IGNORED

Michael Owen

This is suicide f we do not get rid of saha. We should not be paying big wages to two 30 something injury prone players. I would actually like owen here as I think when he is fit he will score goals but we have to ship out saha who is nothing short of rubbish.

Edited by Memmaclub

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I think that Saha is a great substitute striker and I don't mind him being here. He isn't starting material but when he comes from the bench he can take advantage of tired defenses and make things happen. I wouldn't ship him out yet as i think he still has one more season in him.

i agree with getting rid of saha for owen, i've said it a few times. i don't think we need both it'seither or for me. personally i think owen is a better plyer with more to offer but i like saha too but i wouldn't want them both...wages and playing time.

This Owen deal is looking more and more likely :(

SkyBet have us as favourites at 11/4.

Only slightly ahead of Spurs and City at 4/1 though.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/footba...transfer-window

I don't think his wages at that level would cause the rest of the squad any problem. They're not daft, they know he's a higher profile player than they are and it's not as if £50k is on a different planet to what they're on. He's a world name, he'd add to the club's global profile.

It'd be a gamble certainly but so was Andy Gray :P .

Undecided personally....I think I'll leave this one to Davey :D .

The problem I have with Owen is that he would not suit our style of play. We usually operate with a loan striker. Owen can not play like that. The wages, of true, are not too horrific and having a high calibre name such as Owen would be good for branding and attracting a more global audience. However I can't see him doing it on the pitch, even if he regained fitness. I just don't think he would be suited to how we play and he's not a good enough player anymore to re-shuffle the offenisve aspect of our team around him

He'll be on a free.. over four years he'll cost around £10m on 50k a week.. He's still a big name.. it all depends on whether Moyes thinks he's worth it. I'd gladly take him.

I agree 100%. Quite honestly we couldn't play a 4-3-3 even if we wanted to. Here is our current group of strikers

Yak (coming off major injury)

Saha (a good 3rd striker/spot starter...but with injury concerns, shouldn't be relied upon)

Vaughan (I feel bad for the lad but the fact is he can't stay on the pitch)

Anichebe (Don't rate him at all...would be a coup if we could use him to get Ledley)

Baxter (Shouldn't even see the first team squad yet honestly)

Yak/Saha/Vaughan/Owen, while all injury prone, would at least give us some 4-4-2 flexibility. It isn't just about the starters...it's about when the Yak is gassed do we have any quality options on the bench?

Call me nuts, but I think we really missed having a James McFadden type player last year.

Call me nuts, but I think we really missed having a James McFadden type player last year.

Except that he was out injured all season. Maybe we'll see him again next year.

If we can get Owen on a 2 year contract then it would probably be worth a punt. Any other striker even in the same ballpark would cost us well more than 10 million just in a transfer fee.

If we can get Owen on a 2 year contract then it would probably be worth a punt. Any other striker even in the same ballpark would cost us well more than 10 million just in a transfer fee.

Eh? We sold him to birmingham nearly a year ago now :S Keep up lad! :lol:

Guest efctaxi
Eh? We sold him to birmingham nearly a year ago now :S Keep up lad! :lol:

Somehow , I think he knew that . :)

The good thing about signing Owen is that he is very easy to photograph without getting a blurred picture .

Think he was mixing his James's....McFudge & Vaughan :) .

He is an American after all and you know how they struggle with the English language :cowboy: .

If we could get him on £50k a week as is being reported I think I would take the gamble on him especially if it meant we had more cash to spend on other areas of the squad

He has been written off so many times before and has always bounced back so if he does it again it would be money well spent. My only concern is that his main asset has always been his pace and he does appear to have lost a yard these days

I've probably said it before but I think we should get him, on the basis he will be free and if we can get him on 50k wages thats a decent investment, we all know how good Moyes is at getting players to their best, who knows if he does come to us he could turn his form right around. Owen + Yakubu up front is a pretty scary strikeforce B)

Guest efctaxi
no signing fee and 50,000 a week will be a good deal for someone who will always get you goals, saha doesnt look interested and if owen wants to get back in england squad he will give it his all for us.

Why doesn't Saha look interested ?

I think he has done ok in his bit part role this season considering all things .

Sure , he's not always looked sharp , but recently , he seems to have picked up a bit , and despite 8 goals , and playing 2nd fiddle to Jo , he's certainly worth keeping hold of and seeing if he can stay fit .

Regarding Owen and England , would you really want a guy who only gives his all when there is some personal benefit to be gained ?

If Owen joins us , and it's a big if , then he will have to work very hard to prove a lot of doubters wrong , and with so many categories that are in doubt , that is some challenge .

Next year , after he has scored 30 goals , played all games , and won Moyes another Manager of the year award , by getting us into Europe with a top 4 finish , most of us including myself will hold our hands up and state how wrong we were to misjudge the finest Everton striker in decades , but I wouldn't hold our breath , unless we want to add a blue face to our blue hearts . :)

What percentage of his interest is on football and what percentage on horses ?

