IGNORED

Liverpool (Away)

MikeO

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pienaar, "..didn't think his head was right to play in this game.." according to Moyes.

He should be docked a week's wages for that....you can't phone in work and say sorry my head's not right, see you next week.

That's made me cross :angry: .

Agreed, outrageous. The last gesture he could have made to the fans would have been to play and give a 100% performance against our rivals. I would go for two weeks wages, what's there to lose? Money is clearly his master, his agent would have handled negotiations until he crawls back under his rock for two more years.

Trying to big up the 4-4-2? You are talking nonsense. We stuck at 4-4-2 when we scored two goals! If a striker drops deep does that make him a midfielder? If baines overlaps the midfield does that make him a winger?

Fact is we played with two strikers for the vast majority of the match. Midfield was not over run, some pretty poor passing at times, osman playing as a wide man with our main goalthreat missing. A performance of endeavour, edgeof seat stuff, catching Liverpool on the break and vice versa

I think you must be delusional. We were so obviously playing 451 with Anichebe on the LW in the second half yet somehow you fail to see it. Didn't you notice that Anichebe spent the whole time hogging the left touchline? in what respect was it 442? We may have played with two strikers but one of the them was on the wing for the entire second half which is why we actually got back into the game whereas in the first half we were totally overrun by Liverpool's five man midfield.

That being said, as I've said all along this season, the teams Moyes is putting out are not the problem, the attitude is and that first half performance, 442 aside, was abysmal and I don't think we even closed down a red shirt in the last 20 minutes of that half. Anichebe had a big impact on the game second half, he deserves to play there next game and not Bily.

Edited by carlmc25

I think you must be delusional. We were so obviously playing 451 with Anichebe on the LW in the second half yet somehow you fail to see it. Didn't you notice that Anichebe spent the whole time hogging the left touchline? in what respect was it 442? We may have played with two strikers but one of the them was on the wing for the entire second half which is why we actually got back into the game whereas in the first half we were totally overrun by Liverpool's five man midfield.

That being said, as I've said all along this season, the teams Moyes is putting out are not the problem, the attitude is and that first half performance, 442 aside, was abysmal and I don't think we even closed down a red shirt in the last 20 minutes of that half. Anichebe had a big impact on the game second half, he deserves to play there next game and not Bily.

He worked the left channel, very similar to what anelka does for Chelsea, we went to 4-5-1 on 74 mins... Agree to disagree whatever...

Wow that first half was an utter disgrace. I don't think I've ever felt so deflated while watching an Everton performance. I've seen us play worse than that... just, but there was so much hope before the game started and then that's what was served up. It was as if it was just a training match; players jogging around without a care in the world, we let them have all the space they wanted because we didn't even bother getting close to them, the defence a complete shambles. They looked like scoring from every single attack and we owe Howard a lot of thanks because without him we could have been 3 or 4 down at least. I literally cannot think of a single positive of that first half.

Thankfully the players remembered this was a derby and that they should actually start to play. And play we did. We came out and fucking blitzed them and they couldn't handle it, you could see every one of their players shrink from the challenge. We deservedly got an equaliser and then took the lead. I'm with Hafnia though, I thought we came out in the second half still 442 and reverted to the 451 once we got ourselves in the lead. And that disgusted me if I'm honest and proved to me that Moyes really doesn't have the bottle for the big games. They were well and truly on the ropes and we should have at least been going for a third goal. I felt we needed the third goal if I'm honest because Liverpool were always gonna have another spell in the game where they'd threaten. Then the inevitable happened; they got their equaliser. Howard must have had a brain fart because he really didn't need to dive in, stonewall penalty. After that only one side looked like they could win it, and they weren't playing in blue.

At the start of the season I'm sure all of us would have taken 4 points from the two derbies but we really blew it today IMO, we could have really shit on their parade if not for a lack of bottle.

Howard - Kept us in it in the first half but made a costly error to give the penalty away.

Baines - He was by no means bad but I don't think he was as good as we know he can be. He did get forward a bit but not as much as usual.

Distin - I thought he was an absolute rock at the back. For the most part he had Torres in his back pocket which is no mean feat. He took his goal really well too :). I just wish that he'd go at some aerial balls first time instead of letting them bounce because he got caught out at least twice today by letting it bounce and it almost cost us.

