IGNORED

Elstone Blog In Reply To Dissenters

Maybe we do have a better side now but since our CL qualification our investment has been outstripped by Spurs and Man City, both of which have qualified for the CL since us.

Players are the only route to success though, you dont get champions league because you have shiny new stadium.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we do have a better side now but since our CL qualification our investment has been outstripped by Spurs and Man City, both of which have qualified for the CL since us.

Players are the only route to success though, you dont get champions league because you have shiny new stadium.

Lol that might not be strictly true, I dont think it was the likes of Paul Dickov, Darius Vassell and Did Hamann that attracted the Arabs to Man City Im pretty sure it was more likely to be their shiny new stadium

Lol that might not be strictly true, I dont think it was the likes of Paul Dickov, Darius Vassell and Did Hamann that attracted the Arabs to Man City Im pretty sure it was more likely to be their shiny new stadium

Something tells me they would have quite liked a world class stadium overlooking the Mersey where the echo arena is now. Hey ho.

Something tells me they would have quite liked a world class stadium overlooking the Mersey where the echo arena is now. Hey ho.

I still remember watching the virtual tour with a few people in an internet cafe and getting all excited, would have been a great stadium much better than that 'cloud'.

If we we're to ground share and people opposed to having it on Stanley Park, the docks would be great for the image of the city.

This is true, I wrote as much a few pages back. However building a stadium we can ill afford in the hope it attracts a rich Arab investor is not the answer to our problems.

My point is that if we invested in players rather than a stadium it could push into the CL spots in the league and generate additional revenue streams. To my mind the other way around is putting the cart before the horse.

This is true, I wrote as much a few pages back. However building a stadium we can ill afford in the hope it attracts a rich Arab investor is not the answer to our problems.

My point is that if we invested in players rather than a stadium it could push into the CL spots in the league and generate additional revenue streams. To my mind the other way around is putting the cart before the horse.

I'm not so sure. Man City were nowhere near Champions League football. We also need to remember that they don't not own their stadium, they rent it. It totally depends on the deal that could potentially be struck for the new stadium.

A 60,000 seater stadium, shared by two clubs, with a clever design that includes a roof that can be closed to form a 20,000 capacity indoor arena for concerts, show etc would probably be the best option for both clubs and the city. This is a guess as clearly i have not worked through the costs.

I thought the Sheikh bought the ground shortly after taking over and some of the surrounding land too?

I may have dreamt that though!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-13460989

'The ground is owned by Manchester City Council, not the football club. A Manchester Council spokesman declined to comment on whether the council would get a share of the naming rights deal.'

This is interesting. Dodgy council back handers all round?

Edited by pete0

But how many years and how much money did it need to get both of them team into the CL. Spurs have probably gone through 50 players and almost as many managers to get there and Man City/Chelsea have spent hundreds of millions, and in reality is less than what it could cost for a new stadium! The risk of it all going tits up and us doing a Leeds/Pompey are far far greater focusing on a player led improvement whereas building additional revenue streams through the ground would help secure the clubs future (albeit little by little).

But how many years and how much money did it need to get both of them team into the CL. Spurs have probably gone through 50 players and almost as many managers to get there and Man City/Chelsea have spent hundreds of millions, and in reality is less than what it could cost for a new stadium! The risk of it all going tits up and us doing a Leeds/Pompey are far far greater focusing on a player led improvement whereas building additional revenue streams through the ground would help secure the clubs future (albeit little by little).

We are a fundamentally better side than those though. Our squad now is essentially not that different from the one that qualified for CL.We have stability and arguably the best manager in the league, a camaraderie and spirit that cant be bought. If we want CL we need a proven goalscorer and a natural left winger/midfielder. If Moyes had a 50-60million transfer budget I would back him to break into the top 4 within 2 seasons.

If only we had a big stadium and loads of Corp seats we would be fine.

Oh wait a min, we don't often sell all our non restricted seats and we certainly don't sell out current Corp seats.

A stadium will get more people in for the first few seasons but it would die down after a while unless we had the team improve to keep people there.

