IGNORED

Elstone Blog In Reply To Dissenters

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everton fans would know if they're bein priced out? still don't get this how much question..say they said it's for 50million then what? the fans would instantly know who could afford it and get in touch with them? how would the fans know who is bein priced out whatever the cost..only the people who can afford a football club know if they can and in that case i'm sure they would be told a figure of what to pay

What I mean when I say priced out is whether the board are asking too much from an investor and pricing Everton FC way higher than the market value. Im not for one minute suggesting that they are pricing out the fans from making a bid! AlthoughI have just been paid so I could chip in a couple of hundred! lol

The way Everton seem to do business, I wouldnt be surprised if a non-disclosure even regarding an enquiry would be required, which would mean investors who have approached wouldnt be allowed to release a statement like that.

I think your probably right. Price is key in something like this because whether we like it or not a business man that comes in will want to make money from it. If we are trying to sell at the market value or above then I doubt there would be any takers because the re-sale value wouldnt be too much different. It would need a lot of money to be spent to potentially see a profit and I very much doubt that is the type of investor we would want to attract.

i know what you meant man..think mine is poorly worded to be honest..what i'm sayin is..say bk says it is for 50million then what? do the fans who want this question answered have a shortlist of people who have so much money? do they want to cross off who cant afford the 50million? do they think football clubs go up for sale like used couches in the back of the paper? do they think millionaires read the paper and think 'oh everton would only cost 50million think i will buy them afterall'? anyone who is interested in the football club and who thinks they can afford it will get in touch..if the fans know the price or not it makes no difference it would just cause more issues..i bet people would either say bk is askin too much or if he said a reasonable price people would claim he was lying..knowing the price would make absolutely no difference and i'm yet to be convinced it would

i know what you meant man..think mine is poorly worded to be honest..what i'm sayin is..say bk says it is for 50million then what? do the fans who want this question answered have a shortlist of people who have so much money? do they want to cross off who cant afford the 50million? do they think football clubs go up for sale like used couches in the back of the paper? do they think millionaires read the paper and think 'oh everton would only cost 50million think i will buy them afterall'? anyone who is interested in the football club and who thinks they can afford it will get in touch..if the fans know the price or not it makes no difference it would just cause more issues..i bet people would either say bk is askin too much or if he said a reasonable price people would claim he was lying..knowing the price would make absolutely no difference and i'm yet to be convinced it would

You are probably right with that last bit.... My view would be that knowing the price was 'reasonable' would mean that it wasnt the only reason we arent being sold on. I personally believe they are probably holding out for too much considering the current situation as I would have thought that we would have been a very good proposition after the FA Cup final appearance. We had a good team, a good season and good cup run showing that on the field we were going somewhere.

Knowing the price of the club should make no difference really. If not privy to the inner workings of the clubs finances. What would it tell us, nothing I would suggest. The club is crying out for a new stadium - As an aside I was told Sheikh Mansour was toying with buying us or Man City, plumped for Man City as they had the stadium already and only needed investment in players.

What Im getting at is that anybody wanting to buy the club would need serious investment if they want to break into the top 4. The fair play rules will undermine investment given the relatively poor commercial deals we are involved in. Any potential owner will have to be in it for the long haul.

Bottom line - We are a fantastic club, with a great tradition and proud history. No bias at all but the best fans in the world.

Im not happy with the status quo but I would rather that than have our finances splashed all over the tabloids whether they are good or most likely piss poor

Has anyone actually set up any sort of account for fan donations? Might sound stupid but this is an easy way to try and generate funds for the club, a club that can do with anything they can get their hands on.

A few examples at varying levels.

30,000 people at £100 = £30 million

5000 people at £100 = £500,000

5000 people at £10 = £50,000

The likely hood is that you will get some donating £5, or £10 and some might put in a few k or even more.

For me, something far more supportive and productive for the football club than something like 'The Peoples Group'.

Something like this would create far more media attention for the club than any of these negative groups, it would be positive media attention for the club and also, if successful (on any level) it would show an investor the club has a loyal, supportive and unique fan base that would make the club seriously investable. If the club isn't investable as it stands (which is my opinion), the fans can make it investable to someone.

