anglican church is thriving. Numbers aren't the complete picture: the zeal and impact and unity of local churches counts for much more. Also, self-appointed Christian leaders, often subject to no oversight, may be very visible and regarded by the press as representative of today's Christian faith, but that's deceiving. Those making the biggest impact day-to-day are quietly running food banks and housing the homeless and treating the sick. These never make the headlines and would not want to.

Thanks for the insight Steve, such a sad state of affairs. As you know I'm not a Christian with a capital "C" but I like to think my approach to life is largely christian with a small "c".

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

yep classic scheme.  sadly they prey on the less educated folks.  whenever i hear anything like that it's easy for me to tell the scammers, but i've grown up in churches my whole life.  it's sad.  if there is a hell (which is debateable) there will be a special place for these bastards.

Just got sent this pic on Facebook from a guy I went to school with (mentioned before, ex-Vapor's drummer and now Labour GE candidate Howard Smith). Must've been the annual five-a -side competition as we normally played in red and five of us are in presumably a "change" strip of blue. I'm second from the right:). My kid brother is to my left and elder bro behind me, not in kit so must've been too old. Quite likely my dad obscured but can't be sure.

Capture.JPG

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Tenth grandchild born today, a boy (called Harrison) so now we have five of each:).

One more needed for the football team, step up Josh (not just yet though eh?).

Congrats Mike.  I've only got four.  You're going to be busy at Christmas!

From the Times today in a TV review..

'I was touched to see that Rod Stewart sang to veterans on Sunday as they travelled to celebrate the D-Day’s anniversary and afterwards posed for photos with some of them, including 93-year-old Leonard Williams of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. “It’s just wonderful that you’ve been able to make the trip at your age,” Leonard told Rod.'

:rofl: