IGNORED

Sylvain Distin

Theres no mention of money but i doubt it would be 5m. Plus, Distin has been our rock in the centre this year, carrying Jags in a lot of games. I wouldnt sell him though i understand the argument with his age is tempting.

Sorry, just cant stand that twitchy faced twat!!! People say he is a good manager but what players has he actually 'brought on'?? all he is good at is spending money to poach other teams players. I dont care if he offers £25 million for Distin, tell him to Fook off!!!!!!

Big yes from me tbh, thanks muchly Harry. He's getting on, may as well get some money for him while we can. It's not like Jags and Heitinga couldn't comfortably offset him leaving.

Agreed, maybe Upson on a free to replace him?

What a strange one this is! In all seriousness if anyone gives us the chance to recoup our outlay on a Player who will be nearing 36 after next season you have got to snap their hands off.

He isn't a richard gough or davie weir in the sense he is a reader of the game and can play the ball, it's about athleticism. A fine athlete he is too but when will the legs say farewell? My guess is in next year or so. We have some cover to be able to bag £5m and put it to work. If Duffy, rodwell, mustafi are at the stage where they could cover for heitinga and jags then yes.

What a strange one this is! In all seriousness if anyone gives us the chance to recoup our outlay on a Player who will be nearing 36 after next season you have got to snap their hands off.

He isn't a richard gough or davie weir in the sense he is a reader of the game and can play the ball, it's about athleticism. A fine athlete he is too but when will the legs say farewell? My guess is in next year or so. We have some cover to be able to bag £5m and put it to work. If Duffy, rodwell, mustafi are at the stage where they could cover for heitinga and jags then yes.

You speak sense young Skywalker Hafnia.

Big yes from me tbh, thanks muchly Harry. He's getting on, may as well get some money for him while we can. It's not like Jags and Heitinga couldn't comfortably offset him leaving.

Both are pretty much what I was going to say. I like Distin and while he has been a rock for large chunks of the season he has also cost us several goals with his lapses. In fact he has primarily been at fault in my eyes for all four goals Utd have scored against us this season.

We are skint and to get the 5-6mil back would be great business. The problem we have is that we dont know whether Rodwell, Mustafi & Duffy will be good enough at the top level because we have never seen them play in a competitive match at the top level. If one of them had played there instead or Hibbert or Neville in the winter or in a couple of cup games then we might have a clue, but Moyes chose not to take that option.

Knowing Moyes and knowing Everton I bet we offer Distin a new 5 year deal in the coming weeks!

I've never got the hype with Upson, I don't rate him at all, and he's about Distin's age anyway.

Upson is 2 years younger and available on a free. As for th hype, I dont think their is much hype around him to be honest? however you dont get the recognition from a couple of England managers with call up's to the squad without being a good player, I would say he is at the same level as Distin so if we could get money for Distin and get Upson in on a free I think it will be a good bit of business.

Upson is 2 years younger and available on a free. As for th hype, I dont think their is much hype around him to be honest? however you dont get the recognition from a couple of England managers with call up's to the squad without being a good player, I would say he is at the same level as Distin so if we could get money for Distin and get Upson in on a free I think it will be a good bit of business.

Heitinga and Jags are both better than him, I'd rather have Duffy or Mustafi sit on the bench before that ringpiece, save on the wages. Emile Heskey has been called up by numerous England manager's...

Certainly defenders seem to hit a sweet spot where mentally and physically they are at the right place and they are rock solid - seems to be 30-34. Under this age the proven defenders cost big money. Maybe the idea is to get the 30 year olds, sell them on at 33 ish and repeat cycle whilst bringing the young talent along.

Perfect example re distin would be Gary Neville - always had bags of recovery pace, great timing and positioning - all of a sudden the wheels came off. Do we have the luxury of waiting for that to happen with Distin?

On a side note, I know we are overloaded with defensive coaches etc - but Davey Weir would be a cracking recruit.

• 11 months later...
Guest blueboy122

God our club is so frustrating at times. Why not just give the man the two year deal he deserves any other team would have done it months ago, he is a man mountain and has done more than enough to earn his 2 year extention.

Andy Lewis @efc_andylewis

Official: Sylvain Distin has signed a new one-year contract with #everton that keeps him at the Club for the 2012/13 season.

and from the man himself:

Sylvain Distin @sylvaind15tin

Contract sorted. I ll be with you next season guys. I m happy about that. #COYB

even the OS is quick to announce it :o

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/05/25/new-deal-for-distin

Edited by Matt