IGNORED

Baines

I thought it was interesting comparing the number of chances created and the number of assists stats: Baines has created signicantly more chances but still has the same amount of assists as Evra...

Says a lot about our strikers last season :(.

It would be more interesting to see the clear cut chances created rather than just chances created and assists. Baines puts a lot more crosses into the box than Evra, so lots of those chances created might not really be that much of a chance. Any cross one of our strikers got his head too will count as a chance, even the ones you can't rally expect them to score from.

I think this is an interesting article (as well as the stuff he links too) that sort of illustrates my point in the quote above: http://mixedknuts.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/things-we-think-we-know-about-football-july-2013/

Baines puts in 405% more crosses than Evra does which is going to lead to a lot of "chances created" (483% more). It's simply very hard to score from those crosses from outside the box.

An excerpt from one of those articles linked to:

The average number of crosses per goal scored last season was 79 in open-play and 28.3 from a set-piece. Crossing accuracy is also higher for set-pieces (33.9%) compared with open-play (20.5%).

That's why I would really like to see Mirallas on the left and a left-footed winger on the right (someone like Ince will do for me). Have Pienaar behind the striker and Baines and Coleman bomb on like they do now to provide width and stretch the defense but instruct them to cool down on all the crosses a bit and pass it about more. Even if that does lead to longer spells that seemingly go nowhere, we need to eventually get one of those shorter passes from inside the box to set someone up to score.

I think this is an interesting article (as well as the stuff he links too) that sort of illustrates my point in the quote above: http://mixedknuts.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/things-we-think-we-know-about-football-july-2013/

Baines puts in 405% more crosses than Evra does which is going to lead to a lot of "chances created" (483% more). It's simply very hard to score from those crosses from outside the box.

An excerpt from one of those articles linked to:

That's why I would really like to see Mirallas on the left and a left-footed winger on the right (someone like Ince will do for me). Have Pienaar behind the striker and Baines and Coleman bomb on like they do now to provide width and stretch the defense but instruct them to cool down on all the crosses a bit and pass it about more. Even if that does lead to longer spells that seemingly go nowhere, we need to eventually get one of those shorter passes from inside the box to set someone up to score.

I was very disappointed with Baines' delivery in all aspects last season tbh.

I was very disappointed with Baines' delivery in all aspects last season tbh.

He still completed 30% of his crosses, that's better than the 23% rate of Evra and the 20% league average. The problem was the areas wherefrom they were created:

http://www.squawka.com/players/leighton-baines#total-chances-created#everton-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#pitch-view ==> Just 9,5% of Baines created chances stem from the box while 53,4% originate in that wide left area.

http://www.squawka.com/players/patrice-evra#total-chances-created#manchester-united-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#pitch-view

Evra creates 33,3% of his chances from inside the box (and just 33.3 from that wide left area).

It's simply quite unlikely that you're gonna score from a cross from wide areas, especially from headers, even if the delivery is good. What you need is to get into the box and pull it back into someone's feet.

EDIT: it seems like those links don't direct to the image I want to link them to. You have to click "Total Chances Created" and then "Pitch View" if you want to check for yourself.

Edited by Steve_E

Those cut backs are where one of the main things that used to make the Arsenal invincibles so good. They never crossed the ball but instead they overloaded the wide areas, got to the byline and pulled the ball back. Their attacking players were so good at finding space and timing their runs that it was almost inevitable they would score.

Probably the best place for it, has anyone seen the video of Baines in Blackburn yet?

Three lads ask him for a lift to the ground as he drives past, he lets them in and they film the ride.

Legend Leighton.

Says he doesn't know when asked if he's going to United.

Remind me never to give strangers a lift. There's always the chance they may create a video of me and post it on the Internet!

I've been wondering most of the day about why Baines didn't play today. Conspiracy theory warning: Maybe he has no injury and the higher-ups just didn't want to risk a real injury just days before they accept a large cash offer from Moyes.

Remind me never to give strangers a lift. There's always the chance they may create a video of me and post it on the Internet!

I've been wondering most of the day about why Baines didn't play today. Conspiracy theory warning: Maybe he has no injury and the higher-ups just didn't want to risk a real injury just days before they accept a large cash offer from Moyes.

