IGNORED

Benfica (Away)

FairWooney

Everyone has mentioned the issues with our fullbacks, so I I'll add something different.

The thing that let us down the most was our passing up forward. It was fucking disgusting!! I reckon we must have set some sort of record for turnovers because it honestly seemed like Cahill, Fellaini, Yakubu and Jo were trying their hardest to give it to the opposition. I am really lost for words at how simple, simple passes under no pressure turned out so woefully.

On top of that our center backs decided that it wasn't important to mark the strikers, and our midfielders constantly decided not to follow the direct opponents after they had made a pass. Have they never heard of the basic give-and-go routine?!

Everyone has mentioned the issues with our fullbacks, so I I'll add something different.

The thing that let us down the most was our passing up forward. It was fucking disgusting!! I reckon we must have set some sort of record for turnovers because it honestly seemed like Cahill, Fellaini, Yakubu and Jo were trying their hardest to give it to the opposition. I am really lost for words at how simple, simple passes under no pressure turned out so woefully.

On top of that our center backs decided that it wasn't important to mark the strikers, and our midfielders constantly decided not to follow the direct opponents after they had made a pass. Have they never heard of the basic give-and-go routine?!

Yeh I totally agree with the first bit. The whole passing and movement was pretty much non existant. The only passes we did make were backwards ones which ended up in a hoof up the pitch to 2 forwards who arent the greatest in the air!

I kind of feel a bit for the CB's though because the Fb's were so easily and consistently ripped apart. The midfield 2 didnt drop back and help the much so it meant a lot of the time they were at the best 2 on 2 and sometimes 4 on 2 of which when combined with quality movement (which there was) is always going to be dificult for the CBs to manage.

Hi. I've just came from the stadium now. I am a Benfica supporter.

It is true we are beginning to get used to results like this in our League, but i've never expected it against Everton.

I was expecting a strong attacking Everton, putting a lot of pressure in Aimar, Di Maria and Ramires, and above all, i wasn't expecting that Distin would let Cardozo loose for a minute.

In two weeks i'll be in GP to watch Everton - Benfica, and (of course) i am hoping to win, though i know that Di Maria wont have the same "tolerance" he had today, it will be a great game, between two Legendary teams.

I know that Everton couldn't play with some of its top players, but so did we: our fullbacks Schaffer (left) and Maxi (right) did not play also.

I sincerely hope that both teams will be at their best at GP.

I'm going to try and keep this brief so that I can get on with forgetting last night.

Moyes is fucking crap tactically! :angry:. He needs to have a word with himself, nevermind his players.

I expected us to get fucked (and we did, spectacularly) because the line-up we put out there was pretty crap, so I can somewhat accept it. What I can't accept, and what hurts like hell, is that there was no fight put up by the players, no passion, no effort. Especially by a certain skippy <_<. In the first half we more than held our own, albeit without looking threatening, but we totally capitulated in the second half.

Howard - I don't think he could have done anything for their goals, I could be wrong though.

Gosling - He can't pass, he's slow as fuck, he can't tackle, he has no strength, he can't take throw-ins. He's just got nothing in his locker.

Hibbert - I thought he had an OK game, but wtf was he doing for their 5th? He made the error and then the little prick just gave up and let Di Maria go :angry:.

Distin - He may have made a mistake but for most of the game he was playing CB and LB because Coleman had gone walkabout. My MOTM simply because it could have got to double figures without him at the back.

Coleman - I pray his performance was just down to nerves etc because, if not, then the lad can't defend for crap and it thick in the head.

Cahill - The player who most disappointed me. He's captain and he hid all fucking night, and again, he hung Gosling out to dry. He needs a good bollocking and dropping because this sort of performance isn't good enough, and it's not the first. Of course he won't be dropped (even if we have more options) because Moyes doesn't have the balls or nouse to do it.

Rodwell - He needs a rest badly, but I thought he was the best of our midfielders tbh. He was playing as two CM's because of the shitness that was Fellaini, and while he didn't stamp his authority on the game he at least tried, unlike others.

Fellaini - Horseshit. I really thought this would be a game where he would step up and show something, but he let everyone down, again.

Bily - He needs to work on his movement. The amount of times we had the ball down the left and he was completely static was unbearable.

Jo - Offered more than the Yak did, that's something at least. And to be fair to him, and the Yak, they nothing to work with all night because we have no midfield.

Yakubu - A completely different player to that who came on against Wolves. He looked lethargic from start to finish.

What the feck is it with felliani?

Good close control, size, passing ability....but he's shite!

Strolls around the pitch, no urgency when he is passing, doesn't use his size to intimidate other players, slow as feck.

Christ. Get rid. Don't care if he scored a few goals last year. He's shite.

