IGNORED

Football Trivia Question of the Day

Bill

Swindon or Bradford, pure guess on the fact they may not have had the biggest squads when they came into the prem for their short lived spells.

Queens Park Rangers for their first three matches of the 1995-96 season.

Sunday 26th February 2012:

What was the original idea behind the Football League Cup in season 1960-61?

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it was made mid-season when Liverpoo were doing poorly and the idea was to give them another chance to win something and get into Europe just in case! (Everton were never to be allowed to win it!) liverpoo have been allowed to win on 'off' seasons regularly ever since...

That's what I've heard anyway!

Just thought I would throw this one in. Which current league side's only domestic honour is the Charity Shield?

The answer is Brighton and Hove Albion. Between 1910 and 1915 it was played between League winners and winners of the, amateur, Southern League. Brighton beat Aston Villa on the only occasion the League winners lost.

It had something to do with the ontroduction of compulsory floodlights at all grounds, as it was the first competition to be held solely as night games including the final which was played over two legs.

Help!, there's questions all over the place, it's like trying to answer three at the same time. Need some organization here

I would never have got that Charity Shield question right, I wasn't even aware it was active as far back as that

I dont know the League Cup question either, Rotherham were very nearly the first winners I think of all things and all things considered maybe they should never have even brought this tournament about, its merely an insignificant plastic piece of trophy. If they can scrap the ECWC like they did about 10 years ago, which wasnt a bad european contest, then why leave the League Cup unmolested and just getting in the way of proper calendar fixtures or games that are actually relevant. Has nothing to do with the fact Everton have never won it or the Shite have a little game on later today, its merely how I feel about it

Maybe there was a lot of competitions starting about that time, such as the Scots League Cup, UEFA cup, ECWC, European Cup, even the European Championships in 1960 even, it was just that time for it all so they thought 'let's include this in it too' I don't know I surrender.gif

The answer is Brighton and Hove Albion. Between 1910 and 1915 it was played between League winners and winners of the, amateur, Southern League. Brighton beat Aston Villa on the only occasion the League winners lost.

But that's not their only "domestic honour"....

...this http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-two/2001-2002 for example.

In fact they've won five different league titles in their history.....plus the Southern League once.

It was to gain more income for the clubs to pay for the stuff they used, or something like that.

It was to gain more income for the clubs to pay for the stuff they used, or something like that.

Almost there!

It was to enable clubs to get extra income from their investment in floodlights, as matches were played midweek in the evenings, including the Final.

Monday 27th February 2012:

Who are the eight Scots who have managed their clubs to win the Football League (Carling) Cup?

But that's not their only "domestic honour"....

...this http://www.statto.co...n-two/2001-2002 for example.

In fact they've won five different league titles in their history.....plus the Southern League once.

Sorry Mike, I should have checked the question, I was of course meaning the Division 1 (in all its guises, the FA and League Cups and Charity Shield. I thought the Charity Shield part would have fooled folk as they never won any of the others. Ah well back to the drawing board.

dalglish...ferguson...mcleish...erm...souness at some point maybe?

Willie Reid (Norwich 1962), Matt Gillies (Leicester 64), Tommy Doherty (Chelsea 65), George Graham (Arsenal 87, 93 & Spurs 99), Alex Ferguson (Man United 1992, 2006, 2009, 2010), Graeme Souness (Blackburn 2002), Alex McLeish (Birmingham 2011) & Kenny Dalglish (Liverpool 2012).

Football League Cup Winning Managers 1960-61 to 2011-12

Tuesday 28th February 2012:

Who was the last England player to score a winning goal against the Netherlands in a full international?

i can't remember us ever playing them to be honest...was only 9 in 96 so will explain that....9 mike...you hear me? tongue.png

*Gives the cheeky young lad a clip round the ear.*

Anymore of that kind of nonsense and you will be banned from Minding The Cars on match days. When you stop getting your threepenny bits out in the street to show yer mates you will be sorry.

Shearer & and Sheringham got two each in the '96 Euros.

Watched it last night http://news.bbc.co.u...all/7428337.stm smile.png

Don't remember beating them since.

Teddy Sheringham's 51st minute goal proved to be the winner in a 4-1 win for England in the Group Stages of Euro 96 at Wembley.

Wednesday 29th February 2012:

Which player is the all-time highest goalscorer for the Netherlands national team?

I can see a theme starting here!

My first guess would have to be Denis Bergkamp seeing as he is an absolute genius with the football. I'd expect that he would have scored a fair few goals for the Netherlands in his prime and I woulden't be surprised if nobody has matched it. I don't think that Van Basten will be up there due to his long injury crisis which will have stopped him from scoring so my guess is Denis Bergkamp.

Patrick Klivert gets an honourable mention too, if it's not Bergie then I'll guess him.

Patrick Kluivert gets my vote

Yes, Patrick Kluivert with 40 goals from his 79 matches played between 1994 - 2004.

Thursday 1st March 2012:

Which six managers have achived the "Grand Slam" of Top Flight Championship, FA Cup & League Cup in English Football?

Kenny Dalglish (won with Liverpool)

Sir Alex Ferguson (won with Manchester United)

Jose Mourhinho (won with Chelsea)

I do actually know the other three because I have heard this question before when it was just the five managers (Dalglish only got added to that list when he beat Cardiff the other night) and I'm sure the other managers are before my time. I'm 100% confident about my first three guesses however!

Friday 2nd March 2012:

Which 24 footballers who played under Sir Alex Ferguson went on to become managers themselves?

Bruce

Ince

Hughes

Ferguson jnr

Blanc

Keane

Robson

Ole Gunnar

Berg

Anderson

Blackmore

Casper

Strachan

Does Neville count for his u21 match?!

Here are the 25 I have: Viv Anderson, Michael Appleton, Henning Berg, Clayton Blackmore, Laurent Blanc, Steve Bruce, Chris Casper, Peter Davenport, Simon Davies, Darren Ferguson, Mark Hughes, Paul Ince, Andrei Kanchelskis, Roy Keane, Henrik Larsson, Pat McGibbon, Alex McLeish, Paul Parker, Mark Robins, Bryan Robson, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Frank Stapleton, Gordon Strachan, Chris Turner and Neil Webb.

Saturday 3rd March 2012:

What was the Belgian National Team's only major international honour won?

Saturday 3rd March 2012:

What was the Belgian National Team's only major international honour won?

Well it's not the world cup or European championships so it must be an Olympic gold medel, but god only knows when. Ages ago I guess :)

Well it's not the world cup or European championships so it must be an Olympic gold medel, but god only knows when. Ages ago I guess

I'd go for the Olympics too, they have never won the World Cup or the Euro's and there is no other competition that I can see them entering. It's probably from a long, long time ago though; 1920's? 1930's?

Anyways, Olympic Gold for me!