IGNORED

Man Utd

adamsmith69

Superb. Granted, United had an off-day but a big reason for that has to be that we didn't let them settle and play. We hassled them, we kept the ball well most of the time and we played some decent stuff. Numerous really good performances - Jonny, Peanuts, Landon and top marks for Goose & Jack. Jack's goal was wonderful. However, my top marks go to Osman - possibly his best performance for us, bar none.

Get in!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb. Granted, United had an off-day but a big reason for that has to be that we didn't let them settle and play.

Spot on Phil. Credit must go to us for tactics, endeavour, skill and passion. Man Utd did not show that today, and why? because we never allowed them to show it. All round from Moyes, his back room team and a great BIG thanks to the team in showing that we can adapt to needs and play to win a game. I am back home now and debating whether to sneak to the local for the football debates and MOTD or sit in the sanctuary of the house with the rest of the blue clan, with a few beers and enjoy the highlights....................I think my mind has been made up. :D

it was both...what the hell do you want? players all got stuck in after a dodgy start after first 10 minutes though we easily outplayed one of the best teams in the world...how is that not fantastic?? please tell me what you would want?

We won!......3-1 against one of the best sides in europe, that is a fantastic result!!

It was not a fatastic performance!.....It was workman like, we stoped a very average Man utd (today) from performing.I've seen Everton play better than that...today was a pretty good performance.......for christs sake people are going over the top, because it was Man Utd.We played better against Chelsea and other teams.

We've passed the ball better.....defended better and made more scoring chances than we did today......Osman stood out today! but he wasn't FANTASTIC.....HE WAS good, and he was our best player....check out the man of the match thread.

I know your excited, match of the day will be on in an hour and a half.

And you ask what I want!....I want to win every game, and I don't care how we do it, but I know the difference between a fantastic performance and a good one.

Rooney was poor today, his touch let him down a few times, I said in a earlier post that Rooney is Man utd ( at the moment)....today he was poor!for that we must be gratefull.

If you were to tell me that today Everton were fantastic and we could not perform any better than that, never have a tighter defence, a more creative midfield and not look more of an attacking threat......then I'd be worried.

Would you be happy if that was us at our best!.......

your welcome to your oppinion and me, mine.

It was not a fatastic performance!...

I don't pretend to be an expert, but these guys broadcast to millions so one would assume they know a little about Football..

"magnificent performance" - Lineker

"the quality of their play from start to finish was absolutely fantastic" - Hansen

Edited by Kohen

Beat me to it Kohen :P . You missed out...

"...it was like Manchester United were in Blue..." (Hansen)

Also we should have had two penalties. Stonewall for me...Rooney's blatant push on Heitinga and Fletcher's handball before the Donovan chance. Could have been four or five.

Also we should have had two penalties. Stonewall for me...Rooney's blatant push on Heitinga and Fletcher's handball before the Donovan chance. Could have been four or five.

Never in a million years was the Rooney push! a penalty :lol:

Maybe if our performance had been fantastic.....we would have had 4 or 5!

Suddenly people are saying Hansen and Lineker are the final word, whilst usually they are touted as talking out of their arses!

Hansen and crew also said United were very poor and Rooney (Mr United) didn't perform.

So I guess that means they were talking sence tonight :blink:

Other than the goals I didn't really see either team create too many clear cut chances, United did ,according to match of the day create a few a few in the second half to our none :(

Haven't seen United many times this season, but I'm glad we played them today.

The handball incident for Mikeo's other penalty....his arm never moved, he made no attempt to contact with the ball.....never a handball.

Edited by Blue 250

Wasn't it Wes Brown that touched the ball with his hands? Anyway, I didn't think that was a penalty. And Rooney jumping into Heitinga wasn't that bad either. Referee had a solid game.

Heitinga goes up for a free header and Rooney barges into his back with his hands on his shoulders.

Wes Brown (was indeed him and not Fletcher) watches the ball onto his arm and makes no attempt to get it out of the way....if he doesn't handle it it goes through to Saha with an open goal.

Both could easily have been given.

Heitinga goes up for a free header and Rooney barges into his back with his hands on his shoulders.

Wes Brown (was indeed him and not Fletcher) watches the ball onto his arm and makes no attempt to get it out of the way....if he doesn't handle it it goes through to Saha with an open goal.

Both could easily have been given.

I'm afraid our new 'hard man' Heitinga did a bit of a Gerrard for that challange :(

and only Surgeon could have done something about Browns arm!

