IGNORED

Sporting Lisbon

MikeO

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good old Everton!.....do it the hard way.

I would have liked to see Coleman come on for Neville who really isn't a threat down that side when we were two up.Good games from Cahill, Pienaar and Ossie.

Really needed that third and a clean sheet, would have given us breathing space for the return, the chance to rotate a tad and hitting them on the break as they came looking for 4 goals.....never mind.

We really need to score next leg, 1-0 to them and were out :angry:

Hey, guys. A nice game, that was. As you can see, we're keeping up our no-win streak, and, while I agree that the game here will be tough for you, it's not gonna be easy for us either.

Home form has been terrible this season, we've played better away, and, if Everton play it smart and keep us tied up, time will definitely work in your favour, as the fans will start complaining fast, and this team isn't responding well to pressure.

Nevertheless, I hope we go through, of course, I didn't like getting Everton just out of the group stage, I'd rather played you guys in the final ;)

It's a fair result, I think. Everton did play a tad better, but not enough for a 2 goal advantage.

And benfica_suporter, good luck against Herta. It'll be good to see you guys contributing with some points for our European ranking, for a change... ;)

good win tonight, however the away goal was a serious disappointment! even more disappointing was listening to the radio phone in and people calling for Phil Nevilles head!? Granted Neville isnt the best passer of the ball or getting forward but we really missed his influence on the team when he was injured and it is no suprise that we have started picking up points with him back in the team. Coleman is a great prospect but we need neville in our team and right back is his best position, we know he doesnt get forward alot but he does his job well as a right back. he gets the ball either gets rid or makes a easy ball. with landon donnovan playing right wing we need a player like neville to sit back and cover. Neville may not be the most popular with fans because he isnt the most charasmetic and his united background but without a doubt we need him in our lineup!

Tonights result was good but not perfect, i would like to see us go for it abit more but hey we won. although tonight proves that yobo and distin cannot play together, distin needs a player who leads and talks to him(jonny) and yobo just aint that player. i cannot wait to see jags and jonny together at the back, that is a centre half partnership which would scare alot of strikers!

the news of felli being out for the season is terrible news, he was just getting to show his potential and looking class in the defensive mid role. this now opens the door for rodwell to step in and claim his midfield place, arteta is class but he is not fit enough yet or strong enough to just play in the centre along side osman. i would like to see rodwell and mikel in the middle together now.... is think mikel can bring the best out of rodwell. gutted about felli though!

COYB, lets get a good result against utd who have a massive game tonight and may (hopeful) be jaded!

Tonights result was good but not perfect, i would like to see us go for it abit more but hey we won. although tonight proves that yobo and distin cannot play together, distin needs a player who leads and talks to him(jonny) and yobo just aint that player. i cannot wait to see jags and jonny together at the back, that is a centre half partnership which would scare alot of strikers!

Nonsense. They both had fantastic games, Sporting barely got a sniff. Rodwell gave Distin a very difficult ball to deal with and he nearly got himself out of it, just needed to hold off on his challenge as he had the angle.

I don't think Liedsen was involved until he earned the penalty. Not sure how you can slag off our CBs based on that performance.

I agree, both Distin and Yobo had very good games, apart from the final mistake by Distin, which I mostly blame on the abysmal bouncing pass he received from Rodwell. Yobo looked like the player I know and love, he was committed, alert, super fast and looked back to his best - maybe the kidnap of his brother during pre season really hit him early on as he was unbelievably poor then. Once Yobo is on his game I believe he's one of the best CB's in the country and he and Jags/Heitinga could be awesome together. Baines is playing well again, Yakubu looked good, Cahill was excellent, Arteta still looked a little rusty but still played some nice incisive passes, Pienaar was good and Howard made some excellent saves. Sporting looked very poor imo, we should have put the game to bed but I cannot see us not scoring a goal or two over there so we shouldn't have anything to fear.

WTF was Rodwell thinking? :blink:. Why ping the ball at Distin when all that was called for was a calmly passed ball? Distin should have dealt with the situation better, i.e. bring the player down outside the box at least! He was having a really good game til that point as well. Them scoring so late on shouldn't have even mattered because we should have been way out of sight by that point, we had the game totally under control. But now, we're going to go into the second leg very cautious and defensive and that could be our undoing, especially because we'll have a different central pairing.