Heitinga - He really showed that CB is where he's happiest. He was very solid and calm at the back. I hope that he's not just discarded for Jags once he's back because Johnny has earned the right to keep his place.

Neville - He was absolutely awful, particularly in the first half and played a massive role in their opener. WTF was he thinking by backing off Johnson that much? That would have been bad enough but then he let Johnson get on his right foot to put the cross in. His idiotic backing off carried on for the whole game. It was pathetic and so was he.

Osman - Awful first half from him. He hardly got involved at all. Much improved in the second half, like every one really and he was involved a lot more.

Arteta - A complete waste of space, a passenger.

Fellaini - Tie him down a chair until he signs a new deal :P. The man was fucking immense today. He was literally a magnet for the ball. It was like he knew where the ball was going before the Liverpool players knew where they were going to play it themselves and he was just there waiting for it every time. Not only did he do the defensive work he also had to get our attacks going as well because of another no show by our supposed creative midfielder, the non-existent Arteta. I can only remember him making one mistake and that was when he went to pass it to Heitinga but instead played the ball right across our box to a Liverpool player. Other than that he was flawless. My MOTM.

Coleman - Extremely quiet in terms of an attacking threat but I thought he helped out well defensively. He had to tbh because Neville was terrible.

Beckford - I wrote him off when we signed him but I'm really warming to him now. I thought he had another great game. His movement was first rate and if his finishing was as good we'd have a beast of a striker tbh. I'm so glad he scored too, he fully deserved it. I was very disappointed that he was taken off, it should have been Anichebe that went IMO.

Anichebe - I thought he was a lazy sack of shit tbh, more so in the first half but it didn't change much in the second half either. Except that he'd run about a little bit every 10 minutes and then become a slouch again.

Wow that first half was an utter disgrace. I don't think I've ever felt so deflated while watching an Everton performance. I've seen us play worse than that... just, but there was so much hope before the game started and then that's what was served up. It was as if it was just a training match; players jogging around without a care in the world, we let them have all the space they wanted because we didn't even bother getting close to them, the defence a complete shambles. They looked like scoring from every single attack and we owe Howard a lot of thanks because without him we could have been 3 or 4 down at least. I literally cannot think of a single positive of that first half.

Thankfully the players remembered this was a derby and that they should actually start to play. And play we did. We came out and fucking blitzed them and they couldn't handle it, you could see every one of their players shrink from the challenge. We deservedly got an equaliser and then took the lead. I'm with Hafnia though, I thought we came out in the second half still 442 and reverted to the 451 once we got ourselves in the lead. And that disgusted me if I'm honest and proved to me that Moyes really doesn't have the bottle for the big games. They were well and truly on the ropes and we should have at least been going for a third goal. I felt we needed the third goal if I'm honest because Liverpool were always gonna have another spell in the game where they'd threaten. Then the inevitable happened; they got their equaliser. Howard must have had a brain fart because he really didn't need to dive in, stonewall penalty. After that only one side looked like they could win it, and they weren't playing in blue.

I had the misfortune of watching this game at a sports centre with about a dozen red shite, much of what you say seems about right, but I'd say that after the penalty, the game could have gone either way, not perhaps as you put it, only one winner.We lost the signal for about 5 mins around about 82 min and the rs were all convinced when we were reconected Everton would be ahead!We didn't really create good chances, but we did seem a threat to them, and I know for a fact the rs fans didn't grumble too much at the final whistle, they seemed happy with a draw in the end.

It was a penalty, although the ref didn't seem too sure for a start.

As you say Arteta!....what a shame.

Swept aside, almost scared of upsetting the return of the king, we were lucky to still be in the game, second half, we should have pushed on and smashed them.

first half i wont even talk about..not good enough simple as...2nd half(well first 10 mins) we were beltin and took the game to them! ossie played a great part in the second goal and for me that is why we won't miss pienaar cos ossie has an end product to his balls..pienaar doesn't have enough for me...ok it's one game but it's one game were he has done more than the pieman has in the final third...defo a penalty and very annoyed at howard for givin it away but he was solid and made some good saves so mistakes happen...overall i'm happy with a draw i'm just glad to get today out of the way

special mention for sir fellaini...you my man are a monster..absolute man mountain today!! i got pissed of at andy gray for even mentionin moyes throwin him up front in the second half!! :angry: he was an animal at the back and if anyone can find a better DM in the prem at the moment please let me know cos i'm strugglin!!

