• Yes
    • No
    • Sitting on the fence

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let him continue his rehabilitation.

Mary Poppins shearer took an unprovoked free kick on Neil Lennons face, remember this?

and let's not forget put Keith Gillespie in hospital in what was pathetically described as Shearer doing the only thing an honourable man could do:

Ever since 23-year-old winger Gillespie back-headed the pavement outside the Cafe-en-Seine bar in Dublin, the spin-doctors of St James's Park have ransacked the dictionary for alternatives to the F- word: "Fight."

We've been spoon-fed with "Fracas", "Horseplay", "Incident", "Scrimmage", "Jostle", "Encounter" and "Skirmish." Need I go on?

But nothing in that lexicon quite fits descriptions of Shearer in the bar rocking Gillespie to and fro in a headlock. Then they both went outside. For a taxi in Shearer's case and an ambulance in the case of Gillespie. His fall kept him in hospital overnight for checks on a cranium spouting so much blood that the first thought was another F-word: "Fracture".

A Dublin accountant and a stock- broker were among witnesses said to have signed affidavits testifying to Shearer throwing a punch. If it missed, then perhaps the draught blew Gillespie over.

The point i'm making is that there is some mysterious 'class' element amongst footballs elite, everything the 'thug' Barton does is made so much more severe. Did he intentionally try to end a career like Roy Keane? then write about it like it was a trophy?

If he criticises a board and the club and fellow players, people moralise as if it's as if it's not his right - , but Roy Keane can walk out on his country, criticise fellow players, end careers because he is Roy Keane. Eric Cantona can two foot a fan nearly taking an elderly ladies head off in the process, it's ok cos he is King Eric. Gerrard can pull a jumper over someones head and punch them on a night out. Terry can bottle a bouncer and sleep with players fiances.

I'm not defending what he has done, but we would do well to realise he has company. Not as bad you may argue, but he does have company - illustrious at that.

I don't know what to think with all the hype of this whole situation. I don't like Barton. I loved Big Dunc; with every piece of his heart he was a truly Evertonian, mistakes included. When Rooney kissed his badge front of EFC fans, it was a huge disparage and really, really bad behaviour vs his 'own' team. It was a team which made him a player he was and still is.

But this is why I don't like Barton. Barton somehow feels to me a dishonourable person for whole Blue Family. He has been disgusting to the fans of a team he is said to be a supporter by himself. We no doubt need a driven player to out midfield, 'cause we don't seem to have that kind of player there. Someone who does 100% week in week out and shows other work ethic on the pitch. But can a player like Barton be that player we need?

TBH I really don't know. I ain't any madam with precious flower hat myself either. My reputation in this town where I've lived whole my life is like everyone's well known, too well. But could I like Barton on our loved shirt and support him as all others?

That's another question I cant answer. Probably yes, but before he is EFC player, I'm on a negative side against him. If he joins, and will be useful and not causing disharmony to this team(which I am scared of) and he plays well etc. I might change my mind.

Why did I mention Dunc or even myself? Because in 7 billion human being is this world, we have different kind of assholes everywhere. Some of them are footballers, some of them just like to watch it.

PS. Yes I know, when I read this reply again. I think its the worst I've ever written in here, but I'm still posting this brain fart.

As far as I'm concerned Barton is a C**t off the field, but a couple if times I saw him on MOTD last season he did look good, if he is a life long everton boy he should have passion for the club, something I think a few players have been lacking in, if he can do what Osman did at the end of last season, pick the game up and take it by the scruff of the neck we could possible do things this season! so yeah I'd have, Christ we need something and it could be that Moyes is the right guy to bring out the good side in him

I wouldn't mind us setting up like this if we signed him...

...................Howard...................

Coleman...Jags...Distin...Baines

......................Nev......................

Barton...Osman...Fellaini...Arteta

.....................Saha.....................

Pretty solid team with some quality back-up e.g. Cahill, Heit, Bily, Yak, etc...

In this case I don't think lack of natural width would effect us too much as we know baines/coleman can bomb past the winger and put a cross in and we'd hope barton/arteta would help back when this happens.

