IGNORED

New striker

Mogsy

theres a reason - hes shit and old.

Hahaha! Very true, however on that topic, who should be our second striker? I like Vellios but all he has is potential at this point (Great size and pace combo though). Vic's goal scoring this year, but I still think he's shit and won't be a Premier League player after he leaves us, and he is always injured, and then Straq may very well not be here next year.... So who is our 2nd striker? If Straq leaves, we should try to get SOMEBODY with experience in on a free or next to nothing, because Vic will probably get injured at some point, and I don't know if either Baxter or Vellios are ready to play regularly in the Premiership... I don't even want to discuss the effects of a Jelavic injury... Let's not even go there.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more talking about a backup/sub rather than the "2nd striker" position if you guys are commenting on what I said. We have plenty of people who can play attacking mid/2nd striker... Ossie, Fellaini, Barkley, Baxter (I believe that's his favorite position), Cahill (even though he's not that great anymore.), Gueye, etc... I'm referring to someone who can come off the bench and play up top, or play if Jelly gets hurt.

In that case Anichebe will be second choice. If he falls further down the pecking order he will cry for a move.

I kind of miss Jermaine Beckford right now! he would be great off the bench, and would be an interesting pair WITH Jelly in a 4-4-2.

I kind of miss Jermaine Beckford right now! he would be great off the bench, and would be an interesting pair WITH Jelly in a 4-4-2.

I was never a fan, he done better than I expected, Bent mark II done his job and then we made a profit. Win win for us, but never a long term solution.

shaking%20fist.png

you really should'nt be encouraging this tactic it's not really where we want him.

Not his ideal place but he plays well there and is a real handful for defenders. Id personally leave him in CDM or encourage him as box to box. Was just a suggestion :)

He does, but he does'nt score enough goals to start playing there every week.

? Nearly all the goals hes scored have come from him behind the striker from what I remember. Was it year before last at Christmas where he was pushed up front and got a fair few?

Would anybody take a punt on micheal Owen on a free(provided his wages were ok) in all fairness I don't think there is much of difference between having him and when we had Saha for the first season, maybe a pay as you play contract?

What i mean is he is no Cahill, which is what we need, hence why Dempsey would be perfect.

Not with you on this one Pris, I really think with Moyes determined to play the one up front then we need a silky No 10 to join the midfield with Jelly which on part you are right on the money with Clint but I think someone younger and more skillfull and aware would be better long term. (If only looking at resale value)sad.png

Not with you on this one Pris, I really think with Moyes determined to play the one up front then we need a silky No 10 to join the midfield with Jelly which on part you are right on the money with Clint but I think someone younger and more skillfull and aware would be better long term. (If only looking at resale value)sad.png

Oh of course, i only mentioned Cahill in terms of goal return, we need a much more rounded player than Cahill

Guest blueboy122

Holliet would be perfect.

We don't need a new striker and why waste money or even try etc when all we have to do is clone Jelavic like that sheep a few years back, and there you go -

I don't know much about the Holliett guy apart from he has scored a few goals here and there, was with Wolverhampton a while back, actually I just checked some stats and it appears he never played there so that shows how much I know of this individual but could have sworn he scored goals for the club, must have been the opposition then.

Owen would be interesting for sure, he's not an ex shite player I care much about in that respect, simply that he's an exciting player and the ability is there, and all what he's done etc, I would be quite excited to see him in blue actually, maybe I'm just curious etc

Edited by StevO

Guest blueboy122

We don't need a new striker and why waste money or even try etc when all we have to do is clone Jelavic like that sheep a few years back, and there you go -

I don't know much about the Holliett guy apart from he has scored a few goals here and there, was with Wolverhampton a while back, actually I just checked some stats and it appears he never played there so that shows how much I know of this individual but could have sworn he scored goals for the club, must have been the opposition then.

Owen would be interesting for sure, he's not an ex shite player I care much about in that respect, simply that he's an exciting player and the ability is there, and all what he's done etc, I would be quite excited to see him in blue actually, maybe I'm just curious etc

Weird

Edited by StevO

You should be all over Hoilett - I'd love him to stop at Rovers but it's not happening and I think he'd be an excellent signing for you with Jelavic up front. He's quick, takes people on, got a decent shot on him too. I would say that without him last season we'd have been dead and buried by about February. It was one of them - if Hoilett played well we had a chance of winning, if he didnt we might as well have just not bothered turning up.

Hoilett has actually been at Rovers since he was 14-15. However because he is Canadian (and doesn't want to play for them because he's 'waiting' for an england call up) he couldn't get a work permit here. He spent a few years in Germany at Paderborn and St Pauli (where he won thier player of the year) before coming back to Ewood. It was a long fight to get him another work permit when he signed 2 years ago, and I think that might be the only sticking point for someone in England taking him on.

He wont be fully free for Everton, he'd be about £3m from a tribunal because of his age and how long he's been at Rovers. But for us it'd be better than him going to Bayern because then we'd get nowt.

Edited by StevO

I don't want hoillet.

Part of me agrees, we need to build around Jelavic. Jelavic isn't a naturally pacy striker. Pienaar plus his clone for the other wing would be perfect. With a striker like Jelavic we need to keep possession in the opps half and we'll score goals as we'll get chances.

I really like hoillett but think maybe there could be better players for us (and to compliment Jelavic).

Part of me agrees, we need to build around Jelavic. Jelavic isn't a naturally pacy striker. Pienaar plus his clone for the other wing would be perfect. With a striker like Jelavic we need to keep possession in the opps half and we'll score goals as we'll get chances.

I really like hoillett but think maybe there could be better players for us (and to compliment Jelavic).

exactly, also i feel like he is lazy because honestly there have only been a few games where he has shown and when I watched him he would not really try.

I don't know much about the Holliett guy apart from he is colored and has scored a few goals here and there, was with Wolverhampton a while back, actually I just checked some stats and it appears he never played there so that shows how much I know of this individual but could have sworn he scored goals for the club, must have been the opposition then.

Fixed it for you, not even relevant.