Just a thought.

I think it all comes down to trust, the fans know we are in a dire financial situation without even knowing what is hidden behind the expense lines "operating costs".

We all know that the club needs new ownership, the current shower have not invested a penny. They have sat there whilst the club has increased debt. missed out on opportunities, yet we are expected to accept the spin we are fed. The commercial deals we have are an improvement on what we had, but they are by no means worthy of any fanfare. The 4th most succesful club in English football is being run by amateurs with no vision.

The trust that they ask us to show in their 24/7 search has run out for many people. The silence from Moyes has been deafening.

The peoples group/KEIOC have announced that it is a big week for them, the plans have been kept secret as the club have been frantically trying to counter any efforts that they are making in trying to get exposure to the questions we want answering. Will be interesting to say the least...

Knowing the price of the club should make no difference really. If not privy to the inner workings of the clubs finances. What would it tell us, nothing I would suggest. The club is crying out for a new stadium - As an aside I was told Sheikh Mansour was toying with buying us or Man City, plumped for Man City as they had the stadium already and only needed investment in players.

What Im getting at is that anybody wanting to buy the club would need serious investment if they want to break into the top 4. The fair play rules will undermine investment given the relatively poor commercial deals we are involved in. Any potential owner will have to be in it for the long haul.

Bottom line - We are a fantastic club, with a great tradition and proud history. No bias at all but the best fans in the world.

Im not happy with the status quo but I would rather that than have our finances splashed all over the tabloids whether they are good or most likely piss poor

I agree with your comments entirely. However i don't believe the bit in bold. I don't believe he was interested in buying our club due to the fact several hundred million pounds would be needed for a new stadium, which would immediately rule us out. They would have been given a list of clubs that were available for purchase and they would have had a detailed account of the pro's and con's of each club. Most would have been rejected immediately based on size of fan base, brand name, investment needed off the pitch etc etc.

But you are right, Man City were for a few reasons, the main one being the brand spaning new stadium the council had delivered them.

When you asses Everton in it's current state as an investment, it's incredibly easy to see why we have not found a buyer.

Edited by pax

Has anyone actually set up any sort of account for fan donations? Might sound stupid but this is an easy way to try and generate funds for the club, a club that can do with anything they can get their hands on.

The likely hood is that you will get some donating £5, or £10 and some might put in a few k or even more.

For me, something far more supportive and productive for the football club than something like 'The Peoples Group'.

Something like this would create far more media attention for the club than any of these negative groups, it would be positive media attention for the club and also, if successful (on any level) it would show an investor the club has a loyal, supportive and unique fan base that would make the club seriously investable. If the club isn't investable as it stands (which is my opinion), the fans can make it investable to someone.

Just a thought.

See, i'd be more than happy to do this. Like you say, it'll have a far greater media presence than a rebel group of protestors (Unless they do something really silly to get their message across)

The trust that they ask us to show in their 24/7 search has run out for many people. The silence from Moyes has been deafening.

The peoples group/KEIOC have announced that it is a big week for them, the plans have been kept secret as the club have been frantically trying to counter any efforts that they are making in trying to get exposure to the questions we want answering. Will be interesting to say the least...

Moyes has said f.all this year and you're right, its been horrible.

In bold: If they're going to do something, i hope it's not stupid (like i mentioned above) and i hope if they make banners or statements, that they actually proof read what they're saying; otherwise they'll look even less legit.

I'm not for what the 'People's Group' stand for and i personally don't like to think that they are representing me, as an Everton fan because i feel their reasons for wanting this 'information' about the club won't benefit anyone bar their own curiosity

Edited by tenaciousj

My opinion, the only thing that would stop the sale of the club is either price or willingness of the board members to sell.

A new stadium is not neccesary as such, the ability to redevelop goodison is an option.

I would say that willingness of board members to sell is more likely than price, they likely want to retain a controlling interest with any takeover. Interestingly when you see news articles about the potential sale you often see the words "investment" rather than "takeover".

