IGNORED

Peter Crouch

Wages would be the issue for me. He's used to large wage packets now and I wouldn't be interested in paying those figures to him. He'd do a job for us but I don't think it's a logical move at all. Plus he costs money and we have been told countless times that we have none so it's a non starter at the moment

I'd take him in a heartbeat. You can play all the pretty football you like with all the deep lying forwards and false 9's that you can find but unless you've got someone who can regularly score goals then you're not going to progress. Crouch has a proven goalscoring record and offers us a completely different option. I think Wolfsburg was a reminder of how we struggle to score goals if we're not dominating. Crouch can score from nothing as well as providing us an outlet ball when teams play a high pressure defence, because sometimes you just can't pass it around teams. The only team in the world that can be sure they're able to pass it on the floor all the time is Barcelona.

It wouldn't be a return to the 'hoof it up to Ferguson' days because we've got a midfield full of players who love ball to feet and who love being involved in the play. Pienaar and Arteta scream for the ball constantly and they wouldn't stop that. Likewise Coleman and Baines wouldn't suddenly stop being such naturally attacking full-backs.

And EDIT: We'd be unstoppable from corners too :lol: Fellaini, Cahill, Crouch....

Edited by Grarghsies

Don't think he's crap in the air really. His heading ability is not as good as you'd expect but he can still knock it down and hold it up like you would want him too.

Well I think he's shocking in the air; I actually find myself laughing at his heading ability most of the time.

Having Crouch upfront is like a red rag to a bull to Distin, no thanks.

You can't have watched him very much then. Think Yobo and you're on the right track.

I agree about Jags though, he'd do the same thing.

I watch every Everton game mate, you know that :P

Distin's distribution is directly proportional to our form. If we're playing well he passes it short, if we're playing shite he passes it long. Unfortunately we have nobody for them to aim at when we do need to hoof. Saha is seemingly incapable of being a target man for more than 15 minutes of every match before he gets bored and drops into midfield.

I watch every Everton game mate, you know that :P

Unfortunately we have nobody for them to aim at when we do need to hoof. Saha is seemingly incapable of being a target man for more than 15 minutes of every match before he gets bored and drops into midfield.

Even with Crouch we still have no one to aim for. He is no good in the air so he won't win the flick ons. He's great on the floor, but our centre-backs, who I'm sorry to say are thick as pig shit (apart from Heitinga), will just see a beanpole and hoof it.

Well I think he's shocking in the air; I actually find myself laughing at his heading ability most of the time.

Having Crouch upfront is like a red rag to a bull to Distin, no thanks.

Spot on Imo... Id much rather stick Vic upfront with his strength and aeriel ability than pay Crouch shit loads to sit on the bench and do a similar thing for 20mins towards the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Crouchy is a pretty decent player, and is someone who will score goals for whatever team he's in (mainly due to his sheer height).

I just wouldn't like to see him in exchange for Peinaar, and more so, if it meant we were just going to be hoofing balls forward looking for flick ons and knock downs.

I'd prefer a (slightly) shorter striker with a bit of strength and pace, someone like an on-form Yakuba. (But that seems about as likely as Hodgson phoning Moyesy and saying "I've got this Spanish kid here, he's really good, will score goals, but I thought you could use him more than us, so, 'ere ya go, have him").

Edited by wallwriter

• 11 months later...

Deserves more credit than stick.

I think the strikers we have will be ok though. For me, the service to our front men, and the positional play of the team as a whole is the problem.

If Moyes can get the midfield balanced the goals will come. Playing with only one striker will always mean the goals come from different sources.