LOL

i know that you must NEVER underestimate a portuguese team..but everton is never going to be outclassed like that by benfica.

and if they are, it is because of the gods trying to make me look like a fool on toffeetalk.

I hope the same gods are offering a good stream online, don't want to miss this one!

edit: my prono.. I'm going for a 1-1

What a fool I am :unsure:

I'm going to try and keep this brief so that I can get on with forgetting last night.

Moyes is fucking crap tactically! :angry:. He needs to have a word with himself, nevermind his players.

I expected us to get fucked (and we did, spectacularly) because the line-up we put out there was pretty crap, so I can somewhat accept it. What I can't accept, and what hurts like hell, is that there was no fight put up by the players, no passion, no effort. Especially by a certain skippy <_<. In the first half we more than held our own, albeit without looking threatening, but we totally capitulated in the second half.

Howard - I don't think he could have done anything for their goals, I could be wrong though.

Gosling - He can't pass, he's slow as fuck, he can't tackle, he has no strength, he can't take throw-ins. He's just got nothing in his locker.

Hibbert - I thought he had an OK game, but wtf was he doing for their 5th? He made the error and then the little prick just gave up and let Di Maria go :angry:.

Distin - He may have made a mistake but for most of the game he was playing CB and LB because Coleman had gone walkabout. My MOTM simply because it could have got to double figures without him at the back.

Coleman - I pray his performance was just down to nerves etc because, if not, then the lad can't defend for crap and it thick in the head.

Cahill - The player who most disappointed me. He's captain and he hid all fucking night, and again, he hung Gosling out to dry. He needs a good bollocking and dropping because this sort of performance isn't good enough, and it's not the first. Of course he won't be dropped (even if we have more options) because Moyes doesn't have the balls or nouse to do it.

Rodwell - He needs a rest badly, but I thought he was the best of our midfielders tbh. He was playing as two CM's because of the shitness that was Fellaini, and while he didn't stamp his authority on the game he at least tried, unlike others.

Fellaini - Horseshit. I really thought this would be a game where he would step up and show something, but he let everyone down, again.

Bily - He needs to work on his movement. The amount of times we had the ball down the left and he was completely static was unbearable.

Jo - Offered more than the Yak did, that's something at least. And to be fair to him, and the Yak, they nothing to work with all night because we have no midfield.

Yakubu - A completely different player to that who came on against Wolves. He looked lethargic from start to finish.

Great summary.

Completely agree with everythin Rome, the bit about Cahill is spot on. Im hugely disappointed with him, he was the player the young guys needed tonight, to show grit and to grab their collar...none of that happened. Not only that, he couldnt beat a man, pass, track back, go forward. One occasion especially, he had time and space, took the ball down off his chest and instead of moving forward turned and put a lofted ball BACKWARDS towards Hibbert who was no more than 5 feet away from Saviolva....well done smart arse!! wtf!?!? and obviously Hibbertoni flaps and passes out to Distin who admitingly has to hoof under pressure from Cordoza...there was no need at all.

No energy, no fight, no imputus to go forward. I think the background staff, Round included need to look at themselves and start utilising their attacking options because even our most attack minded players want to go backwards. But then again thats the price when your manager is an ex-defender and your assistant is a defence coach! Get some balls, get another assistant in, preferbly an attack minded one and score some fuckin goals and stop looking to go backwards the minute you're in possession!!

Scoring many takes the pressure off your defenders, and with the crisis we're in thats only a good thing, Benfica showed brilliantly how to do that. DiMaria was unplayable tonight, im afraid to say tho 'fica fans he wont be there for much longer ;) Inter will come knocking!

I think once our boys are back we will be ok, it was one result at the end of the day but it just shows how one player can affect the whole team (Pienaar was injured prior to the Stoke game, doesnt it amaze how much of our attacking play goes through him? and i for one didnt ever think that)

Mid Novemebr, hopefully everyone will be there and there abouts, i cant fukcing wait...we need it!

I just had a thought. 'fica fans take this into consideration will you, ive devised a list that shows our injured (or suspended/ineligible) and your players as equivilants i.e Ramires - Arteta

Here's the list:

Arteta - Ramires

Jagielka - Luisao

Pienaar - Di Maria

Yobo - Luiz

Osman - Martins

Baines - Peixoto

Neville - Garcia

Heitinga - Pereiria

Neil - Shaffer

Anichebe - Weldon?? Couldnt think of anyone closer lol

So boys tell us how you'd have done with a starting 11 missing all of the above against a full strength Everton team with Arteta and Pienaar on FIRE!

