IGNORED

Elstone Blog In Reply To Dissenters

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What isnt right about a statement that details questions they want answers to? Asking questions can't be wrong.

The majority of questions have already been answered though-aside the valuation of the club for obvious reasons. Their like that annoying kid who keeps asking 'but, why?' when they have already been told the answer.

Money-players wages and debt

New ground-corrupt government

What else do people really have to know?

Club PR officer Ian Ross told everyone on Talksport that 85p in every £1 goes to Finch Farm, whilst CEO Robert Elstone released a statement which stated that he said that he and Kenwright would not talk to fans who wanted their jobs.

85p in every £1 going to Finch Farm is good news. Elstone is absolutely spot on

We support the team 100%. That can never be in question. It is improving on this team and squad that is the issue here.

Is this the same group that have a Facebook page where 'supporters' openly state they want season ticket refunds, or boycotting away/home games :rolleyes:

If the Club is for sale and you are desperate for a billionaire etc… tell us what you want for the Club? There can be no excuses if you really want to sell something so badly for not letting fans know the price. Surely letting us know what you want will open the door to a wider audience. Or is the Club’s asking price too much? Kenwright himself has told us that interested parties tick all the boxes, so he clearly feels there has been ‘the right buyer’. Therefore it is a money issue.

What possible good would it do to tell the supporters how much the club is for sale for? Is a supporter of our club getting his piggy bank ready to make a high level takeover? If someone wants to buy the club they enquire about it and they get told a price by the owners, which is their right. If someone who wants to buy the club feels Everton is too expensive and the board are taking the piss he/she/they will do the very hard task of picking up the phone to the Echo and telling them. This will be headline news, build pressure for Kenwright and support for the possible new owner and there is no possible way the board could remain in control. I wonder why this hasn't happened? Oh and i believe Kenwright actually said 'i thought we had a buyer, they ticked all the right box's and when i came time to provide the funds, nothing happened. So the Peoples Group want an owner who can't provide basic funds to buy the club let alone funds to develop a long term strategy?

What are Robert Earl, Jon Woods and Philip Carter’s input to the Everton board? Earl and Philip Green’s relationship and the BCR Sports Group registered to the British Virgin Islands in particular needs some serious looking into. After all, Earl has no intentions of investing in Everton Football Club, so why is he there?

I think these are fair questions. Injection of energy, innovative thinking, creative marketing and a fresh approach is needed at board level.

Tell us how you plan to increase revenue streams, and tell us why should a board who in 11 years, having twice failed to deliver a new stadium, having NEVER found investment (despite the admittance of several interested parties) be allowed to continue. Anyone else who fails in their jobs like this would have been sacked or resigned by now. Convince us how you aim to take us forward. It’s not just about this season, it is about the future too.

The board should never release specific information about how they plan to increase revenues. This would have an adverse effect on the club. However i do think some information about our strategy moving forward is needed. The Kirkby stadium was only not delivered due to fan protest. You can't claim they failed to deliver a new stadium here regardless of your opinions on Kirkby being right or wrong. No one knows why certain things have failed, maybe past failings do need to be explained.

With regards to the interested parties, tell us who they were. Tell us why they got to the last stages and all “disappeared” (Kenwright’s words, not ours). Tell us how all the money goes to Finch Farm but in the accounts £23m out of an £80m turnover, is classed as ‘other operating costs’.

Seemed to have asked the same question three times in 4 apparently different questions here. :rolleyes: I've answered it in my first reply. 'Other Operating Costs' is absolutely no ones business than the clubs. The club should not have to openly explain our accounts to anyone. There are all sorts of tax and legal considerations to take and asking for an explanation on this is beyond stupid.

if the banks will not lend to us anymore, how do you intend to support the manager not just now, but next year and the year after? How do you intend to pay the banks back, with all our assets having already been sold?

We are a club who needs to sell to buy and develop our own players. Both of which we have been very good at.

If you are serious about selling, and you have had no ‘luck’ so far, why not step down and put an interim board in place with the aim of selling the club. Martin Broughton anyone?

An interim board would be an utter waste of time. Like it or not Liverpool are one of the most famous clubs in the world with the ability to create significant revenue streams in many global markets. In fact they have so much potential, they hasn't been realised that it wasn't difficult for them to find an interested buyer. Everton do not have this ability to create revenue. We have to build them and that costs huge sums of money. I do however agree than Everton FC need new people involved with a fresh approach and fresh contacts.

