IGNORED

Tottenham (Home)

Kev627

Still miles off the pace, just not sharp at all. Doesn't try to get a shot away or beat the man. Better but not the player we know.

Finally better than Glee's Artie though!

20100409__DL11-GLEE-ARTIE-t_300.jpg

Super happy for that result, AND another £30. Had Coleman down for next goal!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, best performance of the season by a mile, can we play one of the top six every week?! We look a proper team against them boys.

So when do we start the Cahill debate? Top scorer yes, legend yes, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, we play better without him and two up front. Saha and Beckford both had decent games tonight, we created chances and I'm willing to bet if we'd been playing our supposedly rank out of form strikers in pairs all season, we'd have won a fair few more games than we have done.

Bloody hell!!! WE WON!!! ANd what kind of game it was? I FOOKIN OUTSTANDING PERFOMANCE. At 60minutes played i were thinking about a draw. Not deserved but still well played. And already thought SEAMUS will be my MOTM anyway. ANd he went to get the goal :D , i just love him. Whole team had much more attitude today than long time before. ANd we had 2 reborn players on the pitch aswell. Where has this King Louis been hiding all the season so far? Hope he will continue from this and dont next game fall down to middle of the pitch and we dont have any1 up there. ANd Mikel, wtf he did pass attacking passes to front and we had a threat again. Im happy, its been a long time ive been so happy. We lost the focus bit after we did 2-1, but hopefully that will be off also at next games and this has to be a huge confidentboost for us. COYB!!! And yes, YAK should have kill the game with goal to 3-1 but he has been out of the pitch for a months, you cant expect him to be 100% match fit and sharp what he has somedays been. It seemed a bit like whole team wanted to show also that we are not just Tim Cahill, even we will miss him ofc. Oh Fuck im off the pub, Cheers :D

Wow, best performance of the season by a mile, can we play one of the top six every week?! We look a proper team against them boys.

So when do we start the Cahill debate? Top scorer yes, legend yes, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, we play better without him and two up front. Saha and Beckford both had decent games tonight, we created chances and I'm willing to bet if we'd been playing our supposedly rank out of form strikers in pairs all season, we'd have won a fair few more games than we have done.

As i've said before, Cahill needs to supplement the team not the team supplement Cahill. We have to stick with an old tired formation and tactics to get the best from him.

In a 4-4-3 like Chelsea I believe we could maybe accomodate him (Lamapard role), 4-5-1 definately. Saying drop Cahill is likely to get some crazed comments on here - but I agree, neither a midfielder or striker but one brilliant team mate who will find space to exploit. Unfortunately we can't and shouldn't stick to 4-5-1 to include him.

Felli tonight gave us the most prescence I have seen from an Everton midfielder in a long long time (never would have thought it, but then again he was being played in an advanced role at the time)

Great game. Beckford and Sahara* upfront looked like they could be something. Baines player well. Arteta had a good game. Saha lucky not to cause a goal for spurs when crouch took his run too early running off side. Howard man of the match in my eyes.

*Sahara due to his dry spell.

Edited by Peter H

We've played some very good football in previous games this season, just with no end result.

I predicted 3-1, I could just see a good performance on the way, and listed Cahills absence as one reason for it.

Moyes' hand was forced, and it worked.

A good cup result and a win away at lowly liverpool, could set us up for the dependable 2nd half of the season surge.Thing is I want a lot more points between us and the bottom three, after all Wolves have just beaten Chelsea.

When Cahill returns, mix it up a bit, play him a bit higher as a partner for the striker, or rest him on the bench against certain teams......don't let opponents know where the hell he's coming from, just don't play him as a regular midfielder.

Well done Moyes for tonight, and well done lads.