We need both at the same time for it all to work, or just start with the team and build up the stadium slowly. That's how united did it.

Saw this on GOT -

Our client has highlighted Player/Match Action Images, Club Crests and Fixtures among the posts and as member’s avatar’s in your forum http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum

I understand that due to the huge number of posts the tracking and removing of infringing images would prove difficult and very time consuming to perform.

A suggestion I have made with other football forums, is that when you do come across new images please take steps to remove them, but I would be grateful if you could routinely post a message to members warning them of the issues in question.

In other words you can't use the Everton crest as your avatar??????????????????????

On an Everton forum????????????????????????

This is where Everton really falls down I feel, they don't endear themselves to the fans at all.

What next? Ask fans to get the Everton crest lasered off the skin of those people who have it as a tattoo?

I've got to admit this one pretty much takes the piss and you're right Mark, where does it stop?

I realise they're still pissed when that street seller bought the rights to 'The People's Club', but fuckin hell boys, its forums for the club and they're being stopped from using the most recognisable 'Everton' based image; the crest.

Wow. Just wow.

Edited by tenaciousj

We are a fundamentally better side than those though. Our squad now is essentially not that different from the one that qualified for CL.We have stability and arguably the best manager in the league, a camaraderie and spirit that cant be bought. If we want CL we need a proven goalscorer and a natural left winger/midfielder. If Moyes had a 50-60million transfer budget I would back him to break into the top 4 within 2 seasons.

Player for player we are a much better team than we were, which isnt meant to disrespect the team that got us to 4th. I would definitely disagree with the 'best manager' title but thats for another thread! We bought a proven goal scorer in Yakubu and did we get CL? No we didnt... I understand what your saying but it isnt that simple... although arguably neither is my stadium first plan!

If only we had a big stadium and loads of Corp seats we would be fine.

Oh wait a min, we don't often sell all our non restricted seats and we certainly don't sell out current Corp seats.

A stadium will get more people in for the first few seasons but it would die down after a while unless we had the team improve to keep people there.

We need both at the same time for it all to work, or just start with the team and build up the stadium slowly. That's how united did it.

Problem is our current corporate seats and 'package' arent really up to much. You cant expect people to buy into a product which includes a tent in the carpark! lol

I do agree with you though it does have to be tit for tat, but what I would argue is that relying on players is a risky proposition when you dont have the money to afford their wages.

I would argue Yak wasnt a proven goalscorer or at least not over a prolonged period of time. He was a player at the right price that could masquerade as a "big signing". Maybe, and I cant remember, we were more injury free in our CL season that meant cracks didnt need to be papered over. If we could turn out our best side every week we could win the league as on our day we can beat anyone - the way we finished last season is testament to that

I said arguably best manager but if you think that is open to debate then you must be seeing another financially hamstrung manager who consistently gets the most from his sub standard resources, but you are right another thread

I would argue Yak wasnt a proven goalscorer or at least not over a prolonged period of time. He was a player at the right price that could masquerade as a "big signing". Maybe, and I cant remember, we were more injury free in our CL season that meant cracks didnt need to be papered over. If we could turn out our best side every week we could win the league as on our day we can beat anyone - the way we finished last season is testament to that

I said arguably best manager but if you think that is open to debate then you must be seeing another financially hamstrung manager who consistently gets the most from his sub standard resources, but you are right another thread

Lack of money does not make the manager use players in wrong positions or play safe and not have the balls to change personnel at critical times, or pick players to win games,....... blah blah blah.......

I would argue Yak wasnt a proven goalscorer or at least not over a prolonged period of time.

im glad you're joking :lol: unless you have genuinely forgotten that over a four year period only a certain Henry scored more goals in the premiership than the yak, he was a fantastic acquisition based on his scoring record. So im confused how you have come to this conclusion? What did you want 60 a season!? Only one mans done it and ever will ;)

Bailey only one of our lounces is in the tent, the rest are in very nice lounges in the mainstand and park end. The food is excellent, the seats in the exec box are very comfy and a great view. The package is good and reasonable in comparison with teams around us, but we still don't sell them.