If 85p in every £1 goes to Finch Farm, and every penny is “re-invested in the club”, where is the Bellefield money? The Steven Pienaar money? The James Vaughan money? Not to mention the loan fees we received for Joseph Yobo, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Vaughan.

Finch Farm, operating costs and servicing debt to make sure this club doesn't go bust maybe? :rolleyes:

What has happened to the farce that is the Park End project? There has been a gaping gap in the wall all Summer, despite the club offering two different excuses as to why no ‘Everton Place’ has been delivered. It is embarrassing.

The club should explain themselves here, no question.

Edited by pax

http://peoplesgroup....roup-statement/

Well drafted statement...

it is, makes it clear where they stand and what they want.

In my opinion though, I still dont believe they have the right to sensitive business information. If they want to know the price - find the investment, make a bid and help that way rather than perusing another embarrassing witch-hunt. Why do fans, who in the end will not run the club deserve to know the price? Its purely to satisfy a curiosity which is no grounds to demand inside business information.

Also, terms like "convince us" or saying "therefore its a money issue" irritate me. Convince us?! Who the hell do they think they are, the lords of football!? Do I want to know more information, sure. Do I think I have the right to it, no. Why? Because I dont. "Therefore its a money issue"? As if thats the only possibility. Maybe the investors backed out because their finances fell apart. Maybe the investors thought "hang on, football is a dangerous business, Im changing my mind" and so on. Small minded assumption...

Interested parties im sure will have signed an anonymity / privacy agreement as Everton have always played cards close to their chests. It protects the club and potential investors when things collapse.

23m now for other operating costs? Wasnt it 30m last week? (ive lost track here, im honestly not sure).

I would give them more credit if they could point out Bill and the boards achievements too and try and make a balanced argument, but noone wants to seem to do that in the same group. Theres no mention of breaking transfer records 3 years in a row, no mention of building the team we have (Moyes mightve picked the players but the board and Bill organized the acquisitions), no mention of record breaking sponsorships, no mention of brilliant barging skills in some of our player sales, no mention of bringing Moyes - who they completely support - to the helm.

Mind you why would they, that takes some of the wood away from the stake....

In my opinion though, I still dont believe they have the right to sensitive business information. If they want to know the price - find the investment, make a bid and help that way rather than perusing another embarrassing witch-hunt. Why do fans, who in the end will not run the club deserve to know the price? Its purely to satisfy a curiosity which is no grounds to demand inside business information.

Also, terms like "convince us" or saying "therefore its a money issue" irritate me. Convince us?! Who the hell do they think they are, the lords of football!? Do I want to know more information, sure. Do I think I have the right to it, no. Why? Because I dont. "Therefore its a money issue"? As if thats the only possibility. Maybe the investors backed out because their finances fell apart. Maybe the investors thought "hang on, football is a dangerous business, Im changing my mind" and so on. Small minded assumption...

Interested parties im sure will have signed an anonymity / privacy agreement as Everton have always played cards close to their chests. It protects the club and potential investors when things collapse.

23m now for other operating costs? Wasnt it 30m last week? (ive lost track here, im honestly not sure).

I would give them more credit if they could point out Bill and the boards achievements too and try and make a balanced argument, but noone wants to seem to do that in the same group. Theres no mention of breaking transfer records 3 years in a row, no mention of building the team we have (Moyes mightve picked the players but the board and Bill organized the acquisitions), no mention of record breaking sponsorships, no mention of brilliant barging skills in some of our player sales, no mention of bringing Moyes - who they completely support - to the helm.

Nice post Matt.

thing is, how do you know that there is not a fan out there that has the money or has access to contacts who can raise that money, thats why the fans DO deserve to know what the club asking price is, BK and his cronies have had 12 years to do this and failed miserably at it, so they need to start thinking outside the box a bit now

all this stuff about money going to service debt, well thats debt that they have put the club into, because they have not got the resources to run the club in the first place

and Pax, you point out something called "other operating costs" well that is one of the most important things imo, like you say it could be tax or legal, or even backhanders the way football is these days,

and Matt, you mention their achievements? do me a fucking favour please god, building a team lol, we have a good team, but thats it, its good, and its threadbare, and you want to praise them for bringing Moyes in lol? BK wanted to bring Megson in, it was Smith who told him about Moyes and convinced him it was the way to go, they can't take any credit for Moyes, and whilst we might have better sponsorship deals compared to the past, they are lame deals compared to the teams around us.

this is the last thing im posting about all this, so if people want to respond, you are not going to get one back, im fed up now, and im going to go watch Brighton next season(they are my local team) i wish Everton well next season, but until there is massive changes at the club(that does not mean the leaving of BK) we are on a slippery slope to nowhere.

cheers guys

I think the crux of it all is whether you believe we have the right to know such information. Now i'm taking a balanced view here. 9 times out of 10, such a question would receive a big 'no chance' off me.