We could always sack Moyes, Hodgson may need a job after tonight.

great win boys!! positivity and some nice passin along with some hard graft in midfield!! thought arteta had one of his better days he looked to try and go forward and also put in a few good tackles...saha had the best game he has had for a long time..pienaar gave the ball away a bit too often with his fancy shit for me..distin was a beast again and johnny did as well as he could dealin with crouches elbows and arms...coleman was good again and nice and positive and took his goal well(made up for that shite pass/shot earlier)..baines was his usual self up and down all game long and i thought the captain did well tonight too..stopped bale doin much again..beckford worked hard but didn't really happen for him i felt..howard made some tidy saves and came out more often than normal for the ball which i like to see...

but mr fellaini you deserve your own paragraph..the guy almost makes me cry he's that good sometimes..he glides across the pitch and just calms the game down..the whole world seems to slow down when he has the ball and he just broke up so much..won so many headers against mr tickle..and was good goin forward too winnin the ball and bein an irritant..he was just fucking immense and that's it really

great win boys!! positivity and some nice passin along with some hard graft in midfield!! thought arteta had one of his better days he looked to try and go forward and also put in a few good tackles...saha had the best game he has had for a long time..pienaar gave the ball away a bit too often with his fancy shit for me..distin was a beast again and johnny did as well as he could dealin with crouches elbows and arms...coleman was good again and nice and positive and took his goal well(made up for that shite pass/shot earlier)..baines was his usual self up and down all game long and i thought the captain did well tonight too..stopped bale doin much again..beckford worked hard but didn't really happen for him i felt..howard made some tidy saves and came out more often than normal for the ball which i like to see...

but mr fellaini you deserve your own paragraph..the guy almost makes me cry he's that good sometimes..he glides across the pitch and just calms the game down..the whole world seems to slow down when he has the ball and he just broke up so much..won so many headers against mr tickle..and was good goin forward too winnin the ball and bein an irritant..he was just fucking immense and that's it really

This.......................but I would ask when will Sha have another decent game, he nearly blew this one...............I hope we wo't have to wait another 26 games. As most have said for weeks 4-4-2 wins games, I just hope Moyes has taken that on board.

4-4-2 doesn't accomodate cahill properly which is why i don't mind 4-5-1..4-4-2 to change it up when not working though or play against the 'weaker' sides at home to give cahill a break or phase him out a bit for when we have to face life without him but i wouldn't count on 4-4-2 being a permanent thing

MUCH better performance from the lads tonight. This is the type of performance we should be putting in every week and this is when we play well. People have said we have played well in the last few games but we played nothing like what we did tonight. We pressed, harried and even hunted the ball at times, always in the face of the Spurs players. Now we HAVE to carry this on, there is no point working so hard for 3 points to then give them away in the next game.

I actually disagree that we played 4-4-2, we played exactly the formation as we normally do with Timmy as one of the strikers always dropped back when we lost the ball. We didnt set up any differently, we were just much hungrier for the ball and we actually played positively. Yes it went to a 4-4-2 when we had the ball but we do that anyway with Cahill but the styles of the two strikers complimented each other well as one always looked to get in behind while the other dropped off. When Cahill and Saha play together I tend to find that they do the same thing and both end up coming short but today we were much more of a threat to Spurs defence and we had more movement and more passing options. Much better.

Howard made a couple of crucial saves tonight but apart from that he was quiet.

Neville did well today, shackled Bale and did some good work going forward. Much better than the last two games.

Heitinga & Distin were solid. Yes they individually made mistakes but together as a unit they looked much more solid that we have been. Not too much of a fan of Heitinga going to ground everytime crouch came near him, especially as the ref wasnt paying much attention.

Baines was quality again. Good going forward and solid at the back.

Coleman was absolutely brilliant. He could have scored 2 and greated 2 tonight. Good vision, incredible work rate and he really urges the team forward with his runs and the way he gets at defenders. My Motm.

Felli was also brilliant. Stopped so much going through the middle and he just reads the game so well. Almost Motm.

Arteta was better. Yes he was a little sloppy but he looked much more positive. Whether its because he had more options in front of him I dont know but he actually looked as though he wanted to be there. It also seemed as if he was allowed more opportunity to get forward.

Pienaar worked hard and did what we come to expect of him but again no end product. Dont get me wrong I think Pienaar is brilliant but is there any real point of him being there and doing all the work if at the end of it all he doesnt bring any goals or assists to the table? Bily might not do as much for the team but could he outweigh that with more end result? Having said that the partnership between him and Baines brings goals, would we still get that with Bily? Dont know...