I know how it would go ;)

I just had a thought. 'fica fans take this into consideration will you, ive devised a list that shows our injured (or suspended/ineligible) and your players as equivilants i.e Ramires - Arteta

Here's the list:

Arteta - Ramires

Jagielka - Luisao

Pienaar - Di Maria

Yobo - Luiz

Osman - Martins

Baines - Peixoto

Neville - Garcia

Heitinga - Pereiria

Neil - Shaffer

Anichebe - Weldon?? Couldnt think of anyone closer lol

So boys tell us how you'd have done with a starting 11 missing all of the above against a full strength Everton team with Arteta and Pienaar on FIRE!

I know how it would go ;)

Of course we know that the real Everton is not that team in blue that showed up in Luz yesterday.

We are not expecting a rampage like yesterday at GP.

IMO Pienaar is one of the best wingers in the Premier (maybe we could buy him from u guys after we sell Di Maria to Inter or Barça...).

I'll be coming to GP to watch the game, and i'm counting on a strong and offensive Everton, putting some high pressure on our playmaker and not leting our Fullbacks attack.

Benfica plays on a diamond tactic, the FB goes up many times (we play with fake wingers, Di Maria, Ramires, Coentrão or Martins wander around,not being static in the sidelines).

If a team can put pressure in Aimar and Garcia,and above all stop our FBs from attacking, Benfica will have some serious issues.

U guys got the players to do that, but IMO, Moyes knows less about footbal than my daughters do...

Oh Dear, Oh Dear. There is nothing much to add that really hasn't been said already. The starting eleven inspired as much confidence as lying on a lilo in a force ten gale. Having said that we where totally outclassed by a team that played football as it should. We can argue that we made it easy for them but as we would say, "you can only beat whats in front of you" and Benfica did that with style. We just didn't turn up, we didn't show any fight or spirit and that was the most galling thing for the thousands of us who had to witness it first hand. I only got home early hours this morning so I don't know yet what Moyes' and the clubs' reaction has been. A sort of thanks and apology to the travelling support would be a start before the recriminations to the squad.

Not wishing to be rude, but who are Nacional?

It is not like putting six past Sporting is it?

Mind you, you can only beat the team in front of you as the saying goes.

Benfica are doing very well at the moment. Good luck to you for that.

Although I would sooner watch Eusebio and Garincha playing.

Not wishing to be rude, but who are Nacional?

It is not like putting six past Sporting is it?

Mind you, you can only beat the team in front of you as the saying goes.

Benfica are doing very well at the moment. Good luck to you for that.

Although I would sooner watch Eusebio and Garincha playing.

Actually if Nacional even draw yesterday they would get ahead of Sporting in the league standings, they have the same amount of points, even though Sporting will play today. Nacional to play the Europa League Group Stage knocked out Zenit. They are a pretty decent side... dont underestimate them. They draw against Sporting 1-1 on the first league game.

But of course we are not unbeatable, and we wont trash every team every game and its always how you finish it... but moral is high and every team that play against us must give us some credit and respect or they will get trashed like the rest.

I look forward to the game in Goodison, knowing that it can settle the dispute around the first place of the group, a draw wouldnt be bad for Benfica, but I recon that our players will play to win no matter what, and yours will try to redeem themselves... so it will be an interesting game, with a great athmosphere, and may the best team win.

Edited by nullus

Actually if Nacional even draw yesterday they would get ahead of Sporting in the league standings, they have the same amount of points, even though Sporting will play today. Nacional to play the Europa League Group Stage knocked out Zenit. They are a pretty decent side... dont underestimate them. They draw against Sporting 1-1 on the first league game.

But of course we are not unbeatable, and we wont trash every team every game and its always how you finish it... but moral is high and every team that play against us must give us some credit and respect or they will get trashed like the rest.

I look forward to the game in Goodison, knowing that it can settle the dispute around the first place of the group, a draw wouldnt be bad for Benfica, but I recon that our players will play to win no matter what, and yours will try to redeem themselves... so it will be an interesting game, with a great athmosphere, and may the best team win.

National lack ambition. If you've watched their games in Europe this season, you can see that. They've had all their games pretty much controled, and lost or drew them all in the final moments.

As for us, nothing needs to be said, really... We have the fullbacks we have, and yet, for some reason, the board thinks it's more important to get Caicedo and Angulo... Finally we have some sort of consistency in defence, with Polga (finally) gone, but creatively, we're doing crap, and it's clear this teams doesn't work without Izmailov. I have little hopes this year, especially if Bettencourt keeps Bento for much longer.

As for you guys, it's clear this week that you'r not unbeatable. ;)

I'm not a big braga fan, but someone needed to ground you guys, and trust me, better now than later on. It's gonna be an interesting match in Goodison, after your defeat yesterday...

• 5 years later...