I would say that willingness of board members to sell is more likely than price, they likely want to retain a controlling interest with any takeover. Interestingly when you see news articles about the potential sale you often see the words "investment" rather than "takeover".

Clearly the asking price would give us the ability to form an opinion as to whether the board are being reasonable.

In 1999 the value of the club was £30m, based on Kenwright, Gregg and Wood buying the club for £20m. Based on the rumoured valuation of £120m+ that would be an increase of at least 300%...

In those 12 years, the club has increased it's debt and sold nearly all of it's assets. With 2 failed moves and no clear strategy other than asset utilization to fend off the banks, can they seriously be looking for such a return on their investment?

It all comes down to the question, what is the price - is it reasonable?

Clearly the asking price would give us the ability to form an opinion as to whether the board are being reasonable.

In 1999 the value of the club was £30m, based on Kenwright, Gregg and Wood buying the club for £20m. Based on the rumoured valuation of £120m+ that would be an increase of at least 300%...

In those 12 years, the club has increased it's debt and sold nearly all of it's assets. With 2 failed moves and no clear strategy other than asset utilization to fend off the banks, can they seriously be looking for such a return on their investment?

It all comes down to the question, what is the price - is it reasonable?

But dude, once you know, then what? What are you going to do when you find out the club is or isn't reasonably priced?

I really really don't see why they need to tell you or anyone else!? It's your own curiosity driving this, not on behalf of or as a benefit to the club.

It's like me asking a girl i've just met, how many people have she's slept with? The answer will have an affect on myself either in a positive or a negative way, but once i know, what can i do about it? It's in the past; if she was a slag in years gone by, i can't travel back in time and restore her hyman before placing her in a chastity belt. If she turns out in-experienced, would i be happy about that or not? I dunno, but knowing really shouldn't matter.

Her 'numbers' shouldn't affect me. Thats her choice, and thats her past.

Secondly, so what if they make a profit if/when they sell the club, they're business men (i'm sorry to break it to you).

Yeah they've fucked up a few times, but we can't do anything about it!? You've just got to get on with it. Back to my example, i find out that this girl's had an orgy (King's docks) a few years back. It sounded an amazing idea at the time but now it's happened and it wasn't what she expected, or came off like she wanted. She's not happy about it a few years down the line, nor proud of it! Things just 'happened' and the time was right but now's she's trying to forget and find someone to settle down with and move on.

I just really really can't see the benefits of fans knowing how much the club is up for, especially as it allows companies/consortiums to come forward and barter the price down...below what the club's worth. You want the best price for the club right? Or for it to be sold to someone else, who's of a similar financial disposition as Bill, and for then to actually take money out of the club??

Everton use what money comes in, we're developing Finch Farm, looking at funding this international school (which will provide steady funds for the future). The money from that alone will run Finch farm in its entirety (or so i beleive), which in turn will save money being spent there in future years....which if you're still following me, could be spent else where?

Edited by tenaciousj

I agree with your comments entirely. However i don't believe the bit in bold. I don't believe he was interested in buying our club due to the fact several hundred million pounds would be needed for a new stadium, which would immediately rule us out. They would have been given a list of clubs that were available for purchase and they would have had a detailed account of the pro's and con's of each club. Most would have been rejected immediately based on size of fan base, brand name, investment needed off the pitch etc etc.

But you are right, Man City were for a few reasons, the main one being the brand spaning new stadium the council had delivered them.

When you asses Everton in it's current state as an investment, it's incredibly easy to see why we have not found a buyer.

That is what put him off buying us (apparently/allegedly) as it wouldn't just be players he would have to fork out for, and as such was why he went for City. He was looking for a club with history and pedigree which we certainly have but as you rightly point out, how commercially viable are we at present.

Mansour has invested what £400-500 million thus far? How much does a new state of the art stadium cost these days? Im guessing you could add another £100mill+

All of this amounts to us being an unattractive proposition to any potential buyers and there just arent lots of Mansours out there looking to invest. Invest is the wrong word to an extent as invest would suggest you are seeking a return and there are no returns in football these days given the wages, transfer and agents fees.