Beckford and Saha worked pretty well as unit, even though I did have my doubts. Beckford really worked his arse off and while Saha was much better, and contributed to both goals, he was also fairly sloppy and could have cost us one. Would someone else have done better? Not sure, but I was pleased to see him score and hopefully there is more to come from both of them.

Yakubu should have scored at the end. He looked bereft of confidence and match sharpness. With some actual game time Im sure he would get that back, although it would be harsh to drop Saha after scoring today. I think the Yak should start alongside Beckford against Scunthorpe, lets have a real look at what they can do together, providing he hasnt been sold by then.

Last but not least the atmosphere was brilliant I just love hearing that Goodison roar when we go at teams. Hopefully we can use this as a platform to kick on, but knowing how we have been this season I am not expectant.

As i've said before, Cahill needs to supplement the team not the team supplement Cahill. We have to stick with an old tired formation and tactics to get the best from him.

In a 4-4-3 like Chelsea I believe we could maybe accomodate him (Lamapard role), 4-5-1 definately. Saying drop Cahill is likely to get some crazed comments on here - but I agree, neither a midfielder or striker but one brilliant team mate who will find space to exploit. Unfortunately we can't and shouldn't stick to 4-5-1 to include him.

Felli tonight gave us the most prescence I have seen from an Everton midfielder in a long long time (never would have thought it, but then again he was being played in an advanced role at the time)

Woah, steady on there, Moyes was no doubt having panic attacks all night playing 4-4-2 (anyone else notice how every time camera panned to him he looked like he was about to shit himself on touchline?!), let's not get too carried away!! Lex makes an interesting suggestion, play Felli and Cahill in the middle with no Arteta. Could that work? Whatever way you look at it, yeah if Cahill plays off a lone striker he looks our biggest threat, but he is our ONLY threat, with two up front last night we suddenly looked like we had options all over the place. I'm last person to wanna see Cahill left out, i love the guy, but surely Moyes has now got to see that setting up the whole team to play to the strengths of one man is not the way to do it.

Beckford didn't do a great deal last night, Cahill could easily play up front in a 442, he's our top scorer ffs. We didn't play well last night because we didn't have Cahill, we played well because we were actually positive and went out with the correct attitude. There has been very little wrong with the teams Moyes has put out this year, it's the mentality and desire to attack that has been the problem, not the personnel. To blame our poor performances on our best attacking player and top scorer this season is ludicrous.

I'm proud of the boys last night. That's surely the best we've played all season. As far as I can remember it is anyway. Where has that Everton been all season? Because that Everton is the one that can beat any side in this league. There was passion, fight and determination that has sadly been missing for much of this season. The biggest thing is that we went out there with a positive attacking intent. Going out there playing 442 worked magnificantly for us, it's just a shame it's only been tried because Moyes' hand was forced. While Beckford didn't get on the scoresheet his pace worried the Spurs defence which in turn gave Saha the space needed to create even more havoc. I don't think it's a coincidence that Saha has a partner up there with him and he went on to have his best game in very long time, and scored a cracking goal. They hunted in packs (for most of the game) and closed down the Spurs players as much as possible, forcing them to have to move the ballquicker and therefore they gave up possession a lot.

The first half I just thought we were OK tbh. We started well and got a brilliant goal but then we fell into the habit and sat off and gave Spurs room to attack us and they inevitably got the equaliser.

But I think half-time did us the world of good, because we came out for the secondhalf with a positive intent. We were awesome IMO. We really controlled the second half of the game (apart from maybe the last 15 minutes) and Spurs could not get a foothold in the game at all. Not because they were shit but because we simply didn't allow it. We forced them into playing in a way they didn't want to because we didn't give them a moments peace. And we actually looked extremely dangerous on the break with Seamus and Beckford. It's amazing what a bit of pace will do.

A totally deserved win for us, but it's just one game, we've got to build on this now or it was for nothing.