Wasn't something said about our last penalty against United at home was Sheedy and he missed, our last penalty scorer was.....Joe Royle :o ....so it probably wasn't time for another one just so soon!

Edited by Blue 250

I'm afraid our new 'hard man' Heitinga did a bit of a Gerrard for that challange :(

and only Surgeon could have done something about Browns arm!

Wasn't something said about our last penalty against United at home was Sheedy and he missed, our last penalty scorer was.....Joe Royle :o ....so it probably wasn't time for another one just so soon!

I wouldn't say it was that bad, not bad enough to liken him to Gerrard. Johnny was a big part of why Rooney was so quiet yesterday, thorn in his side.

No we weren't at our best, but we did get our tactics spot on, in fornt of and behind the ball.

I thought we started the game poorly and when they went 1-0 up I thought "here we go again!", but once we scored and got back into the game we looked fine, especially in the second half where. barring a couple of scares, we looked the more likely to win the game. When we hoofed the ball (which thankfully was minimal) Manure looked comfortable but when we got the ball down and played they didn't really have an answer to it tbh, and we took full advantage of that. We've looked pretty like that a few times this season and not been able to do anything with it, but yesterday we mixed that up with grit and determination (like we did against Chelsea) and the mixture got the job done. I think we played a lot better against Arsenal (who I think are a much better side than Manure) but lets not take anything away from the performance yesterday because we were well worth the 3 points, so lets revel in it.

Howard - Possibly could have done better when Rooney rounded him but he had a good game, while not having much to do.

Neville - Another poor game IMO, but he stopped Rooney scoring when he had an open goal so it wasn't all bad.

Heitinga - What a rock he was back there, he stalked Rooney from start to finish which is probably why Rooney looked so poor on the ball; pressure.

Distin - Fluffed the ball a couple of times but he was generally solid.

Baines - The same thing as usual with Baines - absolutely brilliant going forward and providing support for the winger, but he was out of position all the time defensively and a better player than Valencia would have taken him to the cleaners.

Bily - What a cracking goal that was, his left foot is a thing of beauty! That was about his only contribution, and I heard someone say he'd been asking to come off BEFORE half-time :blink:.

Osman - Absolutely immense was little Ossie, he should take a bow. I've always been critical of his lack of strength but recently he's putting himself about excellently. Everything went through him yesterday; he was the heart of the team. My MOTM.

Arteta - Neat and tidy but I don't remember him doing much tbh, he was just playing it safe, which is understandable.

Donovan - He really is a big game player judging by yesterday. He gave Neville a torrid time by just running at him at every opportunity. I would love to see him stay here, either by extending the loan or getting him permanently, his pace and positive play has been a breath of fresh air.

Pienaar - When he stayed quite far up top to support Saha I didn't think he was that effective but once he started flitting around all over the pitch he so influential to our lovely play, Manure didn't seem to be able to pick him up.

Saha - He didn't score but he led the line brilliantly for us IMO. Without Cahill up there to bustle the defence we needed Saha to do it all himself and I thought he did that.

Gosling - I don't rate him and I wasn't sure he should have come on because of his lack of pace, but Moyes got it right and his movement in the box for his goal was lovely.

Rodwell - More than made up for his mistake mid-week with that beauty of a goal. His change of pace to make a mug of Evans was brilliant, and then he stayed cool and produced a perfect finish.

Great Performance Yesterday, our midfield has been awsome lately, whoever we have put in there. Peanuts again showing what a quality player he is (gotta get his Contract sorted), Donovan worked his arse off and showed what he can do on the ball (imo didnt do enough of that against Sporting, just passed at any chance he could), Arteta showed he was getting to were he used too be, obviously going to take some time. Billy again showing when he has been asked too play he put in a great performance, Did well too come in in such a Big game and adjust very well, think the time on the bench has done him some good and can hopefully keep up the Form he showed Yesterday and against Chelsea, Great too see we have a Decent bench for once aswell! i actually knew the whole bench this game!....was quite proud tbh :P . Saha, again..honestly couldnt get enough credit for what he does, he has EVERYTHING you could want a striker to have.. Pace, Positional awareness, Good in the Air, Strong... Am i missing one? He lan the line so well Yesterday, he even was back in our own half making a few superb challenges.

Defensivly i think we were starting too look like the days of Jags and Lescott, Very tight and hard to break down. Thought Johnny again was Superb and Distin again played very well (Going to miss him in Europe) And Again Baines was Superb, great on the over lap and great defensivly.

