IGNORED

Birmingham (H)

MikeO

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely criminal that.

But you need a goal so take off Beckford for Anichebe?! Baffles me...does Davey see something in training? Because there's fuck all happening on the pitch to suggest that's a sane move :huh: . We'd stand a better chance of scoring if he put Mucha on up front.

Could someone please tell me what Anichebe brings to this team? I just dont understand it.

Shite performance, should be beating teams like that at home. And once again Birmingham play "Park the bus" football and will get praised for it as they did in the Final. It's embarrasing that their in Europe if im honest.

Poor again... Birmingham were crap today as well and we should have taken the points comfortably. Yet again its the same problems, too slow, too predictable, not enough movement throughout the team and completely uninspiring subs. Not everyone played badly though and this was a game where Rodwell stepped up again. He may not have been outstanding but bar the last 10 where he got a little sloppy he was our best player and everything went through him. Osman & Baines were the only other 2 to come out with any positives while Heitinga was solid and did what he had to.

Yet again the defence looks leaky and we concede very sloppily. They dont look like a unit and they seem to be affecting each other at times. I still think we should have given Heits and Jags a shout at some point this season. Distin has been very good for the most part since the Utd game but he clearly doesnt work with either in a partnership and thats what matters.

Again Moyes pisses the crap out of me. Surely if he really thought Europe was a realistic chance then we had to win this game. Why take off our main threat (not only for himself but also in creating space for others) and replace him with someone who erm is 'statistically' unlikely to contribute. I dont mind bringing Vic on, but not for Beckford, take off Heitinga and play a 4-3-3 type formation. Birmingham werent even trying to attack so why not go at them? Then why bring Bily on with less than 5 mins left? He was lucky if he got 5 touches of the ball... Either give him more time or just dont bother and instead stick Jags or Distin forward and lets go long.

That is probably now the end of our season in a competitive sense, yes the prize money increases but bar half miracle we wont qualify for Europe. Its sad to think our best squad for years doesnt look like its going to be one of the top 6 in the country.

it was pretty disappointing there at the end, no one really tried to step up and really change the game. it's sad that i really didn't even expect a winner after the 75th minute. im glad we at least got a point, but that's a match we need to get all 3 points from. they barely had the ball and we just sat above their 18 for the better part of the second half, but never really threatened apart from a few half chances. i feel very disappointed right now. we need to get full points from the next 4 or 5 games, at least most are at home.

Could someone please tell me what Anichebe brings to this team? I just dont understand it.

Shite performance, should be beating teams like that at home. And once again Birmingham play "Park the bus" football and will get praised for it as they did in the Final. It's embarrasing that their in Europe if im honest.

Thats how we got into Europe.

The manager has to set the team up to get the result he wants and McLeish did that. It might not be pretty but its good management, even if I think Birmingham could have probably come away with more if they had tried a little harder.

Thats how we got into Europe.

The manager has to set the team up to get the result he wants and McLeish did that. It might not be pretty but its good management, even if I think Birmingham could have probably come away with more if they had tried a little harder.

We got into Europe with that team mainly because that was all moyes had to work with, he was on a shoe string budget and still is. Correct me if im wrong but Birmingham paid quite a sum of money for Zigic and that Bousijour (SP?) the purchase of Zigic basically spells out that they want to go out and play that type of football, when clubs like Blackpool are coming into the division and playing great football, proving that you dont "have" to play like that in order to get results. IMO its just bad for football, as i believe this year more than any with the new managers at Bolton and Blackburn (2 of the old culprits) the football from pretty much every team has been great at Times. (Bar Stoke and Birmingham)

Dominate possession. Create few chances but still should have scored enough to win the game. Too slow, in every aspect. Lots of play infront of their defence that went nowhere. Couldn't break down or break through another poor side. Player finally finds some form. Said player then gets injured.

Sums up our season.

Howard - His unwillingness and hesitancy to come off his line did my head in but he didn't have all that much to do.

Hibbert - I don't think he had the best first half but he was fantastic in the second half. It's just a shame his crossing isn't up to scratch, his deep, floaty crosses don't really help us. We need him to whip the ball in.

Jagielka and Distin - Same old, same old. They do not work well together at all.