Howard - I thought he should have stopped their equaliser (I haven't watched the goal again though so I could be wrong), but he more than made up for that with a couple of crucial saves later on in the game.

Baines - He was just Baines tbh. Up and down that left side all night long, working brilliantly with Pienaar, and putting the ball in the box at every opportunity. Dealt with Lennon well too.

Distin - He had no hairy moments (I don't think?) and put in a brilliant performance. He's more than earning being first choice at CB this season.

Heitinga - Apart from his wayward long balls and initial problems with dealing with Crouch he had a solid enough game. Especially when you consider he's not played for a good while.

Neville - I don't think he dealt with Bale as well as he did at WHL, far too much backing off when he should have been tighter stopping Bale getting a run at him, but he still did pretty well against him. Phil Neville once scored a century against Australia. He used Gareth Bale as a bat ;).

Pienaar - Getting tired of saying this but, he worked his bollocks off but there was absolutely nothing at the end of anything he did tbh. When he pisses off we'll certainly miss his work rate but we won't miss his wastefulness one bit.

Arteta - There were glimpses (again) of the real Mikel Arteta but not nearly enough of them IMO. He was very sloppy with the ball, still far too much sideways and backward passing and sitting way too deep. Also, he shit out of too many challenges when other players were putting their foot in for the team.

Fellaini - When he plays like that (which is often now) he really is awesome to watch. He stopped everything that came his way with absolute ease, like it was nothing at all. He dealt brilliantly with Crouch on set pieces. Used the ball intelligently. Was calm as a cucumber no matter what was around him. Won countless headers. I loved it when he chased Hutton down towards the end of the game and Hutton tried to chip the ball over him. The ball barely reached his belly button :lol:.

Coleman - What he did may not have always come off, mostly due to a lack of composure, but I love his heart and his never say die attitude. He may try something three times and it not come off but he'll still try it a fourth time because he believes in himself, he's full of positive energy. He was like the right-sided version of Baines last night, albeit in a midfield role, constantly up and down the right flank. He literally ran himself into the ground for that win, he was still chasing everything with 93 minutes gone even though you could clearly see he was fucked. Felli may have put in a better technical performance but Coleman got my MOTM vote because he scored and for the sheer excitement I felt whenever he got the ball.

Beckford - Even though he fluffed a few chance I still thought he had a pretty good game tbh. His pace uptop caused havoc for the Spurs defence and that gave Saha far more space to work in than he's had at any point this season. It really was a partnership.

Saha - Well fuck me, where's he been hiding that sort of performance this season? He actually looked bothered for a change. He chased and chased and gave every last drop of effort he had. Held the ball up really well. For the most part he worked with our players instead of being greedy with the ball. He scored a cracking goal. A really good all round performance from Louis. I hope this is a sign of things to come and it not be a case of a one off performance.

Arteta - There were glimpses (again) of the real Mikel Arteta but not nearly enough of them IMO. He was very sloppy with the ball, still far too much sideways and backward passing and sitting way too deep. Also, he shit out of too many challenges when other players were putting their foot in for the team.

nice round up as usual man but i think you're a tad harsh on arteta..countless times i remember him gettin a good tackle in and also he played the ball out of our defensive area a few times rather than hoofing..other than that i agree with it all

nice round up as usual man but i think you're a tad harsh on arteta..countless times i remember him gettin a good tackle in and also he played the ball out of our defensive area a few times rather than hoofing..other than that i agree with it all

He did put his foot in a couple of times but at other times he pussy'd out of them. It pissed me off.

A Spurs view of the game -

http://tottenhamonmymind.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/does-moyes-read-tottenham-on-my-mind/

I dont think we need to drop Cahill on 442. He would work hes ass off anyway as an "only" attacking central midfielder.

Saha-Yakubu

Cahill

Pienaar-Coleman

Fellaini

Baines-Distin-Jagielka-Neville

Howard

I like this set up, I would just change Jags for Heitinga, Jags has still scored more goals than Saha (unfortunately for the other teams). Also I like the idea of Cahill playing his natural position - Attacking Mid. I would have Fellaini at CDM, but interchange with Rodwell.