How many times have Everton taken on a burnt out flame , from Ginola to Gasgoine to Hughes , in the hope they will rekindle the old spark ?

no signing fee and 50,000 a week will be a good deal for someone who will always get you goals, saha doesnt look interested and if owen wants to get back in england squad he will give it his all for us.

he would get a very healthy signing on fee.

and saha doesnt look interested? :huh:

How many times have Everton taken on a burnt out flame , from Ginola to Gasgoine to Hughes , in the hope they will rekindle the old spark ?

hughes, ginola and gascgoine were long gone before they signed.

owen is still 29, should have a couple of good years in him, only one way to find out though.

I don't know why people are saying we don't need another striker - this is michael owen for free we are talking about - get him through a good injury free pre-season and we've got another 20 goal a season striker for just his £50k odd a week - £2.5m a season. It's a gamble too good not to take.

His signing on fee may be big but just think how many shirts will have owen on the back next season...

Signing Owen would be like getting a Sierra Cosworth, in it's day a great looking car. Problem is , buy one now - even for peanuts, it looks dated, not as quick, expensive to run, supseptible bodywork, and all your mates who used to have one would laugh - especially when they have a porsche like Torres in the garage.

Everton had become somewhat of an Elephants grave yard (Hughes, Ginola, Gascoigne) - I thought we were getting away from that.

Why not go for a young lad with shear pace and strength (the football manager database will help) - would Wenger sign Owen? No. He would do his usual and buy a player with the raw attributes that he could mould.

Football has moved on alot since Owen was prolific, forwards do a lot more for the team and have a wider variety of attributes and all round play, how does Owen's game compare to a Samuel Eto, Torres, Rooney, Aguero, Henry, Drogba, Anelka, Adebuyor, Pato, the list goes on. Forward players nowadays need to be not just pacey but strong, good in the air because centre halves have become far more athletic.

I would sooner have Nugent than Owen, at least his heart would be in it, plus he can hold the ball up. Ebanks blake? These lads deserve a chance, lets face it, Owen has never been the same player he was in 98/99, without his pace, he relies on clever movement, and to be perfectly honest he is a six yard box merchant as his distance finishing is poor.

A player who has sporting commitments outside of football (horse racing) is not hungry enough to play for this club.

i'm unsure on owen. He was a great player at liverpool, then he moved to madrid an his football career went down hill from there an sank even lower when he signed for Jokecastle. You seen at jokecastle his heart wasn't in it.

However he is a boyhood blue and is on a free transfer.

The one thing you know about owen is when he is on the pitch he will score goals.

Also he is a very nice guy and very experianced player who i feel could help the younger players by passing on his seeds of knowledge.

Signing Owen would be like getting a Sierra Cosworth, in it's day a great looking car. Problem is , buy one now - even for peanuts, it looks dated, not as quick, expensive to run, supseptible bodywork, and all your mates who used to have one would laugh - especially when they have a porsche like Torres in the garage.

:D Perfect answer. Post of the day for that man. That pretty much sums it up perfectly in my books.

Edited by jamiemaher85

Everton had become somewhat of an Elephants grave yard (Hughes, Ginola, Gascoigne) - I thought we were getting away from that.

Why not go for a young lad with shear pace and strength (the football manager database will help) - would Wenger sign Owen? No. He would do his usual and buy a player with the raw attributes that he could mould.

Football has moved on alot since Owen was prolific, forwards do a lot more for the team and have a wider variety of attributes and all round play, how does Owen's game compare to a Samuel Eto, Torres, Rooney, Aguero, Henry, Drogba, Anelka, Adebuyor, Pato, the list goes on. Forward players nowadays need to be not just pacey but strong, good in the air because centre halves have become far more athletic.

I would sooner have Nugent than Owen, at least his heart would be in it, plus he can hold the ball up. Ebanks blake? These lads deserve a chance, lets face it, Owen has never been the same player he was in 98/99, without his pace, he relies on clever movement, and to be perfectly honest he is a six yard box merchant as his distance finishing is poor.

A player who has sporting commitments outside of football (horse racing) is not hungry enough to play for this club.

what does his price tag compare to them aswell? fact is if we need another striker has it has been so much said we cant afford to go blowing a huge amount of money on one so owen on a free would be good. we cant afford a torres so thats why we dont have our porsche. they are the facts and thats that. the money we do have needs to go to better use! we already have vaughan and anichebe and also baxter coming through and only yakubu and saha the only proven out and out strikers so why go and get another unproven one?

Guest efctaxi

Yes , he has brought some kids through , but Wenger wouldn't buy Owen ........ because ........... he's just bought Arshavin ( not quite a raw talent he can mould ) :)