However, enough is enough. Everton FC is not Woolworths. There is a massive emotional difference between supporting a club you can see struggling versus a shop going down the pan that you bought pick and mix from when you were a kid. Would Joe Bloggs in the street really be bothered as to why Woolworths have an unaccounted expense line called operating costs which has ballooned beyond comprehension? Nope.

Take a football fan who has seen their club they have followed sell off all assets, take out loan after loan and increase their debt with no alternative way to survive other than to sell their best players and they are going to want to know what this "operating costs" actually is. If these questions were being asked 2 years into their tenure I would agree, back off, let them show us what they can do. 11 years down the line, with big failures (mentioned) does not allow you that luxury in my book.

For the club to ignore these burning questions, only to start championing their improved "success" in sponsorship deals and kit deals is weak. Relative to our rivals these deals are poor, compare us to Aston Villa and Spurs and you will see exactly why. £30m kit deal over 10 years with inflation the way it's going is nothing to celebrate.

Find the "Why can't we borrow money and how are we going to pay back what we owe?" question a bit contradictory :mellow: .

Didn't Louis say we've paid off three mortgages recently btw....or did I imagine that? (Edit:Checked and it was two "charges" settled whatever that means)

The only question I'd really like an answer to is the last one.

I think the crux of it all is whether you believe we have the right to know such information. Now i'm taking a balanced view here. 9 times out of 10, such a question would receive a big 'no chance' off me.

However, enough is enough. Everton FC is not Woolworths. There is a massive emotional difference between supporting a club you can see struggling versus a shop going down the pan that you bought pick and mix from when you were a kid. Would Joe Bloggs in the street really be bothered as to why Woolworths have an unaccounted expense line called operating costs which has ballooned beyond comprehension? Nope.

Take a football fan who has seen their club they have followed sell off all assets, take out loan after loan and increase their debt with no alternative way to survive other than to sell their best players and they are going to want to know what this "operating costs" actually is. If these questions were being asked 2 years into their tenure I would agree, back off, let them show us what they can do. 11 years down the line, with big failures (mentioned) does not allow you that luxury in my book.

For the club to ignore these burning questions, only to start championing their improved "success" in sponsorship deals and kit deals is weak. Relative to our rivals these deals are poor, compare us to Aston Villa and Spurs and you will see exactly why. £30m kit deal over 10 years with inflation the way it's going is nothing to celebrate.

which is exactly my point. Because people have a vested personal, emotional investment they think theyre entitled to information theyre not. Im not saying its not frustrating but Everton, like Woolies etc is a business. Just because were emotionally attached means bugger all in a business sense and most of the questions are business related. The kit deals arent fantastic in comparison with some others but its better than a lot of others I imagine.

Prisoner, whoever tipped Moyes to the board is irrelevant - who offered him a contract and got him on board? Who has kept him here? Dont start the "hes one of the highest paid managers...." crap again. Truth is he would leave because he wants to win, hes not just lining his pockets. He is staying because he thinks he can do it with this team and this board.

which is exactly my point. Because people have a vested personal, emotional investment they think theyre entitled to information theyre not. Im not saying its not frustrating but Everton, like Woolies etc is a business. Just because were emotionally attached means bugger all in a business sense and most of the questions are business related. The kit deals arent fantastic in comparison with some others but its better than a lot of others I imagine.

Prisoner, whoever tipped Moyes to the board is irrelevant - who offered him a contract and got him on board? Who has kept him here? Dont start the "hes one of the highest paid managers...." crap again. Truth is he would leave because he wants to win, hes not just lining his pockets. He is staying because he thinks he can do it with this team and this board.

That is exactly where I disagree though (we may be getting somewhere here) :unsure:

Do fans who spend a great deal of cash following their club - similar to those paying fans of Liverpool, Man City etc have a right to know as to why we have massive operating costs?