I would rather be where we are and accept mediocrity than massively over leveraged and staring into the financial abyss. Football cannot continue in its current format forever, the vast majority of football clubs (not us though) are technically insolvent.

To harp back to Mansour, what happens of he pulls out tomorrow and lets the club go for £1? They dont have the commecial activity to cover half their wage bill and would be in administration before the end of the season, relegation, asset fire sale and a long way back to the big time - look at Leeds

That is what put him off buying us (apparently/allegedly) as it wouldn't just be players he would have to fork out for, and as such was why he went for City. He was looking for a club with history and pedigree which we certainly have but as you rightly point out, how commercially viable are we at present.

Mansour has invested what £400-500 million thus far? How much does a new state of the art stadium cost these days? Im guessing you could add another £100mill+

All of this amounts to us being an unattractive proposition to any potential buyers and there just arent lots of Mansours out there looking to invest. Invest is the wrong word to an extent as invest would suggest you are seeking a return and there are no returns in football these days given the wages, transfer and agents fees.

I would rather be where we are and accept mediocrity than massively over leveraged and staring into the financial abyss. Football cannot continue in its current format forever, the vast majority of football clubs (not us though) are technically insolvent.

To harp back to Mansour, what happens of he pulls out tomorrow and lets the club go for £1? They dont have the commecial activity to cover half their wage bill and would be in administration before the end of the season, relegation, asset fire sale and a long way back to the big time - look at Leeds

You and i seem to think along the same lines. When a club is solely reliant upon one man's pocket, that club is in danger. Chelsea and Man City are both where they are today because of their owners pocket. Chelsea have built revenue streams but nowhere near the level needed to break even and continue the project in it's current form. Man City will soon realise that the Sheik will have to write off a huge amount of money before they suddenly become a break even project, and that's including the new stadium sponsor deal (which is completely unique and i'm betting if you looked into the fine print of the finances, all its not what it seems). If The Russian and the Sheik pulled out of these two clubs and stopped funding them, they would either need to find new owners with similar bank account and willingness to pour money down the drain (so to speak) or they will go bust and fall down the leagues.

Man Utd and Arsenal are not in this category. They are extremely well run and create the money they spend. I would personally prefer to support Arsenal, have not won anything for a while and have the club as solid as it is, then be a Chelsea / Man City club where one man defines your club and operate under the risks that brings.

Everton need to look at Arsenal and Man Utd as a blueprint of how to operate and absolutely reject the Chelsea / Man City strategies.

New Stadium, well Munich's new stadium was;

The cost of the construction itself ran to €286 million but financing costs raised that figure to a total of €340 million. In addition, the city and State incurred approximately €210 million for area development and infrastructure improvements.

The Emirates (which i went to for the first time on Sat and it's fantastic) cost £470 million

So you have to say a new stadium for Everton is a minimum of £300 million (with land costs and material costs in this country), that's a lot of money.

As far as i am concerned, Goodison Park cannot be re-developed. It's ludicrous to even suggest this as an option. It sadden's me to say that.

You and i seem to think along the same lines. When a club is solely reliant upon one man's pocket, that club is in danger. Chelsea and Man City are both where they are today because of their owners pocket. Chelsea have built revenue streams but nowhere near the level needed to break even and continue the project in it's current form. Man City will soon realise that the Sheik will have to write off a huge amount of money before they suddenly become a break even project, and that's including the new stadium sponsor deal (which is completely unique and i'm betting if you looked into the fine print of the finances, all its not what it seems). If The Russian and the Sheik pulled out of these two clubs and stopped funding them, they would either need to find new owners with similar bank account and willingness to pour money down the drain (so to speak) or they will go bust and fall down the leagues.

Man Utd and Arsenal are not in this category. They are extremely well run and create the money they spend. I would personally prefer to support Arsenal, have not won anything for a while and have the club as solid as it is, then be a Chelsea / Man City club where one man defines your club and operate under the risks that brings.

Everton need to look at Arsenal and Man Utd as a blueprint of how to operate and absolutely reject the Chelsea / Man City strategies.

