IGNORED

If You Had A Windfall

Say if you won the € lotto or sold your company or something and had £200m how much would you invest in Everton FC?

Sweet, sweet fuck all.

I'd have to be well into the billions for me to start throwing away my family's inheritance into the black hole that is football!

Sweet, sweet fuck all.

I'd have to be well into the billions for me to start throwing away my family's inheritance into the black hole that is football!

With Ian on this, ive often thought about it but honestly ive got better plans. Like a charity gig with all my favourite bands playing over 2 nights, at least that may raise money for those in need whilst i get my dream gig.

Unless youve got an oilwell in your backyard or the latest electric gizmo to be released, youre not going to have the money to invest in football to the extent that is needed.

i'm with mike...50m is more than anyone would ever need for generations of a family let alone just yourself and then your kids..150m would clear debts etc for the club and get a few players in..wouldn't need a return on it cos of the rest of the money you had..the interest alone would be a few bob

I can think of far better uses for the £200m! Think of all the charitable causes you could spend the interest on.

Sure I love football, but it's just a game and I've always felt that if I've was ever lucky enough to win or earn that much money then I'd have a responsibility to help those who weren't so lucky.

Frankly I think football would pale in comparison to the good you could do with the money.

i'd spend the money on what i wanted and what i would want is to help everton more than charities..i do stuff for charity as it is now cos i can afford my time too and that but if i could help something bigger that i loved like everton financially i would...hell if i won summat like 15m i'd probs give 10 to everton to buy a new player!

Edited by marcopaulo

Pretty good question, and one I'm sure most of us have thought about.

I have to admit that a few years back I would probably have given a sizeable chunck to Everton FC.Now a little older and either wiser or more cynical, I ask myself do I want to make the players even richer, so they can buy an extra house or another car, do I want Everton to BUY a trophy!......to perhaps assist with funding a new stadium that can seat 60,000, that when we hit hard times will only be half full....NO, the answer is NO!

I love Everton, and a windfall would ensure I would see(I hope)every match, but I'd rather safeguard my families futures and give some money to people who deserve it far more than footballers and their poxy agents.

As I've said I love Everton and the game of football, even though it probably helped ruin my knees :( , but money is playing a big part in ruining football.

If Everton FC stay a poor club, dosen't bother me, I'm here for the long run, good or bad.

Soon many of the prem teams will be rich clubs, only a couple will win things and actually make money, plenty will go bust.

You could give the club all of your windfall.........they may end up pissing it up the wall.............it is only a game...........but then it is your money! Do what makes you happy I say.

I wouldnt give my money away, but id have a good think about investing in Everton some way. In sweden there are investment companies croping up that specialize in buying football players. Lending them out to the teams. Selling them on for a profit.

The practice of an individual buying a player and leasing to another club is now outlawed in England. Hence why we had so much trouble with the Fernandes transfer.

Not that you'll actually be doing this but thought i'd just point it out!

Certainly I wouldn't give it away to a Charity before being ensured of transparency... the money would vapourize in Administration costs and the like before it actually got to do some good.

For EFC? that'd depend on being able to see what goes on behind the financial doors... Others are right $200m is not enough, you'd quickly become accustomed to a different lifestyle, whilst hopefully trying not to turn into a giant cock, especially to all your lifelong mates... I'd try and keep it a secret! ;)

If I came into a size-able chunk of money I would definitely invest in Everton, but I would want a say on what it is spent on!

I would try and spend the money in ways that would make the club more profitable in the long run, such as the new stadium but I would want to have the final say on designs, locations, stand names etc. Id also get EFC to use the construction company I had recently acquired to build it! :D

If Blue Bill came to me and said "can we have £x mil to spend on a player", I don't think I would because as someone said, footy players are paid enough and the sums are ridiculous. Therefore im not sure it would be worth it, especially if the player couldn't give a fuck about the club!

Id just like to try and help the club, survive on its own rather than just prop it up for one season while I blow the rest on booze and hookers :o

While football is full of clubs like Manchester city who devalue everything good about football, treating loyal overpaid players disgracefully, while paying weekly wages in excess of 200k to disloyal mercenaries, what is the point? The game has gone grotesque, if wage caps were brought in and revenue and expenditure were at a business ethical ratio then yes. I would happily invest.

I think the Charitable Uses Act of 1601 classifies schools of learning as a fitting charitable institution, so I think a ‘school of science’ satisfies that. Equally, giving money to philanthropic medical and social charities doesn’t guarantee all your money will go to front line services. Administration take a cut of every pie. If my wife and kids can blow three quarters of my income away on things I or they don’t need, I don’t say why I can’t join in. So 150 million, why not?

just been reading the invester update on the OS and it got me thinking

All i'd want is enough to give me 50k a year income so i knew i could live comfortably for the rest of my days and a few million to buy a house cars bikes and to set up my family and friends in various ways. That would be my minimum i think , doesnt mean i'd give 195 mill away i like the idea of 150mill as i'd like the rest as a safeguard and with the interest you could support charitys business ventures or just live the high life forever.

I was just thinking that it would be great to go to the board with upto a 150mill and say how can this best be used to fund a new stadium or ideally keep us at our proper home. how much money would they then need to find so we could properly rennovate and modernise goodison? .

failing that i think i'd pay of all the clubs debt and setup a account that the interest alone would provide 10-15mill a year for transfers as has been suggested earlier.

I would by an Executive box for the ToffeeTalkers I think, and LEND the club enough money to buy a few players, but that is about it.

I think I would also pay for a hit squad to bump off Stevie G and leave him buried with his bare arse in the air in the middle of the Anfield centre circle.

In this (unfortunately!) hypothetical situation, I would look to invest an impressive amount into our youth and scouting system. I'd look for the club to hire the very best youth coaches and the very best scouts that are around the world. And I would set up some kind of fund that keeps investing in the youth system for years to come.

I would spend the bulk of it on high class hookers, alchohol and fast cars, might even send a crate of top notch champagne to Gillet & Hicks for a job well done, then probably just waste whats left over!

Befitting from the man that goes by the name of Duncan McKenzie is Magic! I say that as I sit here in my Duncan Mc t-shirt!