I think dummy boards are produced once a year and given out to pundits and commentators alike. I nearly screamed when I heard gray mention fellaini in an advanced role. He wouldn't be so lazy to suggest Essien as an attacking midfielder, or carrick, so why Felli? The biggest neglect of a players position was committed by moyes when he had the lad playing in an advanced role.

I actually thought at times we looked shaky at the back, torres was able to find space far too often to run into and distin had his work cut out trying to recover. If it wasnt for the Belgian beast we would have lost that today.

Its so weird. Me and Romey have so same "eye" on our games. I can again underline that his whole post. And its not just this game, its been like that from the beginning when i joined this forum :) thats why i have so little bit of post all these years. No need to write post, cause Romey has already said what i was meant to say ^^

edit: btw just checked when Romey has joined, hes joined after me, but im sure he had earlier account ^^ or then i remember only from, when i were out of comp about year, and when i "found" this forum again :)

Edited by LexKing

Its so weird. Me and Romey have so same "eye" on our games. I can again underline that his whole post. And its not just this game, its been like that from the beginning when i joined this forum :) thats why i have so little bit of post all these years. No need to write post, cause Romey has already said what i was meant to say ^^

Feel the love :D .

Tell you what Lex, just for fun, you write the player analysis instead of Mark next time...be interesting to see if the feeling's reciprocated ;) .

Speaking of player analysis..

Not sure how Sky do their Player ratings

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_facts/0,19762,11065_3337238,00.html

Here's an even more mystifying one....

http://www.espnstar.com/football/news/detail/item565289/Liverpool-vs-Everton-Player-Ratings/

Arteta & Neville higher rated than Felli (and no-one gets a lower rating than him).

"He needed to step up more offensively in Cahill's absence and I thought his decision making going forward was average at best."

Clueless.

Nobody mentioned how much we missed Pienaar, Lost count of how many times they broke away cos Baines was caught upfield. I,m an Osman fan but he was U S yesterday, we were also U S on the other flank With Neville and Coleman, Neville must be the only player i know who can run backwards as fast as he can forwards, Johnson was given a free run into the penalty area every time.

Fellaini was the top performer yesterday, closely followed by Distin.

PS .. did anybody notice Heitinga slapping Torres across the face. ??

He worked the left channel, very similar to what anelka does for Chelsea, we went to 4-5-1 on 74 mins... Agree to disagree whatever...

well we'll have to agree to disagree but personally, when Anichebe spent the whole second half pinned to the left touchline and Osman spent the whole time more central, to me that suggests Anichebe was in fact playing LW in a 451 because Moyes recognised we were getting battered. The fact that Anichebe was then replaced by Bily, a LW, tends to reinforce my thinking. But anyway, as I've said in previous posts and topics, the formation wasn't really to blame in the first half anyway (like it hasn't been in any game this season) it's the attitudes of the players that have been totally unacceptable on too many occasions.

Guest blueboy122

Bill.....

He did not slap him across the face at all. Johnny went to say sorry for pushing him over.. which was funny actually and he went over to tap him on the head and apologise. Torres saw his arse and sort slapped johnnys hand out of the way. I cant stand Torres as a player hes a great player but got a huge attitude problem hes always trying to cheat and win fouls by backing into defenders and then claims he was fouled ( Terry incident was the best were Terry gave him a right good talking to in his first season I think), moaning because the defenders are given him a hard time, did anyone see him kick out Distin when Distin sheilded the ball out.. whats that about?,I have more respect for Drogba as a player than I do Torres. Just cant stand him! Hes a prick and he plays for the red shite

Definately a game of two halves. It was obvious they were going to be up for it with Dalgleish's first game at home but we should have been as equally as fired up to silence the crowd and get their already frayed nerves jangling further. Whilst we looked awful in the first half their where some encouraging signs, Fellaini had the beating of their midfield and used as a target man at set pieces, especially far post free kicks. However, defensively we looked slow, Baines and Osman looked quite pedestrian, unless Kelly is really quick, Arteta took so long to get into the game and offered little for the two front men to get on the end of. Fast forward fifteen minutes from 2.50pm and a whole different ball game, winning 50-50's, getting men in the box and deservedly taking the lead, a third then would have killed them off, but as we usually do we began to get deeper and a rash challenge afforded them a way back into it. Plenty of positives to take out of the game, confidence for Beckford (and for Anichebe who came more into the game as it went on). Fellaini getting back to his best, Arteta slowly getting there and the form of Distin. A fair result overall.

