IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Justice is not fair.  They got off on a technicality due to the age of the issue.  What a joke.  They obstructed the investigation as well, and get a pittance of a fine.  

I can't speak for the USA but its a fairly common principle of UK law that matters are statute barred once a deadline has been passed. It might be a technicality but its a big technical point of most jurisdictions and further more its UEFA's own ruling! 

If anything it shows UEFA couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery however it doesn't mean that its the end of FFP, just that changes will need to be made. This particular ruling didnt find that City's funding method was fine, just that the evidence against them wasn't sufficient. It would be interesting to know what would have happened had certain evidence not been time barred. 

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If anything it shows UEFA couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery however it doesn't mean that its the end of FFP, just that changes will need to be made. This particular ruling didnt find that City's funding method was fine, just that the evidence against them wasn't sufficient. It would be interesting to know what would have happened had certain evidence not been time barred. 

your point here is what i was mad at, UEFA played both sides brilliantly trying to look like the little clubs hero but knowing all along their case was bunk.  what a joke.  

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

FFP is a load of shite. It allows the likes of United to be saddled with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt but a club like City that can afford to spend the money without going into debt are punished. It stinks and is totally designed to stop clubs pushing the established elite off their perches. 

agreed.  if they really wanted to make it fair just implement a salary cap like american sports have.  then the bargain buys are just as important as the big buys.  i don't think they ever will, but if they wanted fairness that's how you do it.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

FFP is a load of shite. It allows the likes of United to be saddled with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt but a club like City that can afford to spend the money without going into debt are punished. It stinks and is totally designed to stop clubs pushing the established elite off their perches. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

your point here is what i was mad at, UEFA played both sides brilliantly trying to look like the little clubs hero but knowing all along their case was bunk.  what a joke.  

Absolutely agree with you both. Neville has an article on the SSN app saying a very similar thing.

The reason UEFA will keep trying with FFP is because it will attempt to maintain the elite. 

We were called the Mersey millionaires under Moores.... not sure we were part of any movement to stop rich owners buying and investing in other clubs.

Millionaires and of recent - billionaires have injected so much capital into the game that the English premier league is the most watched on the planet.  The tv rights don't come without elite level talent - the elite level talent doesn't come without money.

All very well United, Chelsea and Liverpool wanting to shut the doors.... we didn't grumble when we were getting £5m transfer kitties under kenwright whilst rich owners bought our best players.... we were pissed off but accepted that it would be this way till we got investment.

Now we have a rich bloke waiting in the wings, sponsoring allsorts in Order to sneak the money in......  ffs- our club has a community conscience just like man city do.   They deserve all they are getting after freefalling to the 3rd division and getting near 30k  fans turning up to watch. 

Klopp saying it's a dark day for football that Man Cities ban got overturned..... he needs to read up on what happened in Brussels in 1985 the balloon. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I can imagine they will start well but I'm not sure that squad will cope with the demands of Bielsa and the league over 38 games. 

they have coped with Bielsa and the league over 46 games (championship plays more games) for a few years now, i think they will be fine.  that's not the issue for me.  the issue for me is quality.  bamford is a joke at striker, he misses so many open goals, i've watched a few of their matches and he is awful.  they need to improve the squad.  let's see if the owner will do so with the new cash windfall.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

they have coped with Bielsa and the league over 46 games (championship plays more games) for a few years now, i think they will be fine.  that's not the issue for me.  the issue for me is quality.  bamford is a joke at striker, he misses so many open goals, i've watched a few of their matches and he is awful.  they need to improve the squad.  let's see if the owner will do so with the new cash windfall.

There is a huuuge difference in quality between the leagues. 38 games in the PL is much more tiring than 46 in the Championship 

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

6 hours ago, Matt said:

There is a huuuge difference in quality between the leagues. 38 games in the PL is much more tiring than 46 in the Championship 

I can only echo what Matt has said. Its also a lot easier to stay sharp when you are top of the league and playing well as opposed to being beaten every weekend and trying to keep that same energy when you are playing every 3 days over the winter. 

Its already been a thing with Bielsa that his teams tire at the end of the season so when you factor in that they won't be able to be at anything but 100% all season it will drain them a lot more. As I have said before, they are a very average team (individually) and they have played well in their odd appearances against PL teams in the cups but week after week at that level is a different story.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Saudis have pulled out of the Newcastle takeover.  nice to see they will be battling relegation again next year.  never liked the toon.

😡
My home toon what have they done wrong, still honest supporters, just a greedy owner. 

On 05/08/2020 at 18:07, markjazzbassist said:

Looks like Ozil was right not to take a wage cut because he wanted to know where that saved money was going.

Now it's clear it was just going into the clubs coffers.