It's being reported that he'll travel to the US with the rest of the squad tomorrow. Edited by Romey 1878

Guest blueboy122

Where has he picked them up from, as they don't sound like Liverpool Scousers, but more your archetypal wool with a scally accent lol.

Embarrassing really aren't they. Couldn't even speak properly or hold a proper conversation.

I thought that the lads in Baines' car seemed like nobs.

I wouldn't read too much into his comment about United either. He probably wants to remain neutral rather than blowing out a media shit-storm.

I think he is 100% gone. Moyes will give us a good price, and nothing will be mentioned until we are finished in the market to prevent our prices being increased for replacements. I think the fact that Mirallas looks like he can take a free kick and Oviedo looks exciting will serve to dampen the blow, but Baines rarely misses a penalty on the rare occasion we get one.

I think he is 100% gone. Moyes will give us a good price, and nothing will be mentioned until we are finished in the market to prevent our prices being increased for replacements. I think the fact that Mirallas looks like he can take a free kick and Oviedo looks exciting will serve to dampen the blow, but Baines rarely misses a penalty on the rare occasion we get one.

I doubt it. If he was truly set to leave, I don't think the board/Kenwright/Martinez would be so deadset and vocal about him not leaving, only to have a deal secretly agreed outside of the public. That's just bad public relations. It will be interesting to see if Man Utd come in with a second bid closer to our asking price, but until then, I think Baines will remain a blue.

I doubt it. If he was truly set to leave, I don't think the board/Kenwright/Martinez would be so deadset and vocal about him not leaving, only to have a deal secretly agreed outside of the public. That's just bad public relations. It will be interesting to see if Man Utd come in with a second bid closer to our asking price, but until then, I think Baines will remain a blue.

"Lescott is not for sale" - remember?

He is not going anywhere unless he hands in a request himself. I dont think anyone is leaving unless Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd meets Fellis release clause.

Why not? If a good enough offer comes in BK will sell him, regardless of weather or not he has handed in a transfer request (which I wouldn't think he'd ever do).

Why not? If a good enough offer comes in BK will sell him, regardless of weather or not he has handed in a transfer request (which I wouldn't think he'd ever do).

I heard some guy talking on the radio last night saying that United are unlikely to come back with anymore bids now for Baines, it will more likely be Felli as they don't look like they are going to get Cesc. Also there was some twitter talk(i didn't see it myself, i saw it mentioned by a mate on FB) this morning that Man U have approached the club about Fellaini.

Edited by Simon

That pretty much puts you in the top 10% of this boards credibility ratings ha ha. I'm somewhere in the lower 90's. :lol:

Ah, I think none of us are very credible, but that certainly doesn't stop us from voicing our array of opinions. In all honesty, I don't see Baines leaving UNLESS United ups their bid to 15-16m+ , AND Baines states that he wants to leave. I don't see us accepting 12m, and I don't think Baines will try to force a move.

I heard some guy talking on the radio last night saying that United are unlikely to come back with anymore bids now for Baines, it will more likely be Felli as they don't look like they are going to get Cesc. Also there was some twitter talk(i didn't see it myself, i saw it mentioned by a mate on FB) this morning that Man U have approached the club about Fellaini.

Although I love Fellaini I think he is slightly overrated and the club could easily progress without him. Losing Baines would have a massive physical and psycological effect on the fanbase and the team.

Ah, I think none of us are very credible, but that certainly doesn't stop us from voicing our array of opinions. In all honesty, I don't see Baines leaving UNLESS United ups their bid to 15-16m+ , AND Baines states that he wants to leave. I don't see us accepting 12m, and I don't think Baines will try to force a move.

Ask ourselves how much would it cost us to buy Baines if he were a United player, and I think you'll find the answer would be a lot more than 16 million. We couldn't replace him for that, so why sell him for that? If they want him badly enough, flash the cash, and respect the player.

Ask ourselves how much would it cost us to buy Baines if he were a United player, and I think you'll find the answer would be a lot more than 16 million. We couldn't replace him for that, so why sell him for that? If they want him badly enough, flash the cash, and respect the player.

Can't imagine he'd be worth THAT much more. Maybe 20m? 22m max. Fullbacks just don't have the same value of strikers and midfielders.