“The manager was angry at half time, and he made us realise we are better than that and had to give more. What he said worked quite well.

“Four points against Liverpool is okay but everyone is quite disappointed because we felt like we could’ve won that game. But in the cold light of day, three points at home and one away is good overall.

“We could have easily been two or three nil down at half time so overall it was a fair result,” he continued.

“First half it just wasn’t us. It happens sometimes, even when you have good intentions you can’t show it on the pitch. We didn’t play our football in the first half, and second half we were a completely different team. I’ll call it the magic of the half time.”

- Distin

I think dummy boards are produced once a year and given out to pundits and commentators alike. I nearly screamed when I heard gray mention fellaini in an advanced role. He wouldn't be so lazy to suggest Essien as an attacking midfielder, or carrick, so why Felli? The biggest neglect of a players position was committed by moyes when he had the lad playing in an advanced role.

I actually thought at times we looked shaky at the back, torres was able to find space far too often to run into and distin had his work cut out trying to recover. If it wasnt for the Belgian beast we would have lost that today.

Yeh I thought that when Andy Gray mentioned moving Felli forward. Although to be fair to him, he only said it because he was dominating Liverpools centre halves in the air from set pieces and if we were playing long ball (which we were) having him up there probably wouldnt have been a bad thing. However when he saw Kyriagkos come on he changed his mind.

I think its a real shame that we reverted back to how we have been playing in that first half. Was it the managers instructions or were the players a little overawed by the occasion? Not sure but we forgot the principles that made us perform much better in the last couple of games. We sat back way too much, Arteta was too deep, the build up play was slow and sloppy.

Beckford and Vic as a strike partnership didnt really get going. Vic was very rusty, which is what happens when you dont play any meaningful game time, like he hasnt all season and lets not forget the Beckford wasnt really making many in roads either in the first half, although his work rate was better. Vic clearly moved over to the left at the end of the first half, although he wasnt exactly told to track back. Call it 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 but tbh he didnt really have a proper role and didnt really look like he knew what he should be doing!

We might not have strictly been a 4-5-1 but he was definitely out left and stayed left and that allowed Osman more freedom to break forward which he did really well. That is exactly what Arteta should be doing in support of the strikers especially when we only have one central striker (which we did 2nd half). Fellaini can without doubt cope defensively and unless he drifts forward, arteta shouldnt be dropping deeper than him. There were a number of occasions where he wasnt marking a man, or filling a zone and that helped Liverpool create the chances they did as they exploited those gaps.

At 2-1 we should have kicked on and taken the game to Liverpool and as Romey states, it was really sickening to see us start to drop deeper and protect what we had. Its exactly what we did against them at our place and against City only this time it backfired and we gave away a sloppy penalty. The ironic thing is, we looked so much more comfortable defensively when we were playing more attacking. We keep the ball better as Fellaini disposes anyone who comes near him and with Heitinga & Distins ability to read the game they can just jump in and stop attacks before they start. They cant score without the ball (maybe if Jags is around!) and simply letting them have possession and sitting deeper and deeper cost us the points.

Before a ball was kicked we should have won and at 2-1 up we should have really stuck the boot in. Unfortunately we threw it away by being too cautious like we have all bloody season. Just when you think Moyes is starting to get his act together and show us exactly how he can set the team up to win, he reverts back to a 'not losing' mentality, when really top managers go for the jugular.

Regarding that barge in the back, i think Torres tried to block him from getting out to a tackle but he just went straight through him. :P

Watching the full re-run on Liverpool TV Gary Gillespie says...

"Heitinga just barges into him.....there's no need for Fernando Torres to go down that easy though."