IGNORED

Football Trivia Question of the Day

Bill

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to the forum being offline I've not been able to clarify your answer. Your guess of West Ham is indeed correct;

The answer was the 1975 team who beat Fulham 2-0 in the final. The line-up was: Mervyn Day, Jack McDowell, Frank Lampard, Billy Bonds ©, Tommy Taylor, Kevin Lock, Billy Jennings, Greham Paddon, Alan Taylor, Trevor Brooking and Pat Holland.

Congratulations to you Jona!

Zoo's Question of the Day Round 8:

What is the biggest ever half-time score? (In a professional match).

18-0

Thursday 16th February 2012:

Who was the first English player to win League Championships in three different countries?

First thought was Linker, but then remembered he came when we were Champions.

Trevor Steven- EFC, Rangers, Marseille?

Yes, Trevor Steven in England (Everton, 1985 & 1987), Scotland (Rangers, 1989 & 1997) and France (Marseille, 1992).

Saturday 18th February 2012:

Which English player has made the most Premier League appearances without ever winning a full England cap?

Abroath do hold the record for the biggest win of all time seeing as they defeated Bon Accord 36-0 in a competative match back in 1885. They do not however hold the record for the largest win at half-time as Australia played American Samoa in a 2002 World Cup Qualifier (making it proffessional) and managed to sneak a 31-0 victory with a world-record 13 goals for Archie Thompson - the Aussies lead 16-0 at the half which beats Arbroath as they only managed 15 in the first 45.

The reasons for such a large defeat are clear; American Samoa themselves are not a very good team when they play a full strength squad and even the Welsh national team would managed to get a draw against them. They are ranked 187th in the world and due to all of the Samoan's not having the correct passport to get into Australia (apart from the goalkeeper) they Samoan boss had to start looking at the youth squads. The U20's had exams in school meaning that none of them could be selected so the boss had to look even younger and even drafted three 15 year olds into the squad meaning that 99% of the American Samoan team had never played a full 90 minute match proffessionally.

Needles to say they got hammered even though the Samoan coach sang praises of his goalkeeper by saying;

"he kept the score down with a magnificent display".

which is the kind of bollocks you'd expect to hear from Steve Kean.

Australia finishd the group in first place with a 22-0 win over Tonga, a 2-0 win over Fiji and an 11-0 win over Samoa before being eliminated by Uraguay in the final qualifier. With 66 goals scored this surely has to be the most successful world cup qualifying campaign ever that still proved unsuccessful - highlights of the American Samoa game can be seen below.

No idea as I know that Match of the Day started way before my time - I'm pretty sure that it was in the 1960's when my Dad was born and I'll take a wild guess at someone from the Liverpool team seeing as they always crop up in these questions from days gone by...

I'll guess Kenny Dalglish, even though I'm pretty sure he wasn't even playing when Match of the Day began.

Zoo's Question of the Day Round 9:

Who's the only player to be top scorer in a top-flight season with three different clubs? (In England)

Edited by Zoo

dad says he knows that one...and it indeed was a player for the shite if he is right...roger hunt...heard the name but that's all

I'm afraid he's wrong.

Hunt may well have been the top scorer for Liverpool on three occassions but he has only ever played for Liverpool and Bolton meaning that he dosen't qualify for the question, Hunt was one of Liverpool's top scorers in his stint there however at Bolton he failed to find the net as often with only 24 goals to his name in 76 games.

Nice guess though - try again!

that was for match of the day question man..sorry didn't see you had posted a new one.

No worries mate, your Dad's probably right seeing how many goals Hunt scored for Liverpool and seeing as he played around 60's when I think the programme began. Now stop wasting time and answer my question you two shaking fist.png

dad says he knows that one...and it indeed was a player for the shite if he is right...roger hunt...heard the name but that's all

Top marks to your Dad!

Roger Hunt for Liverpool in a 3-2 win at Anfield against Arsenal on Saturday 22nd August 1964.

Hunt played in England's 1966 World Cup winning team.

Monday 20th February 2012:

Who was the first Foreign (non-UK or Ireland) footballer to play for Manchester United?

Edited by THFC6061

Top marks to your Dad!

Roger Hunt for Liverpool in a 3-2 win at Anfield against Arsenal on Saturday 22nd August 1964.

Hunt played in England's 1966 World Cup winning team.

Monday 20th February 2012:

Who was the first Foreign (non-UK or Ireland) footballer to play for Manchester United?

Jesper Blomquestiethingymebob?

Recent winners Buffon and Barthez.

I woulden't argue with that as they are both good goalkeepers but I'll take my guess from some of the oldies. I'll say that both Gordan Banks and Lev Yashin have kept a considerable number of clean sheets in world cup finals and considering how many records Banks has for England (one being that he has the longest clean sheet record for England) means that he may well have a record in the World Cup too.

My answer; Gordan Banks and Lev Yashin.

Yes just about to add that Kanchelskis was on board at Old TRafford about 1991 and Blomquist was tail end of the 1990s, even Cryuff was before him when he signed about 1996 that summer

so we need to look before 1991, I'm really tired but there has to be someone, probably after Ferguson took over in October 1986 and before the end of the 1980s but I can't quite think

Is the other one Walter Zenga as he had a record for that kind of thing for Italy years back, if not him then maybe Taffarel with Brazil

France won in 1998 with a very clean defense I remember so maybe Barthez could be included in it, could be Lev Yashin, best goalkeeper ever I saw, USSR had a very good side back in the day and he must have stopped some in his time

Yes just about to add that Kanchelskis was on board at Old TRafford about 1991 and Blomquist was tail end of the 1990s, even Cryuff was before him when he signed about 1996 that summer

so we need to look before 1991, I'm really tired but there has to be someone, probably after Ferguson took over in October 1986 and before the end of the 1980s but I can't quite think

Is the other one Walter Zenga as he had a record for that kind of thing for Italy years back, if not him then maybe Taffarel with Brazil

France won in 1998 with a very clean defense I remember so maybe Barthez could be included in it, could be Lev Yashin, best goalkeeper ever I saw, USSR had a very good side back in the day and he must have stopped some in his time

Yugoslavian defender Nikola Jovanovic, signed for £300,000 from Red Star Belgrade by Dave Sexton in January 1980.

Recent winners Buffon and Barthez.

Peter Shilton (England, 1982–1990) & Fabien Barthez (France, 1998–2006).

Wednesday 22nd February 2012:

11 different goalkeepers have appeared for England in FIFA World Cup Finals but which two failed to keep a clean sheet?

Robert Green is one.

He has only ever played in one World Cup Final game and that was against the United States where he spilled Dempsey's ball to make it 1-1. Due to being dropped in the next game for David James he's never managed to make up for his mistake.

I'll get back to you on the other.

I think Peter Bonetti only played against West Germany in Mexico 1970 when England lost 3-2 after being up 2-0. I think he played 'cos Banks had food poisoning.

Yes, Peter Bonetti and Rob Green.

Thursday 23rd February 2012:

Which player holds the record for scoring the most goals in his debut Premier League season?

I'd take a guess at Ruud Van Nistlerooy, I remember when he first came to Manchester United he was on fire and I woulden't be surprised if he finished as the leagues top goalscorer. I remember him being United's penalty taker too and due to him being such a diving bastard he racked up a lot of goals from the spot - still a great player just a cheat.