Only Downers IMO were that Neville kept blindly knocking the ball Forward (as per usual) i honestly thought somebody with his experience would be more used to 'Playing it Simple' and keeping the ball? :blink:

Also thought the Ref had a Poor Game, Not 100% sure that either Appeals were Penaltys, but he also gave out his fair share of Bookings (all to our players it seemed). Arteta's booking was VERY soft too say the least, yes he had a niggle twice but a booking, for his first real foul of the game...VERY soft. And then Not 5 minutes later, Valencia makes a challenge on Osman right before he goes off, gets absolutly nothing but a word in the ear.

Apart from that he was Great.

Also, Gotta give great Credit to Moyes, great 2 substitutions In Gosling and Rodwell, both getting Goals! :D Thought Rodwell getting MOTM was a bit of a Joke though? :mellow:

Edited by GoodisonRoad

why are people bashing neville? i thought he played well and helped out more than normal going forward when we went down the right and was solid at the back...maybe im watching different matches or i just have low standards i dont know..as for the handball for brown that was a penalty he made no attempt to get his arm out the way and it stopped a player getting to the ball how is that not a penalty?? as for the push i have seen them given but it would have been soft and i would have been fuming if we got one like that given against us!

on another note fergie blaming it on tiredness this morning but didnt we play midweek on the same day??

on another note fergie blaming it on tiredness this morning but didnt we play midweek on the same day??

I've thought the same thing....it's it virtually all the reports as a reason for them being "jaded". OK they had travelling time involved but it's hardly arduous getting transfered in a luxury coach and having a two hour first class flight home. They'd have been home in bed probably only about five hours after our lads. Not to mention the fact that they were playing against a team of pensioners anyway :P .

why are people bashing neville? i thought he played well and helped out more than normal going forward when we went down the right and was solid at the back...maybe im watching different matches or i just have low standards i dont know..as for the handball for brown that was a penalty he made no attempt to get his arm out the way and it stopped a player getting to the ball how is that not a penalty?? as for the push i have seen them given but it would have been soft and i would have been fuming if we got one like that given against us!

Im not "Bashing" Him, i just thought he didnt really offer much going forward to be honest, He didnt do any crossing of what i can rememeber and always looked to either lay it to Donovan or do one of his famous Blind punts up field. Dont get me wrong i think he is a decent player, take the Punts out of his game and he is a great asset to any team, take him out of our side and it would be obvious we would miss him (more because of his Leadership qualitys) he is still a big part of our club, on and off the pitch.

I wasnt "Bashing" Him, just "Bashing" that part of his game, that really does get on my proverbial tits :)

Im with you though about the BS Fergie gave about the Midweek Game <_< we were in exactly the same situation.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Totally agree with you I thought he had a decent game but I suppose they to moan about something!

I never said he Had a bad game! :blink: Im sure i speak for alot more than myself when i say that without his Blind knocking the ball forward he would be a better player? Thats what i said!

You dont have to explain yourself mate.

Its your opinion and people should accept it, in the same way as you accept theirs. ;)

Rodwell - More than made up for his mistake mid-week with that beauty of a goal. His change of pace to make a mug of Evans was brilliant, and then he stayed cool and produced a perfect finish.

not sure about that Mark, if we lose 1-0 at Sporting i wont care that he put the icing on the cake agains Utd, that game was won. Sporting have an away goal because of his cockup. if he scores against Sporting, then he will be forgiven...

agree with the rest though, as usual!

I've thought the same thing....it's it virtually all the reports as a reason for them being "jaded". OK they had travelling time involved but it's hardly arduous getting transfered in a luxury coach and having a two hour first class flight home. They'd have been home in bed probably only about five hours after our lads. Not to mention the fact that they were playing against a team of pensioners anyway :P .

almost the exact words i said to me old man this mornin when he rang me and told me about it! he gives us credit before the game then blames fatigue and not a good performance from us after...

Im not "Bashing" Him, i just thought he didnt really offer much going forward to be honest, He didnt do any crossing of what i can rememeber and always looked to either lay it to Donovan or do one of his famous Blind punts up field. Dont get me wrong i think he is a decent player, take the Punts out of his game and he is a great asset to any team, take him out of our side and it would be obvious we would miss him (more because of his Leadership qualitys) he is still a big part of our club, on and off the pitch.