Not saying throw money at the squad. I just hate hearing people say that we would be fine if we had the shiney new stadium with loads of Corp seats.

Edited by StevO

im glad you're joking laugh.png unless you have genuinely forgotten that over a four year period only a certain Henry scored more goals in the premiership than the yak, he was a fantastic acquisition based on his scoring record. So im confused how you have come to this conclusion? What did you want 60 a season!? Only one mans done it and ever will wink.png

Looking at some of his stats my statement does appear deeply foolish, however to clarify, I think he has massive purple patches and then prolonged barren spells. He was exceptional in his first season with us scoring 21 in 39 since then in 3 seasons 12 in 68. Not what you want and perhaps its this that has confused me, I dunno, I was pretty drunk beer.gif

Looking at some of his stats my statement does appear deeply foolish, however to clarify, I think he has massive purple patches and then prolonged barren spells. He was exceptional in his first season with us scoring 21 in 39 since then in 3 seasons 12 in 68. Not what you want and perhaps its this that has confused me, I dunno, I was pretty drunk beer.gif

Bingo. Yak is far too inconsistent.

Saw this on GOT -

In other words you can't use the Everton crest as your avatar??????????????????????

On an Everton forum????????????????????????

who the hell sent that out!? thats pathetic....

Edited by StevO

I think the posts below argue my point for me... Moyes was a great manager when he had his worse squad, yet he hasnt adapted as well as he should have in the last few seasons. But thats another thread! doh.gif

Lack of money does not make the manager use players in wrong positions or play safe and not have the balls to change personnel at critical times, or pick players to win games,....... blah blah blah.......

im glad you're joking laugh.png unless you have genuinely forgotten that over a four year period only a certain Henry scored more goals in the premiership than the yak, he was a fantastic acquisition based on his scoring record. So im confused how you have come to this conclusion? What did you want 60 a season!? Only one mans done it and ever will wink.png

I agree biggrin.png

Bailey only one of our lounces is in the tent, the rest are in very nice lounges in the mainstand and park end. The food is excellent, the seats in the exec box are very comfy and a great view. The package is good and reasonable in comparison with teams around us, but we still don't sell them.

Not saying throw money at the squad. I just hate hearing people say that we would be fine if we had the shiney new stadium with loads of Corp seats.

I do agree with what you are saying but it can start the ball rolling and help generate more consistent revenue, even if it may not suddenly lead to mega bucks! We couldnt just build our version of the Emirates and hey presto we are making the same margins as them but Id rather develop what we have, and try and make the most of what we have.

What I would argue with the corporate side of things, is that having top notch facilities can help increase non-matchday revenue, and while it might not be much on its own, add it to an expected increase on corporate match day revenue then you will start bringing in more money. My view is that we cant just keep sitting back and waiting for something to happen, we have to be pro-active and work with what we have (or havent!) got.

fair point bailey. we can only hope they will be proactive.

i know last season they had one particular corp client (his business were infact the very first company to sign up for the corp seats under his father a while back) who has had ten seats for a long long time, tried to negotiate ten seats for the price of nine as the economic climate was difficult, they would not even negotiate and ended up losing his business all together.

they have had similar issues so far this year with some clients still not renewing for this season.

a very well known hotel and a well known catering firm who have had seats for over ten years have not renewed in the 100 club (the top example is also from the 100 club) due to club not being open to discussion on volume discount.

in current business everyone wants a discount, but their rigidity is costing money. and thats only from one lounge that im privy to.

fair point bailey. we can only hope they will be proactive.

i know last season they had one particular corp client (his business were infact the very first company to sign up for the corp seats under his father a while back) who has had ten seats for a long long time, tried to negotiate ten seats for the price of nine as the economic climate was difficult, they would not even negotiate and ended up losing his business all together.

they have had similar issues so far this year with some clients still not renewing for this season.

a very well known hotel and a well known catering firm who have had seats for over ten years have not renewed in the 100 club (the top example is also from the 100 club) due to club not being open to discussion on volume discount.

in current business everyone wants a discount, but their rigidity is costing money. and thats only from one lounge that im privy to.

Why doesnt that surprise me! doh.gif