IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

"Premier League to amend summer transfer window, starting 2018/19. Window to now close 1700 on Thursday before start of season."

Going to be interesting how it will work considering sales can still happen until the end of August, and no other league is adapting it 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because of an NFL affiliation, right?

edit: now the link opens :lol:

yeah.  just the concept is wild.  so it lives underground, it's gonna need to be watered and maintained in some underground bunker which isn't a good place for grass.  also the whole concept "rolls out on rails and connects seamlessly, no one can tell" i guarantee you it will get stuck, or won't connect or something.  just the nature of those things.  if it can happen, it will.  also you know some player is going to complain they can feel the groove of where it connects.  just seems like a lot of work for nfl games, but Levy does love that money.

i really hope our new pitch doesn't plan to be like this.  seems like they are sacrificing quality for money (ie nfl money).

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah.  just the concept is wild.  so it lives underground, it's gonna need to be watered and maintained in some underground bunker which isn't a good place for grass.  also the whole concept "rolls out on rails and connects seamlessly, no one can tell" i guarantee you it will get stuck, or won't connect or something.  just the nature of those things.  if it can happen, it will.  also you know some player is going to complain they can feel the groove of where it connects.  just seems like a lot of work for nfl games, but Levy does love that money.

i really hope our new pitch doesn't plan to be like this.  seems like they are sacrificing quality for money (ie nfl money).

I don't see why it would, there'll be no chance of an NFL affiliation with us, so need for it. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't see why they should. If they've got any sense they'll do nothing of the sort and have an advantage over our leagues. 

Because the majority of their sides want it as well.  The only ones that voted against were City and united.  The bigs want the long drawn out window.  The mid table and lower sides all want it in Europe just like here.  That's what if put to a vote I think it will pass in most leagues.

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Because the majority of their sides want it as well.  The only ones that voted against were City and united.  The bigs want the long drawn out window.  The mid table and lower sides all want it in Europe just like here.  That's what if put to a vote I think it will pass in most leagues.

Four teams voted against it actually. Swansea being one of them, they're hardly a big club. 

Like I said, if they've got any sense they won't change their windows to follow ours. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them think it's arrogance on our part to expect the rest of Europe to fall into line just because we've done something.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Four teams voted against it actually. Swansea being one of them, they're hardly a big club. 

Like I said, if they've got any sense they won't change their windows to follow ours. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them think it's arrogance on our part to expect the rest of Europe to fall into line just because we've done something.

Sounds familiar ;)

23 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

16 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Swansea Palace United and City with Burnley abstaining their vote, odd mix tbh especially after the fuss Burnley and Swansea have made in recent times over its format 

my apologies the article i read said only City and United.  Very strange indeed.

Ok did some digging and here is what i find

Germany - In favor of closing the window like the PL

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/705669/artikel_bundesliga-tenor-zum-transferende_kuerzer-waere-besser.html

France - Ligue recommends to do the same as PL, will be voted on by end of year

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/La-lfp-favorable-sur-le-principe-a-avancer-la-fin-du-mercato-estival/832370

Italy - Inter says all leagues should align with this rule

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/sport/calcio/2017/09/07/inter-ausiliochiudere-prima-il-mercato_cca6654b-83f5-4c3b-83a6-8ec788c5b155.html

Spain - No thanks

La Liga chief Javier Tebas said earlier this week that he was not in favour of change, telling the Soccerex Global Convention: "I don't believe it will necessarily be beneficial to the clubs to close the transfer window sooner."

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

It was more shocking and terrible that he was hired in the first place. They made the wrong decision and are rectifying it quickly, so I applaud them for sacking him. 

If that's the case- whoever hired him wants fucking - 4games in is just ridiculousimo- give him until Chistmas at least. I thought they played well yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Paddock said:

If that's the case- whoever hired him wants fucking - 4games in is just ridiculousimo- give him until Chistmas at least. I thought they played well yesterday.

Yes they do, but now they're fixing it. Giving him until Christmas would've killed them. When you know, you know. There's no point dragging it to have it confirmed week after week. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He moved away from his formation to one the players prefer, and their performance improved with the reports saying they were unlucky not to win. Deserved a few more games. 

According to the match report,  Palace missed a few open goals. One, a clear header, under no pressure and from a couple of yards out, was headed wide!

I watched the full game- Palace battered them and deserved to win- they had 24 shots to Burnleys 4- Dann missed a header at the end from 3 yards when it was harder to head wide than score, Benteke missed a 1 on 1 . They played really well yesterday.

unless somethings gone on behind the scenes they are wat OTT to sack him after 4 gaes imo.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

I watched the full game- Palace battered them and deserved to win- they had 24 shots to Burnleys 4- Dann missed a header at the end from 3 yards when it was harder to head wide than score, Benteke missed a 1 on 1 . They played really well yesterday.

unless somethings gone on behind the scenes they are wat OTT to sack him after 4 gaes imo.

And if you got points for missing chances like in that game, or in the other three that they've lost without scoring, then I'm sure he'd still have a job. 

Just now, Bill said:

Wish our club had the balls to "fix it".:D

Fortunately our manager has shown that he can do the business. De Boer has only shown that he's terrible.

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And if you got points for missing chances like in that game, or in the other three that they've lost without scoring, then I'm sure he'd still have a job. 

Fortunately our manager has shown that he can do the business. De Boer has only shown that he's terrible.

Point I was making is it's not like they were getting drubbed- another day and they score 3 and he keeps his job. I'm not saying for a minute he's a good manager, I just think they have been hasty sacking him.

2 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Point I was making is it's not like they were getting drubbed- another day and they score 3 and he keeps his job. I'm not saying for a minute he's a good manager, I just think they have been hasty sacking him.

They haven't just sacked him because of yesterday though. Clearly they haven't performed well in the other games, enough that alarm bells have wrung.