I wasnt "Bashing" Him, just "Bashing" that part of his game, that really does get on my proverbial tits :)

Im with you though about the BS Fergie gave about the Midweek Game <_< we were in exactly the same situation.

wasnt so much aimed at you it was the comment from romey about the poor game...i thought he played well and i've just noticed lately a few people havin a pop at him but i think we have looked better and more organised since he came back! all about opinions though eh if we all thought the same forums would be shit :D

Well Ferguson is going a bit senile. I mean, in a recent interview before that game he said the Manure fans love Rooney because he's one of their own and came through at United...

Oh, and Marco, IMO he did have a poor game - positionally suspect and hoofed aimlessly, inviting pressure, didn't do much going forward either.

I thought we looked v dangerous with Pienaar in the middle of the park....Id like to see it continue.... I carnt see Cahill getting back in that team for a while..... well untill Donavan leaves anyway....

I thought the link up play was fantastic he offers alot more in the way of options for our midfield....

Also surprisingly Osman and Arteta were superb..... I didnt expect a performance like that from Osman, he was class yesterday...

I hope Moyes sticks with a similar team and an attackin mentality right through to the end of the season... all we need now is Jags back.

I thought we looked v dangerous with Pienaar in the middle of the park....Id like to see it continue.... I carnt see Cahill getting back in that team for a while..... well untill Donavan leaves anyway....

I thought the link up play was fantastic he offers alot more in the way of options for our midfield....

Also surprisingly Osman and Arteta were superb..... I didnt expect a performance like that from Osman, he was class yesterday...

I hope Moyes sticks with a similar team and an attackin mentality right through to the end of the season... all we need now is Jags back.

He will walk straight back in as soon as he is fit, probably at the expense of Bily

I felt that late in the first half there was a period where we had a great spell of possession... no hoofing, just beautiful short passing and holding the ball - BUT we didn't seem to know what to do with it. I think we're more used to playing counter-attack, chasing or coming from behind. Utd disappeared for a spell then, and when we had the ball no one wanted to shoot.

I thought as Saha started to get tired playing up front DM should have brought in the Yak. Sure he wouldn't run around as much, but you would expect him to try make the keeper work, and was surprised to see Bily come off instead early on.

It was a great thing to see us pushing for the whole 90 mins. Good to see Mikel getting sharper as he gets more matches under his belt.

I don't know about Pienaar in the middle - I don't think he has the strength as he gets knocked around a lot. He's better out wide on the wing. Was surprised at the starting formation, but then I noticed that he, Bily and Donavan were swapping around a bit. Great bit of tactics from Moyes there I think.

I felt that late in the first half there was a period where we had a great spell of possession... no hoofing, just beautiful short passing and holding the ball - BUT we didn't seem to know what to do with it. I think we're more used to playing counter-attack, chasing or coming from behind. Utd disappeared for a spell then, and when we had the ball no one wanted to shoot.

I thought as Saha started to get tired playing up front DM should have brought in the Yak. Sure he wouldn't run around as much, but you would expect him to try make the keeper work, and was surprised to see Bily come off instead early on.

It was a great thing to see us pushing for the whole 90 mins. Good to see Mikel getting sharper as he gets more matches under his belt.

I don't know about Pienaar in the middle - I don't think he has the strength as he gets knocked around a lot. He's better out wide on the wing. Was surprised at the starting formation, but then I noticed that he, Bily and Donavan were swapping around a bit. Great bit of tactics from Moyes there I think.

I noticed that and it worked really well always confusing the Manu fullbacks.

as a united fan would just like to say well done on saturdays result against united-totally deserved. obviously been a die hard united fan i wanted us to win and put pressure on chelsea but sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say the better team won which was the case today. thought saha lead the line very well today to name just one of many everton players who were on top of the game today. if ye can maintain that level of performance in the future im sure ye can challenge for a top four place and maybe more. anyhow as i said best team won on the day and no complaints from this side. only consolation it wasnt against THAT self piting club across stanley park!!

as a united fan would just like to say well done on saturdays result against united-totally deserved. obviously been a die hard united fan i wanted us to win and put pressure on chelsea but sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say the better team won which was the case today. thought saha lead the line very well today to name just one of many everton players who were on top of the game today. if ye can maintain that level of performance in the future im sure ye can challenge for a top four place and maybe more. anyhow as i said best team won on the day and no complaints from this side. only consolation it wasnt against THAT self piting club across stanley park!!

Appreciated :) . Nice that Phelan said the best team won, as Ray Wilkins did after the Chelsea game....and indeed Wenger said we deserved the win at the Emirates even though we didn't get it.

Just can't imagine Benitez ever being so magnanimous in defeat. Sad.

Cheers for that, it's always nice when fans of the opposition are so honest and gracious in defeat.