If we could then shift Yobo/Yak then we could probably focus on getting that striker we're also crying out for (when saha's unfit!)

Hopefully Donovan will re-join on loan in Jan too - I'd obviously ask for more but if we could get Barton and a striker this window (only losing yak/yobo) and add to that Donovan in Jan - again not selling anyone (unless Bily bid came in - would need replacing) - then I'd be quite confident with our squad this season with a little luck with injuries.

Essentially the same team - I think Neville will be eased out this season for Rodwell.

I just wanted to stick Rodwell in because I think he will come good this season. I also think if Osman doesn't carry on his form from last season BArkley should be able to replace him.

isn't he a centre mid?? i dont want him here as said but if he comes surely he's best in the centre rather than on the wing? moyes gets shit for playing players out of position and everyone else wants to do the same it seems

Played mainly on the right of midfield last season, Nolan and Tiote were the central partnership. In the 6 games he missed, they didn't win one. Great delivery from crosses and deadball, great passer of the ball, works hard, strong in the tackle.

Be quite ironic that we get a quality player from Newcastle for nothing after they took Gosling off us (well done Bill and co) - who has yet to play a full game.

At 28, his troubles seemingly past him, sober (which has coincided with his good behaviour), focused on football. Can play 2 positions - he is a £10m asset IMO.

At 28, his troubles seemingly past him, sober (which has coincided with his good behaviour), focused on football. Can play 2 positions - he is a £10m asset IMO.

Agree with this, wages could be the issue, i for one would think he would be a great addition to our team.

I really am stuck in two minds when it comes to Barton.

No one can question his Footballing ability. I watched the Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal game and he practicality dragged the Skunks along by himself. We are in the shit. If we don't sign him I seriously think we won't see one addition. So that's why I want him.

However,

He's a Gobshite. The one thing every player at EFC says is just how great our team spirit is. I'd hate for anything to spoil that. I do wonder if Moyes has spoken to some of the Senior players about this, Nev, Tim, Mikel, Howard or Silvan to see what they think. Then if Moyes does meet him tomorrow, I hope he reads him the riot act about how to present himself at our club. The last thing we need is him coming in and creating waves.

If he does sign I do hope he gets shot of that silly mustache, this isn't 1943 Joey.

the thing about messing up team spirit has always seemed media led to me.

apart from dabo, for obvious reasons, he doesnt get a bad rep from other players.

and by all accounts the only time he gets angry with his team mates is when they arent pulling their weight, which i have absolutely no problem with at all.

bellamy always got stick for the same thing, pulling plays up who arent trying hard enough.

if your not pulling your weight and someone has a go then so they should. no time for passengers.

edit:

too true on the muzzy! looks terrible with the mohawk/elvis top.

Edited by StevO

the thing about messing up team spirit has always seemed media led to me.

apart from dabo, for obvious reasons, he doesnt get a bad rep from other players.

and by all accounts the only time he gets angry with his team mates is when they arent pulling their weight, which i have absolutely no problem with at all.

Good Point.

sent home from a pre-season tour after fightin with a 15 year old and had to be dragged off him by richard dunne(if it wasn't as bad as they say he wouldn't have been sent back, fined or sent to anger management so not sure that is media driven)

youth player got a cigar stubbed in his eye..stupid kid shouldn't have been doing what he was doing but still could have blinded the lad for life and ended his career(fined by the club so not sure that is media driven either)

was put in prison for knocking someone unconscious and attacking a teenager in the city centre(again not media driven in my eyes)

i hate the media and they do blow things out of proportion but this guy is a cunt..fantastic player but a nasty, angry fuckwit with little man syndrome(i know he's not that little but anyone under 6ft is little to me)

Edited by marcopaulo

Be interesting to know pax's opinion... Is Barton another Liverpudlian sub species created by the lack of recreational options? Maybe his life would have been so lampardish if he was a nice London boy, privately educated with the snidey ability to influence dressing room unrest with his chum John Terry.