IGNORED

Joey Barton (merged)

Joey Barton  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you welcome him to EFC?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sitting on the fence

If we want him, we can get him. The opportunity to play for the club he supports at 28? There is very little risk, if he messes up we can release, and i'm sure there will be certain clauses in his contract. Wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal come in for him.

With Diaby out, Fabregas seemingly moving this summer, and the likelihood that they may lose Nasri, as well as already sending Denilson out on loan, they are certainly lacking in CM's, and Barton would give them the physicality they need. Since he's free, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Wenger jump on this opportunity.

Edited by The Regulator

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obviously tempting - he is a very good player, would give his all for the club he supports and as a free it makes it much more affordable to us (wages would still likely be an issue though).

However, despite all of the above I am willing to be regarded as being self-righteous but a football club has to maintain some integrity. To that end, we should stay away. People who are given say £50k a week to kick a football should also be expected to behave appropriately.

Im a forgive and forget kind of a bloke and wouldnt hold his past against him. There are few footballers that are angels, and at 21 with the world at his feet and earning silly money he made some mistakes, knocked about with the wrong people and it did take him a long time to grow up after a succession of misdemeanours

It does seem as if he has grown up and has started focusing on his football. I have always thought he was a big talent but a knobhead, seems he is trying to stop being a knobhead and the talent remains.

If DM reckons he can make it work then good for him, go for him. If we dont get him I would suggest DM doesnt want him

I voted yes becuase he is still a very good player, him and Nolan absolutely bossed the midfield at Goodison last season.

I can easily understand why people are against him coming but I just think that if he didnt have all this baggage attached he would be way out of our league anyway. Its ok being all righteous but when we havent got a pot to piss in I think we have to grab any chance we can to improve the squad.

I say give him a go and if he goes back to his old ways then show him the door and weve lost nothing. The Geordies all seemed to have taken to him so he must have been doing something right up there

Lol and its probably the only chance we have got to sign anybody who is even remotely good enough for the first team for the foreseeable future

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

The legal system we have in this country took him to jail, maybe a bit later than it should have but he took his pubishment, served his time and is now a free man.

People guiltier of much much worse crimes walk this earth free without serving up any justice.

If moyes takes the risk then I'd be made up we got a very talented footballer for free.

Sitting on the fence... Barton is a douchebag, no doubt. One wrong move and I'd want him out. But in the interest of the team...he'd add much needed depth. I just really hate his guts as a person. I'm trying to remember it's about the game and not his personal life... though I am jaded.

Most rapists don't go to jail, let alone even go to court.

Joey has been charged and served a sentence given to him. As I said he is now a free man.

Barton will always split the fans, but I only care about him on the pitch as off it he hasn't caused any problems for a long time now.

not sure what your point about rapists is? couldn't give a fuck what sentence he was given he should get banned from football for the shit he's done..not like it's one incident then i might be more inclined to be forgiving..the man is a wanker and i would never ever cheer him for this club

not sure what your point about rapists is? couldn't give a fuck what sentence he was given he should get banned from football for the shit he's done..not like it's one incident then i might be more inclined to be forgiving..the man is a wanker and i would never ever cheer him for this club

My point is that he served his time when other people serve none yet people still can't let it go.

The incident with the lad and the cigar was not on a football pitch so he could not possibly be banned because of it.

Duncan hit a ref on the pitch, Suarez bit a guys ear on the pitch I believe and neither of them got banned.

My main point is we all have a past, but in my opinion if a person has served their punishment it has to be left in the past.

Murder and rape are the only crimes I see as unforgivable and unforgettable.

There are plenty worse people then joey Barton in this world.

The question is what would he add? We already have Fellani, Arteta, Rodders, Cahill, Billy, Osman, not to mention Baxter, and the other young talent comming through. It would only make sence if we sold Fellani or Redders, to free up cash for a genuine winger and / or a striker.

Would I want him at the club, well if its the Barton who played for the barcodes last season then yes. If its the spanner who played for city then no