IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

They haven't just sacked him because of yesterday though. Clearly they haven't performed well in the other games, enough that alarm bells have wrung. 

Ay. I know that, somethings clearly not right but the state of football these days - when a manager gets sacked after 4 games you know it's fucked big time.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It was more shocking and terrible that he was hired in the first place. They made the wrong decision and are rectifying it quickly, so I applaud them for sacking him. 

crappy for him, but the fans will feel a lot better/

48 minutes ago, Bill said:

Wish our club had the balls to "fix it".:D

Our club wouldn't have the nerve to order beef n a steak house

39 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And if you got points for missing chances like in that game, or in the other three that they've lost without scoring, then I'm sure he'd still have a job. 

Fortunately our manager has shown that he can do the business. De Boer has only shown that he's terrible.

hate to disagree Romey, but when was this?

19 minutes ago, rubecula said:

crappy for him, but the fans will feel a lot better/

hate to disagree Romey, but when was this?

I'm sure the compensation he'll receive is dead crappy. I'm crying on the inside for him. 

When we finished 7th and qualified for Europe. And he did the same with Southampton. I know you're old and may have forgotten, so I'll not hold it against you ;) .

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm sure the compensation he'll receive is dead crappy. I'm crying on the inside for him. 

When we finished 7th and qualified for Europe. And he did the same with Southampton. I know you're old and may have forgotten, so I'll not hold it against you ;) .

:shakingfist:

last season he got us to 7th,  where did we finish under Roberto?  Sorry Romey unless we win every game from now until the end of May I must say  give him all the support you can  because he will need it.  (and god help us.)

1 minute ago, rubecula said:

:shakingfist:

last season he got us to 7th,  where did we finish under Roberto?  Sorry Romey unless we win every game from now until the end of May I must say  give him all the support you can  because he will need it.  (and god help us.)

Roberto was sacked because he wasn't good enough, but he was given leeway after a good first season. Two 11th placed finishes put paid to him. Koeman got us to 7th so will get leeway, but he sure as shit won't get two years of it like Martinez did, and if he shows he's not good enough then he'll be on his bike too. 

You said god help us last season too and we did pretty well. I'll take that again. 

• to be honest I really do want him to succeed,  what kind of supporter would I be if I felt otherwise, however, I do not trust him one iota.  the football league finishing positions I predicted a 12th place finish  and the way we are playing now I may have been a bit optimistic.  

if I am wrong by a fair distance  I will live with it  unless it is worse..... in that case  I will  wax polish the cat and debone the dog.

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 12:24, Paddock said:

I watched the full game- Palace battered them and deserved to win- they had 24 shots to Burnleys 4- Dann missed a header at the end from 3 yards when it was harder to head wide than score, Benteke missed a 1 on 1 . They played really well yesterday.

unless somethings gone on behind the scenes they are wat OTT to sack him after 4 gaes imo.

I actually watched them and was worried they would give us a real game.

They deserved to win the game by at least 2 or 3 goals, so there isn't much else the manager could have done. 

i hope this article brings about some good debate:  http://www.espnfc.us/tottenham-hotspur/story/3207522/tottenham-too-big-to-focus-on-domestic-cups-mauricio-pochettino

In essence: Potch says Spurs too big a club to worry about domestic Cup competitions.  He says he will make wholesale changes and play youngsters.  

At the level Spurs are playing and have been finishing i would agree with him.  They should be going for the League Title and CL Title first and foremost (like he states in the article).  While saying that, I think it would be great for us at Everton to try and win one of them if the bigs don't take it seriously since it would be more likely we could.  Trophy and Europa would do a lot of good for us confidence wise and help to continue to build the brand back.

Another thought i had was; is this the beginning of the end of the FA and League Cup?  Will they slowly turn into "youth" tournaments to be won by mid/lower sides and eventually the Europa League places are stripped from them as well?  With the money in the PL right now, i would not be surprised to see it head that direction.

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

At lot of it is due to the time of the year. League Cup is smack bang in the middle of EL and CL group stages. If you get knocked out then there is no reason not to go full throttle for the FA Cup.

I think the FA should seriously consider ditching replays though.

And kick lower league clubs in the bollocks? I'm surprised the FA hasn't done it already for that reason alone. 

49 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And kick lower league clubs in the bollocks? I'm surprised the FA hasn't done it already for that reason alone. 

