IGNORED

Scott Dann

Good point, However I personally believe that he is nowhere near being a premier league footballer, he doesnt show any signs of promise for me. I know hundreds of semi pro footballers who would do a better job than him in the centre of our midfeild. I think Rodwell was probably one of those amazing young prospects when he was younger from the ages of 12-16 and then just stop developing and all the other players just caught up with him. I was like that myself in my playing days, I think I have previously mentioned that I played for Blackburn academy. When I was young I was shit hot at football but then I reached an age where I just stopped and then I gradually became an average player because everyone else kept improving whilst I stagnated.

out of interest did you ever try at any lower level clubs?

and as for rodwell as a cb..he can't head and he can't mark...he can barely tackle..i'd shit myself with him at centre half

Guest blueboy122

Well after blackburn I sort of just stopped playing for a season or two, I have played in the Welsh league for 2 different teams but its so hard to even get anyway near the English clubs even for trials they just arent interested to be honest. I went to Chester and trained with there reserve squad last summer but to be honest the welsh league is far superior and a better atmosphere all round, the preassure at Chester to be the best was massive due to them needing to be back in English league football.

Fully agree about Rodwell at centre half, he just doesnt possess any of the qualities needed. Every game he plays he is invisible, every game just passes him by without him having any effect on it, good or bad.

Well after blackburn I sort of just stopped playing for a season or two, I have played in the Welsh league for 2 different teams but its so hard to even get anyway near the English clubs even for trials they just arent interested to be honest. I went to Chester and trained with there reserve squad last summer but to be honest the welsh league is far superior and a better atmosphere all round, the preassure at Chester to be the best was massive due to them needing to be back in English league football.

Interesting, 2 lads i went to school with were with Liverpool through high school and they have both gone on to play for Rhyl and Wrexham. Just out of interest who did you play for in the Welsh League? My uncle goes to watch Prestatyn occasionally as well.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Fully agree about Rodwell at centre half, he just doesnt possess any of the qualities needed. Every game he plays he is invisible, every game just passes him by without him having any effect on it, good or bad.

my mate james said that...he's 20 now was in the bolton youth setup but after that he said it was so difficult to even get a chance at anywhere he just gave it up

Guest blueboy122

my mate james said that...he's 20 now was in the bolton youth setup but after that he said it was so difficult to even get a chance at anywhere he just gave it up

I think alot of it is luck and who you know unfortunately. I have seen many players let go from numerous clubs around the country and hand on heart think they could be premier league player, like when I see Rodwell play for example alls I can think is I have seen players better than you on the local park likewise for numerous others Jay Spearing another these lads are just ordinary players that got lucky at the right time. Thats my personal opinion anyway, I could name hundreds and hundreds of players in the premier league that shouldnt be anyway that league level. But to be honest I cant be arsed because it just depresses me. Your mate at Bolton would have felt the same..... Depressing.

Guest blueboy122

it still surprises me that lower level teams wouldn't take these lads on though...cos at that age they just wanna play surely?

Yes and thats exactly it, all the lads I have met and been let go just want to play. But when we go to other teams to ask for trials etc these teams arent interested as they have let go some of there academy players and believe that they have a core squad good enough without looking at anyone else from other teams. For example as I was let go from Blackburn and I wanted to have a trial at Bolton they wouldnt be interested as they have previosuly let go your mate and a few others for example as they believe they werent good enough so they pretty much have the same opinion as Blackburn that I am not good enough because if I was good enough I would still be with Blackburn.

It's about who you know.

At amatuer league i felt famous playing for my local team. I was known as the fastest wingback in the league and the highest scoring defender by far. Did i ever get looked at? i played in a midlands team that had three players join from west brom reserves and a first teamer from bristol city who like to drink a bit too much haha!

These players were noweher near the technical ability i had. My place was guaranteed every week, they had to fight to get into our amatuer team.

I never had the chance other than a trail for stoke back in 1988 which my parents didnt have the resources to take me to.

My brother in law lay on a physio bench and had Ossie Ardiles come in to check on his progress back from injury, and my brother in law talks about how good i used to be. Why? He played fopr a local youth team who were ran by a very wealthy buisnessman who just happoened to have a personal friend in the west brom set up. They used his club as a youth feeder club.

There must be thousands of real talented amatuer players who will never get looked at because they either live in the wrong area or simply dont know the right people.

Am i just bitter? damn right i am, i never shut up about it haha!

I don't know about wages in Blue square etc but in league of Wales average players are getting £150 min per game, that's what pays the mortgage, they have day jobs as well, even at that level you can make a decent living. Neath, LLanelli, T.N.S are the only full time teams, Lee Trundle getting £1200 per week although he is an exception at the top end of the pay scale with Neath. Beats having to pay £3 a game to play at local amateur level I suppose!!!shaking fist.png

• 1 year later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2390611/Scott-Dann-wanted-Fulham-Everton-race-hots-Blackburn-Rovers-defender.html

Fulham and Everton are showing interest in Blackburn Rovers defender Scott Dann.

The 26-year-old wants to leave the Championship club and Rovers are even willing to consider a loan to get his wages off the books.

Everton are weighing up options with John Heitinga attracting interest from Turkey and Antolin Alcaraz out for the start of the season with a hernia.

• 1 year later...

Aaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a very solid defender - defensively better than Smalling/Jones who are dead certs in the England squad. He like Shawcross aren't at fashionable clubs so don't get the recognition they probably deserve. Where he may lack is with his short distribution from the back but defensively (and as a goal threat at set pieces) he's spot on.

He's a very solid defender - defensively better than Smalling/Jones who are dead certs in the England squad. He like Shawcross aren't at fashionable clubs so don't get the recognition they probably deserve. Where he may lack is with his short distribution from the back but defensively (and as a goal threat at set pieces) he's spot on.

Nothing to do with the club he is at, he is not the type of player we should be looking at.

I would take Shawcross in a heart beat.

Lads a born leader and exactly the sort of player we need.

Nothing to do with the club he is at, he is not the type of player we should be looking at.

I would take Shawcross in a heart beat.

Lads a born leader and exactly the sort of player we need.

I don't necessarily think either are what we'll be looking for but both should be considered for England. I see them as very similar 'old-fashioned centre backs' who don't get the recognition they deserve.

Shawcross is dirty bastard and I don't want him anywhere near Everton. Signing someone like Dann makes sense, he's used to PL and we have three promising centre back already but soon only one experienced one.

Shawcross is exactly what we need, someone ewho isn't frightened to have it with a Costa or Giroud type player. Someone with a bit of passion.

LMAO at the Shawcross shout.... Absolute yard dog. Oh I can see the acceptance of mediocrity already. Pour me another.

LMAO at us being able to afford a ball playing centre half.

Mediocrity with Shawcross? No, affordable, in our wage structure and MIGHT be interested in joining.

Our defence has no bite, no one who will roll their socks round their ankles and go toe to toe with the opposition. Our defence gets bullied because we're too nice, we concede loads of goals from headers because we're shit in the air nobody wants to throw their heads in the way of a nastly looking challenge nobody wants to step up.

Shawcross is EXACTLY the type of defender we need and he is not medioce he's easily good enough for our side because we are mediocre as well if that's your opinion of him.

Guess he'll have to wait in line behind al these ball playing centre halfs who are lining up to join a team that finished 11th has cirtually no transfer budget pays the 10th highest wages in the league and can offer nothing but , well.. Mediocrity to them.