IGNORED

Scott Dann

I'd have Shawcross here he's a good solid old school center half who imposes himself on players, technically he's a far cry from Stones but you don't want or need two ball playing cb's it would be a recipe for disaster

I'd have him and Richards here or either gladly

I'd have Shawcross here he's a good solid old school center half who imposes himself on players, technically he's a far cry from Stones but you don't want or need two ball playing cb's it would be a recipe for disaster

I'd have him and Richards here or either gladly

Exactly the type of player we need. We seriously lack someone with a bit of guile, a person who fights to the bitter end, throws himself in front of everything, face, head, thigh, bolocks, anything he can get in the way of that ball to make a block he will.

We need some steel in the side.

He's a thug. Nothing more.

Not having it, Ferguson was a thug, nothing more nothing less but he was idolised because he was one of us.

Shawcross is an old school defender in the John Terry, Martin Keown, Tony Adams mold (not as good like) he is exactly what we need.

He could be captain by the season after next.

LMAO at us being able to afford a ball playing centre half.

Mediocrity with Shawcross? No, affordable, in our wage structure and MIGHT be interested in joining.

Our defence has no bite, no one who will roll their socks round their ankles and go toe to toe with the opposition. Our defence gets bullied because we're too nice, we concede loads of goals from headers because we're shit in the air nobody wants to throw their heads in the way of a nastly looking challenge nobody wants to step up.

Shawcross is EXACTLY the type of defender we need and he is not medioce he's easily good enough for our side because we are mediocre as well if that's your opinion of him.

Guess he'll have to wait in line behind al these ball playing centre halfs who are lining up to join a team that finished 11th has cirtually no transfer budget pays the 10th highest wages in the league and can offer nothing but , well.. Mediocrity to them.

:huh: So you don't think anyone like John Stones would ever consider signing for us then?

If the best we can expect is Shawcross then we may as well give up now

Not having it, Ferguson was a thug, nothing more nothing less but he was idolised because he was one of us.

Shawcross is an old school defender in the John Terry, Martin Keown, Tony Adams mold (not as good like) he is exactly what we need.

He could be captain by the season after next.

I never idolised Ferguson.

We're never going to agree here. Shawcross, like Dunc, could be brilliant but was also a complete liability.

He's also never going to leave Stoke, so it's a moot point.

:huh: So you don't think anyone like John Stones would ever consider signing for us then?

If the best we can expect is Shawcross then we may as well give up now

We need a defender to step in this season Dunc but regardless of that we don't need 2 Stones. Our defence lacks a leader and steel and bite we have a soft underbelly.

All successful teams have a player like Shawcross (not ability wise but in his mould)

Chelsea have Terry, Arsenal had Keown, united had Vidic and on it goes. In the prem you need a defender who will head but the post and knock himself unconcious for the team to save a goal if needs be, someone to grit his teeth when the backs are against the wall, someone who will boot a dirty bastard like Costa 5 foot in the air if needs be or throw an elbow in his ribs when the ref isn't looking if he atarts playing the twat.

We lack that player either in defence or midfield.

I never idolised Ferguson.

We're never going to agree here. Shawcross, like Dunc, could be brilliant but was also a complete liability.

He's also never going to leave Stoke, so it's a moot point.

I never said you idolised him but Ferguson was and still is an Everton legend yet all he brought was disrepute to the team. He was either suspended or injured.

Shawcross is a stalwart who is a decent defender.

I never said you idolised him but Ferguson was and still is an Everton legend yet all he brought was disrepute to the team. He was either suspended or injured.

Shawcross is a stalwart who is a decent defender.

Decent = ok, average, mid table. He's a good fit at Stoke.

Ferguson should never be considered a legend for his playing days, maybe for his youth work since though.

Ferguson should never be considered a legend for his playing days, maybe for his youth work since though.

To me and many Big Dunc is a legend. He's clearly nowhere near the quality of the likes of Dean, Ball, Southall, Labone, etc. but for those, like me, who went regularly in the late 90s/early 00s then no explanation is needed. He was at times the only thing to get excited about, usually the only person worth singing about. Maybe a cult figure is more apt but I get the Big Dunc, Everton legend shouts.

To me and many Big Dunc is a legend. He's clearly nowhere near the quality of the likes of Dean, Ball, Southall, Labone, etc. but for those, like me, who went regularly in the late 90s/early 00s then no explanation is needed. He was at times the only thing to get excited about, usually the only person worth singing about. Maybe a cult figure is more apt but I get the Big Dunc, Everton legend shouts.

We've been over this many times over the years. Certainly I'm warming to the guy now; Bill's online presentation and his acceptance at the awards last week was very moving. Not a legend as a player for me but he may yet be one.

I watched Dunc many times and he could make you tear your hair out at times.

But he could also be unplayable.

He was actually a very good player behind all the roughness.

Bonby Robson was no slouch in my eyes and a good judge of a player.

Dunc gave me some of my best moments.

Problem was, he had all the abilities but he usually wasn't arsed. And then he could do something really stupid that cost the team the points. His scoring record during his first stint was decent, but not that remarkable (107 games/42 goals). Second stint was quite bad (123/25), but of course he had plenty of issues.

We only need one ball playing centre half. That's Stones.

Ferdinand and Vidic. One ball player, one thug.

Terry and Carvalho. One ball player, one thug.

Every team needs a nasty fucker who is willing to defend for his life and let the forward know that's what he'll be doing for the next 90 minutes.

Two friendly centre halfs, I don't really like that. Jags isn't quite nasty enough for me, as good as he has been, no one gets worried about playing against him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...