The cost of the construction itself ran to €286 million but financing costs raised that figure to a total of €340 million. In addition, the city and State incurred approximately €210 million for area development and infrastructure improvements.

The Emirates (which i went to for the first time on Sat and it's fantastic) cost £470 million

So you have to say a new stadium for Everton is a minimum of £300 million (with land costs and material costs in this country), that's a lot of money.

As far as i am concerned, Goodison Park cannot be re-developed. It's ludicrous to even suggest this as an option. It sadden's me to say that.

No chance Everton can follow Man U's model, they would have went into administration if it weren't for some creative book balancing, and also the issue of bonds to their huge fan base.

No chance Everton can follow Man U's model, they would have went into administration if it weren't for some creative book balancing, and also the issue of bonds to their huge fan base.

Here was me thinking it was their ultra successful commercial activity that created numerous significant revenue streams, branding, marketing prior to and during the creation of the premier league that made them one of the richest clubs in the world.

Here was me thinking it was their ultra successful commercial activity that created numerous significant revenue streams, branding, marketing prior to and during the creation of the premier league that made them one of the richest clubs in the world.

And you think this board could do for that Everton? Because I have zero faith in that being the case.

I think Man U are in a sticky situation, the majority of their operating profit goes in paying down interest on the loans Glazer took out to purchase the club. Unlikely as it may seem if they were to miss out on Champions League it could expose it for the house of cards I reckon it is. Arsenal are a different kettle of fish, and are a well run club, the money is there for Wenger but he wont spend it due to his obsession with creating a team of greats from kids - or at least thats what my gooner mates say.

Chelsea inch closer to being a going concern, whilst Abramovich has poured vast amounts into the club he has also brought in the right people to manage the commercial side of the business and increase revenue streams, despite the rumours of his dodgy deals and palm greasing he undoubtedly has business savvy. Man City are however a basket case and the new sponsorship deal needs the fine tooth comb treatment

I take your figures for Stadiums on trust (I have no reason to dispute them and they seem perfectly plausible) which merely adds weight to our theory about our commercial viability. Like you I also believe there is little value or even possibility of redeveloping Goodison, times move on and sadly to prosper we will have to look at other places.

Just a thought.

While I like the idea and have thought about it myself HOWEVER it would have to fenced off for transfer activity (or something along them lines) only because otherwise all it would do is go into paying off interest. Im a proud supporter of this club but you can get fucked if you think I would be paying to service the debt they put us in, especially considering they havent put any money into it themselves!

I take your figures for Stadiums on trust (I have no reason to dispute them and they seem perfectly plausible) which merely adds weight to our theory about our commercial viability. Like you I also believe there is little value or even possibility of redeveloping Goodison, times move on and sadly to prosper we will have to look at other places.

Whilst I agree that we will eventually need a new stadium, it isnt realistically goin to happen in the next 5 years, and the likelihood is that it will be close to 10years before we could move in if the ball started rolling today. We cant afford to stand still for another 10 years, and we have to start thinking of developing what we have now incase in never happens. Put it this way, if you ran a restaurant that had the potential to expand and the kitchen was old, out dated and needed replacement, you wouldnt go out and try and find a plot of land to build a new restaurant unless you had the finances to do it. Instead you would gut it out, maybe extend if possible and focus on the design to increase capacity and improve efficiency. If this was Everton we would still be rubbing sticks together for fire...

My opinion, the only thing that would stop the sale of the club is either price or willingness of the board members to sell.

A new stadium is not neccesary as such, the ability to redevelop goodison is an option.

I think you have your head firmly stuck in the sand if you honestly beleive that.

The longer we remain at Goodison the further we will fall behind the big boys.

Just a thought.

I think that would definitely be a great idea and I would happily put money in.

If Robert Elstone had said to me that he was going to charge me an extra £100 for my season ticket but promised we would spend £30M on players I would have been more than happy to hand over the dosh

If Robert Elstone had said to me that he was going to charge me an extra £100 for my season ticket but promised we would spend £30M on players I would have been more than happy to hand over the dosh

We'd need to sell 300,000 season tickets

Edited by pete0