The same very fans some of whom have shares in the club are not allowed to attend an AGM to ask these questions? In my opinion absolutely.

There are 38,000 fans who put on average £30-£50 into the club on each match day. The same very fans have a right to ask questions regarding the grey areas of the clubs finances - let's face it, it has been made clear that the board have not put a single penny of their money in apart from the shares they acquired. This makes these very fans have more of a right if anything. Should they chose to boycott attendance, you would see a very different dynamic - the business would not run, it would fail. Therefore yes, I believe we are entitled to ask the glaring questions.

That is exactly where I disagree though (we may be getting somewhere here) :unsure:

Do fans who spend a great deal of cash following their club - similar to those paying fans of Liverpool, Man City etc have a right to know as to why we have massive operating costs?

The same very fans some of whom have shares in the club are not allowed to attend an AGM to ask these questions? In my opinion absolutely.

There are 38,000 fans who put on average £30-£50 into the club on each match day. The same very fans have a right to ask questions regarding the grey areas of the clubs finances - let's face it, it has been made clear that the board have not put a single penny of their money in apart from the shares they acquired. This makes these very fans have more of a right if anything. Should they chose to boycott attendance, you would see a very different dynamic - the business would not run, it would fail. Therefore yes, I believe we are entitled to ask the glaring questions.

I see where you are coming from, but, if you walk in to Sainsburys and buy your weekly shopping for £100 - do you think you are then entitled to go to customer services and ask to see their operating costs in detail? No one at Everton is making supporters hand over £30-£50 each match day, supporters choose to do so. The fact no board member invests is annoying, very annoying considering some of the wealth there, but I don't see how that elevates our rights to see the business figures in deeper detail? I would love to be let loose on the books but unless I show evidence of having finances for a takeover I will never get near them - only wish I had that £160m Euromillions win...

As a shareholder I believe I do have the right to know what they value the club at, I also believe I have the right to question the other costs that have massively increased.

That is all I have to say, too much arguing. This isn't new ground for TT

Shareholders should be entitled to some additional information but at the end of the day, the board should be the ones to divulge the information they want to share as they are the majority shareholders. If I went and bought 1 share in Everton, does that make entitled to every last detail? No. Would I want it to, of course but businesses dont run like that. Just like all sustainable businesses buy and sell for profit...

I see where you are coming from, but, if you walk in to Sainsburys and buy your weekly shopping for £100 - do you think you are then entitled to go to customer services and ask to see their operating costs in detail? No one at Everton is making supporters hand over £30-£50 each match day, supporters choose to do so. The fact no board member invests is annoying, very annoying considering some of the wealth there, but I don't see how that elevates our rights to see the business figures in deeper detail? I would love to be let loose on the books but unless I show evidence of having finances for a takeover I will never get near them - only wish I had that £160m Euromillions win...

Exactly my stance.

...only wish I had that £160m Euromillions win...

Can you imagine the phone call you could put in to Ian Ross?

"Hi Ian, listen mate I've just come into £160m and I'd like to pay off the club's debt and give Davey £50m for players...have a word with Bill and come back to me with a figure OK? Cheque alright?" :P

As a shareholder I believe I do have the right to know what they value the club at, I also believe I have the right to question the other costs that have massively increased.

That is all I have to say, too much arguing. This isn't new ground for TT

I personally think a shareholder should hold a minimum of x% of shares before being privy to confidential and sensitive financial information. Making this kind of information to someone who has bought 1 share or 20 shares is asking for trouble as far as i am concerned !

I think the operating costs does need some sort of explanation, maybe not to me and you as a fan, but to the other shareholders. In fact in all honesty it should be made perfectly clear in the clubs accounts exactly what is happening with this money. I dont think that for oen second the board have lined their pockets with it, but its a sizeable sum that should be detailed in the accounts. If it is all to go on FF costs, legal crap etc, then why not say that in the accounts? Creative accounting is always a bit suspect imo.

I dont really like that reply from the People's Group in general... Yes we should know in some more detail about the OC mentioned above, and I think we should know some of the board members roles behind the scenes. W/regards to the how much question, I can see reasons for and reasons against. I do think that we should be given a ballpark figure or we should know whether it is a realistic figure (maybe through an independent third party), because all the fans want to know is whether buyers are being priced out. It wouldnt surprise me if they are to some extent but that is just my opinion and there isnt any fact to back it up. I would however bet that if you said 'ok Everton is on the market for £50mil' then you would get some immediate interest, but again its speculation and the fact I am a betting man!