Baines - Should have done more to steop the cross coming in for their goal but it says everything about our play that he, a left back, was our most creative player. If anything was going to happen to get us a second goal it was going to come through him, he put cross after cross into the box and worked fairly well with Osman.

Arteta - Soon as he went off I kissed the 3 points goodbye tbh.

Coleman - I thought he worked well with Hibbert and made some really good runs to give him the opportunity to put the ball into the box, but his crossing was awful.

Heitinga - Cracking goal but for most of the game Birmingham simply played it around him. Better in the second half than the first though IMO. I can remember him working hard to get the ball back and helped pen Birmingham back and put a few balls into the box in the second half, whereas I don't recall him doing anything in the first half.

Rodwell - I wish he'd have made a few more runs forward rather than go forward a few steps and then pass sideways, I felt he should have been driving at them more often. He did have a decent game though, until the end when he tired.

Osman - He drifted inside a little too often for my liking but I can forgive that when he puts in a top quality performance like he did last night. A lot of the time he's far too lightweight but the amount of times he battled to keep the ball or win it from a Birmingham player was incredible. If little Leon can do that why can't other, bigger, players do the same? *cough* Anichebe *cough*. Coupled with that he did what I wanted Rodwell to do and drove through them on numerous occasions. Brillaint performance, my MOTM.

Saha - What is his facination with pulling out to the left wing? Does he not realise he's taking up the room that Baines needs?! Also, is he afraid of the penalty area? Because he seemed reluctant to get in there :blink:. That being said, he held the ball up well and used the ball intelligently most of the time.

Beckford - While he didn't have a brilliant game I would never have taken him off, least of all for Anichebe! We were never going to slice through the heart of Birmingham so Beckford's pace would have been a good outlet. Infact, a couple of times his pace got him chances on goal from hoofed balls from the defence. That was likely to be our only way of getting a winner. Instead Moyes decides to bring the non-goalscoring Anichebe on when we needed a goal. Baffling.

Edited by Romey 1878

We got into Europe with that team mainly because that was all moyes had to work with, he was on a shoe string budget and still is. Correct me if im wrong but Birmingham paid quite a sum of money for Zigic and that Bousijour (SP?) the purchase of Zigic basically spells out that they want to go out and play that type of football, when clubs like Blackpool are coming into the division and playing great football, proving that you dont "have" to play like that in order to get results. IMO its just bad for football, as i believe this year more than any with the new managers at Bolton and Blackburn (2 of the old culprits) the football from pretty much every team has been great at Times. (Bar Stoke and Birmingham)

I wouldnt class Birmingham a technically gifted squad, and personally i think there are a lot of comparisons to be made with the team got us to the Champions League. Our squad that qualified still included the likes of Arteta and Osman and Moyes had just spent the £20+mil from the Rooney sale (i think?) so its not like we didnt have money either. We didnt have to play like that but we did and it was successful, and I think its harsh to slag off Birmingham for grinding exactly the same way we did, even if you dont believe its the way to play.

I wouldnt class Birmingham a technically gifted squad, and personally i think there are a lot of comparisons to be made with the team got us to the Champions League. Our squad that qualified still included the likes of Arteta and Osman and Moyes had just spent the £20+mil from the Rooney sale (i think?) so its not like we didnt have money either. We didnt have to play like that but we did and it was successful, and I think its harsh to slag off Birmingham for grinding exactly the same way we did, even if you dont believe its the way to play.

Had he? :blink:

When we got into the champions League, we still had the likes of Bent and Ferguson upfront, the only money Moyes had really spent was the £2m for Arteta and Cahill, anyone else was bought in for next to nothing. You also said "we didnt have to play like that" but when all you can afford is Bent and Ferguson what choice do you have? Birmingham made the choice to go out and buy a 6 ft 7 centre forward for what? £7m? My point is, that the football this year has been great, free flowing and brilliant to watch even with the likes of Blackpool, on a very low budget getting some great results with a great footballing mentality, which is what football is all about.. entertainment, they know they're not as good as a lot of the teams in this league, but there still going to come out and give it everything whilst playing some great football. The main reason they have dipped and conceded quite a lot is because basically their defence is poor. I personally just think its a bit embarrassing that the lowest scorers of all 4 Divisions in England will represent England in a European competition, if it was Blackpool or West Brom, Bolton etc i would be right behind them all the way, call it footballing snobery but i just dont like Birminghams style and like it or not, they were extremely lucky in the Final.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Don't forget Simon Davies and Per Kroldrup :lol:. £5million each weren't they?