They can make it so that the higher league clubs pay the profits to the lower league clubs (or some other financial arrangement). 

When all teams are playing too many games already, it seems a straight forward way of cutting back, especially as 95% of all replays aren't wanted by either side. 

32 minutes ago, Bailey said:

They can make it so that the higher league clubs pay the profits to the lower league clubs (or some other financial arrangement). 

When all teams are playing too many games already, it seems a straight forward way of cutting back, especially as 95% of all replays aren't wanted by either side. 

So it's all about money then?

Small team gets a draw at home v a PL side, lose on pens but get financially compensated. Bollocks.

Club, players and fans would far rather get a day out at Goodison, OT, Anfield, Emirates or wherever; it'll be the best day their club will ever have whatever the result. I sat with Woking fans at Goodison many years back and it was an incredible experience (admittedly not a replay as we were drawn at home but the point is the same).

You're suggesting kicking any romance out and replacing it with a cheque; very very sad day when/if that happens.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

At lot of it is due to the time of the year. League Cup is smack bang in the middle of EL and CL group stages. If you get knocked out then there is no reason not to go full throttle for the FA Cup.

I think the FA should seriously consider ditching replays though.

Good points Bailey.  Also it makes me wonder if they could ditch the league cup and just have the 1 cup like most European leagues do (Germany, Spain, Italy).  

I don't get this playing too many games stuff- years ago you had one sub more league games and I remember us and Boro having 4 replays back in the day. Granted the CL and EL are now groups but it's 6 games then the knock outs so altogether it's 15 games if you started in the old European Cup it wasn't far off that antway.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The idea of boxing is great till you get punched in the head .... only then so you realise what it's all about 

Annoys me all these fellas who think they can just pick it up.  Nonsense.  Requires more than just a good physique and athletic ability. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

The idea of boxing is great till you get punched in the head .... only then so you realise what it's all about 

Annoys me all these fellas who think they can just pick it up.  Nonsense.  Requires more than just a good physique and athletic ability. 

I have a feeling that a lot of people will be lining up to knock his head off.

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

So it's all about money then?

Small team gets a draw at home v a PL side, lose on pens but get financially compensated. Bollocks.

Club, players and fans would far rather get a day out at Goodison, OT, Anfield, Emirates or wherever; it'll be the best day their club will ever have whatever the result. I sat with Woking fans at Goodison many years back and it was an incredible experience (admittedly not a replay as we were drawn at home but the point is the same).

You're suggesting kicking any romance out and replacing it with a cheque; very very sad day when/if that happens.

I don't really see the romance of the FA Cup, so maybe that is where I differ. I don't really enjoy watching those type of games. 

How many of those games actually get to a replay though? Maybe one or two a year. Most are similarly tiered sides who probably aren't even that bothered with the competition at that stage. We can count them this season ;)

I do understand your point of view and can see why people would be disappointed but I for one wouldn't be.

On 18/09/2017 at 17:22, markjazzbassist said:

In essence: Potch says Spurs too big a club to worry about domestic Cup competitions.  He says he will make wholesale changes and play youngsters.

And yet he's started Vertonghen, Trippier, Dembélé, Son, Alli, Sissoko and Llorente plus has Alderweireld, Kane, Dier and Eriksen on the bench:huh:.

26 minutes ago, MikeO said:

And yet he's started Vertonghen, Trippier, Dembélé, Son, Alli, Sissoko and Llorente plus has Alderweireld, Kane, Dier and Eriksen on the bench:huh:.

To be fair only Alli, Vertonghen and maybe Dembele are likely starters at the weekend (bench aside) and Son is coming back to fitness and Alli is banned from Europe. Dembele didn't start against us and Trippier looks to have lost his place to Aurier. Llorente won't start any other games unless Kane is injured. 

Most think Spurs have a thin squad but they have more options than many think.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

To be fair only Alli, Vertonghen and maybe Dembele are likely starters at the weekend (bench aside) and Son is coming back to fitness and Alli is banned from Europe. Dembele didn't start against us and Trippier looks to have lost his place to Aurier. Llorente won't start any other games unless Kane is injured. 

Most think Spurs have a thin squad but they have more options than many think.

Still, to my mind, a stronger XI/bench than his press conference suggested he'd put out; he implied that he wasn't bothered by it but he plainly is, forgetting any other selection the fact that Kane is on the bench is a clear signal he wants to progress.