Lets be honest, anyone running a business of this size should have medium and long term plans for the club, and that is probably what bugs me the most. I see no strategy, no direction, up until Elstone has come in, I didnt really see anyone trying and in my opinion we are only do the basic amount we should be. We cant and shouldnt pin all our hopes on an 'investor' coming aboard or a major partner helping us build a stadium. The club need to come up with other and more efficient ways of generating revenue streams, and I suspect a lot of them are or have been paid handomsly for doing so. First thing I would do is get a quote for a new park end and at least get someone to throw in some cash to sponsor that end, probably wouldnt get you much, but it would be a start! If we had toured the USA better commercially plugging as much as we could with Howard and also getting a game against LA Galaxy to push the Donovon link then Im sure some Yankie Doodle firm would have been willing to put some cash down on the table. Either that or we can pass a bucket round against Spurs!

everton fans would know if they're bein priced out? still don't get this how much question..say they said it's for 50million then what? the fans would instantly know who could afford it and get in touch with them? how would the fans know who is bein priced out whatever the cost..only the people who can afford a football club know if they can and in that case i'm sure they would be told a figure of what to pay

Most other clubs have stated prices when wanting to sell up. The skunks and the shite for two examples, thou only one got the take over and re other was criticised in the media for being too expensive and have not been took over.

Just a point.

didn't the shite have a solid buyer pretty much there already though so the price had to be said really or he'd just tell the media and they'd rip them to shreds...maybe i'm wrong i'm not sure on that one so won't make a big deal of that..as for the skunks i haven't a scooby who they are sorry!

everton fans would know if they're bein priced out? still don't get this how much question..say they said it's for 50million then what? the fans would instantly know who could afford it and get in touch with them? how would the fans know who is bein priced out whatever the cost..only the people who can afford a football club know if they can and in that case i'm sure they would be told a figure of what to pay

bingo!

Exactly, and, as i have said many many times, if someone really wanted to buy Everton and Kenwright/TheBoard were asking silly money for the club and stopping it's development with greed, the potential buyer simply releases a statement to the media along the lines of;

'We were very interested in buying Everton and approached it's owner with a view to a purchase. Unfortunately the price being asked for the club does not represent the value we place on the club, which is frustrating and unfortunate. We believe we have a great long term strategy for the club with careful placed investment, we'd have been able to immediately clear the clubs debts, hand the manager funds for new players and the problem of the stadium and extending commercial activities would have been addressed as a priority. We believe we have offered the owners of Everton a fair price for the club and we believe we would have offered the supporters of Everton the strategic investment they crave.'

Does anyone on this forum think that it would be;

a) In anyway difficult for a potential investor to release a statement like this?

b ) Kenwright and the Board could hold onto power if something like this was released.

Edited by pax

Exactly, and, as i have said many many times, if someone really wanted to buy Everton and Kenwright/TheBoard were asking silly money for the club and stopping it's development with greed, the potential buyer simply releases a statement to the media along the lines of;

'We were very interested in buying Everton and approached it's owner with a view to a purchase. Unfortunately the price being asked for the club does not represent the value we place on the club, which is frustrating and unfortunate. We believe we have a great long term strategy for the club with careful placed investment, we'd have been able to immediately clear the clubs debts, hand the manager funds for new players and the problem of the stadium and extending commercial activities would have been addressed as a priority. We believe we have offered the owners of Everton a fair price for the club and we believe we would have offered the supporters of Everton the strategic investment they crave.'

Does anyone on this forum think that it would be;

a) In anyway difficult for a potential investor to release a statement like this?

b ) Kenwright and the Board could hold onto power if something like this was released.

The way Everton seem to do business, I wouldnt be surprised if a non-disclosure even regarding an enquiry would be required, which would mean investors who have approached wouldnt be allowed to release a statement like that.

The way Everton seem to do business, I wouldnt be surprised if a non-disclosure even regarding an enquiry would be required, which would mean investors who have approached wouldnt be allowed to release a statement like that.

I highly doubt it. They might be required to sign a non-disclosure about specific finances, including the offer that was made, the amount the club are asking and any information about the clubs finance, but there is very little chance they would get these kind of people to sign a non-disclosure denying them the right to release their interest, the fact they made an offer and their feelings.

That type of non-disclosure isn't even evident in the biggest takeovers of global business's and brands.