Kroldrup.... The whole rumour regarding him still scares me. When you look at Billy it makes you wonder whether moyes will throw darts at a board at relatively unknown foreign talent. Put it this way, pienaar and arteta were try before you buy. Would we have committed money to the previous two? That said, fellaini would have been returned too.

Had he? :blink:

When we got into the champions League, we still had the likes of Bent and Ferguson upfront, the only money Moyes had really spent was the £2m for Arteta and Cahill, anyone else was bought in for next to nothing. You also said "we didnt have to play like that" but when all you can afford is Bent and Ferguson what choice do you have? Birmingham made the choice to go out and buy a 6 ft 7 centre forward for what? £7m? My point is, that the football this year has been great, free flowing and brilliant to watch even with the likes of Blackpool, on a very low budget getting some great results with a great footballing mentality, which is what football is all about.. entertainment, they know they're not as good as a lot of the teams in this league, but there still going to come out and give it everything whilst playing some great football. The main reason they have dipped and conceded quite a lot is because basically their defence is poor. I personally just think its a bit embarrassing that the lowest scorers of all 4 Divisions in England will represent England in a European competition, if it was Blackpool or West Brom, Bolton etc i would be right behind them all the way, call it footballing snobery but i just dont like Birminghams style and like it or not, they were extremely lucky in the Final.

Im pretty sure we sold Rooney the season before we qualified for the CL and Im also fairly sure Moyes used a fair whack of that on a handful of players (although cant remember who they were off the top of my head - Neville?).

Birmigham have had success by being compact, having 2 very strong old fashioned CB's and a combative midfield. I dont understand why he would look to change that, especially not radically. If you are going to play like that then you need a striker that fits and they either need pace or strength and Birmingham have both in different players. A bit like Moyes, McLeish is also starting to add a little quality here and there (mainly Bentley) and he will probably look to bring in more once he can get the other players to suit that style of play. It might not be great to watch but it gets points and when you are staring at relegation, thats exactly what you need. At the end of the day its grinding points out like that, which could end up being the difference and Id back them to stay up more than Blackpool or West Brom.

I also disagree they were extremely lucky in the final. yes the goal was a massive cock up but they had a host of decent chances and were probably closest to scoring the winner before it eventually came.

I understand where your coming from, and I too would like to watch good football, but teams have to get points which ever way they can. Birmingham have been pretty successful in the last few years playing this way and they shouldnt change it just because it doesnt look pretty.

Guest blueboy122

This season we sold Rooney we only bought cahill and marcus bent and then arteta only arrived in January, to replace Tommy Grav. Simon davies and per kroldup were only bought after we had qualified for the champions league! By the way just as a matter of interest is it correct that if we had beaten Villareal and got through to the groups then we would have recieved 20 million or something there abouts.

Performance has been summed up by other members so wont go over it, keywords are flat,gutless,heartless,poor etc

..is it correct that if we had beaten Villareal and got through to the groups then we would have recieved 20 million or something there abouts.

Think we'd have had to win the thing to get that amount of money.

Quick search gives the 2009 figures as €400,000 for each group match, so €2.4m guaranteed even if you lose all six games. €600,000 win bonus per game and €300,000 for the draw.

Would have been less in 05/06.

Probably other sources of income also...the "market pool" which I think contains TV money etc but I'm not sure how that works.

Think we'd have had to win the thing to get that amount of money.

Quick search gives the 2009 figures as €400,000 for each group match, so €2.4m guaranteed even if you lose all six games. €600,000 win bonus per game and €300,000 for the draw.

Would have been less in 05/06.

Probably other sources of income also...the "market pool" which I think contains TV money etc but I'm not sure how that works.

think you get some money just for appearing in the thing aswell besides the amount per match..also tv rights money is huge from what i have seen! that fuckin bald twat cost us..still haven't got over that :angry:

think you get some money just for appearing in the thing aswell besides the amount per match..also tv rights money is huge from what i have seen! that fuckin bald twat cost us..still haven't got over that :angry:

Me neither really, best ref in the world? My arse!