I don't think we played particularly well but we weren't bad either, we were just flat for the most part. We sparked into life every now and again. But we didn't need to play that well in truth. They were very pretty in posession but you could tell they were lacking in confidence and didn't really have any cutting edge at all. Plus, every time their defence was put under any sort of pressure they couldn't handle it. We must do more of that in the second-leg and not sit on our lead.

Howard - Made a couple of crucial saves and had a good game all round.

Neville - Awful, again. Shocking defensively, offered nothing going forward, put ball after ball aimlessly down the line to no one. At one point Donovan told him where to put the ball and he put it in a completely different place. Oh and his throw-ins are a complete waste of time.

Yobo - I was worried about him before the game but I thought he had a really solid game and put in a very good performance.

Distin - Same as Yobo. He probably should have done better with the pass but that was a suicide ball from Rodwell.

Baines - Had a stormer going forward and was our main outlet in that regard. If only he was as good defensively...

Donovan - Like I said in the other thread; he showed glimpses of what he's about but just wasn't on his game.

Osman - I thought he had a brilliant game. A few things didn't work out for him but he never stopped trying to create and he was even helping out defensively. He was just everywhere. My MOTM.

Arteta - He was far too off the pace and didn't really add anything to our game.

Pienaar - A bit disappointed with Peanuts tbh. He showed a few nice touches but wasn't really influential at all, other than his goal obviously.

Cahill - Brilliant, again, and ran Osman close for MOTM. His link-up play with everyone, not only Saha, was lovely to see. What a touch to set Pienaar up! Typically, he chased every ball and put their defence under pressure. It's a shame about his injury and I hope it's not too serious.

Saha - He may not have got his name on the teamsheet but he was a team player last night. Tracked back, hustled their defence, made himself available and dropped back if need be.

Didn't realise last night that Howard had pushed Izmailov's shot onto the post so it could have been worse. Good save.

Also lucky Distin's goal counted....was surprised last night that it was allowed and the TV confirms we were fortunate (although last night I thought the keeper was saying Distin put it in with his arm, but looked like he was complaining about being impeded by TC...he certainly had a case).

Nonsense. They both had fantastic games, Sporting barely got a sniff. Rodwell gave Distin a very difficult ball to deal with and he nearly got himself out of it, just needed to hold off on his challenge as he had the angle.

I don't think Liedsen was involved until he earned the penalty. Not sure how you can slag off our CBs based on that performance.

I'am not slagging our defence off because of that performance however i still believe Distin needs a player next to him who will shout and tell him where to go etc. I thought they played well against sporting, and yes that was because Liedsen didnt offer anything to Sportings attack. That was a difficult ball played by rodwell i agree but i felt a premiership centre half who trains almost everyday should be able to control it? Yobo looked back to what we all know he can do, the start of the season he was poor but tonight he looked sharp and calm on the ball, i have not been a fan of Distin for a while so my "slagging" of him isnt due to that penalty last night. most evertonians imo look at the team when its distin and yobo and think there could be some errors being made here, they dont bring confidence to the back four. IMO yobo was great last night, distin was ok, but overall i think Distin should be a squad player nothing more, IMO he does too many sloppy passes, jumps into tackles too much (ie last night when the right mid just knocked it past him and he went on his behind) and gets himself into bad positions. he has looked better alongside Jonny.... but for me he wont be my 1st or second choice centre half.

jags and jonny for me! lets hope tim isnt out for the Utd game though, we really need him for such a big game! COYB!

just found the highlights, though not fantastic quality:

http://watchonlinesoccer.com/2010/02/everton-vs-sporting-cp-lisbon-2-1-highlights-16-feb-2010/

didnt look like a pen to me, Distin was just too strong for the guy. dont get to see the pass in those highlights either.

Well, the thing is, if you're behind an opponent and push him, it's a foul...

Distin lost the position, he wasn't disputing side by side, and he didn't go for the ball, and that's that.

Another thing to watch out for Liedson, he never gives up on these sort of plays, he fights for every possession, the whole match. And while he was well covered for most of the game, he did show a few glimpses of what he can do to a defense if they give him time and/or space.

If, in 2 weeks time, we've bounced back, won a few games, and have a bit of restored confidence, you'll probably get a tough game. Nevertheless, I just want this season over as fast as possible. I never thought it could get worse than last year, but here we are.

To be honest it was a total fuck up between Rodwell and Distin but we should have been out of sight. Like Davey said there was too many sideways balls late on instead of pushing on. They got too much space late on by that nippy left winger and i was screaming for Moyes to stick Shamus on to "dog" him. They are a poor team in all honesty and i fully expect us to go through.