IGNORED

New striker

Mogsy

Our CB pairing (if Duffy loses his spot once the other two are fit) should be Heitinga and either of the other two. I don't really care which one because Distin and Jagielka look a terrible partnership but both seem to fit with will Johnny.

This. But Moyes has always favoured Jags and Distin, even to the point Jags was playing with a broken toe to not split up their partnership. I'd have requested a transfer if I was Johnny.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people need to reduce the lag time in their player appraisals - are we still assessing Jags for his perfromances pre knee injury??? It seems so in many cases, he has lost his super human focus and edge, he is the most inconsistent centre half we have.

I don't have the same love for Johnny the Romey has, but... he is our most capable centre half in terms of composure, focus and ability.

Blimey it's took this season for many of you to see Cahill is past it, I seen this near two years ago - as for Neville he has been poor for a good good while.

Seriously too many players are judged on reputation alone.

They get the reputation by being good players, Henry and Beckham are not as good as they were, but they are still good players.

a player can last on reputation for a certain time...but cahill, neville and saha are on borrowed time and well into it performance wise..all 3 have been immensely poor for a long time..and as for jags have we conceded less goals since he was out? no..our midfield and full backs are to blame as much..too many easy goals with no pressure...and before anyone shoves it up my arse i think he's been shit too but certainly not solely to blame for points

The point i'm trying to make is ...... just because the players mentioned are not as good as they once were, it doesn't mean that they are bad players.

Go and ask Wigan if they would like to have Neville and Cahill, they would jump at the chance.

Edited by Bill

The point i'm trying to make is ...... just because the players mentioned are not as good as they once were, it doesn't mean that they are bad players.

Go and ask Wigan if they would like to have Neville and Cahill, they would jump at the chance.

Very true Bill but in the present climate there are a lot of people in here that just want a good old moan about anything and everything connected to Everton Football Club regardless of any sound reasoning.

To be honest Im a little discusted at how quickly people in here have turned on Phil Neville IMO he has been a fantastic signing for this club and a great captain and so deserves much better than the crap he gets in here. Yes he is past his best , that is why he hasnt been in the starting XI when everybody is fit but I think he is still a very capable squad player

You can't keep playing players just because of what they once were. All things have to come to an end and there is no room for sentiment when football is a results game. And now these players are not good enough to get the results. You have to change and evolve.

You can't keep playing players just because of what they once were. All things have to come to an end and there is no room for sentiment when football is a results game. And now these players are not good enough to get the results. You have to change and evolve.

Agreed but you also have to have either the players or the finances to replace them and I dont think we have either

I dont get it to be honest Dunc.

People havent turned on Phil Neville, hes not played well and people have noticed. Whats so bad about that? Are we meant to say ah its ok Phil, we dont mind you playing bad, you've done well in your time here.

No one is having a personal go at the man, just at his performance. And i'm sure if you asked him to his face he would tell you he hasnt been upto scratch too.

a player can last on reputation for a certain time...but cahill, neville and saha are on borrowed time and well into it performance wise..all 3 have been immensely poor for a long time..and as for jags have we conceded less goals since he was out? no..our midfield and full backs are to blame as much..too many easy goals with no pressure...and before anyone shoves it up my arse i think he's been shit too but certainly not solely to blame for points

Just checked the figures and the defence with Jags conceded 8 goals in the 10 and a half games before his injury, they have conceded 6 goals in the 3 and a half games since his injury.

I think with Jags he is always going to make mistakes because he is the one willing to step out of position to put a challenge or an interception in, this is vital for breaking up opposition play and not inviting pressure on ourselves and I think is something we are missing at the moment and is exposing our defensive midfielders and fullbacks as you say. I also think this is the reason he seems to get criticised by fans so often and I think alot of it is unfair.

I will agree that his distribution isn't superb and he opts to go long too often but I think that is largely to do with our midfield being very flat, there isn't a whole lot of options in front to pass to.

I am not criticising the replacement centrebacks as I think they are doing a great job, particularly the young lad Duffy, but the team needs to adapt to life without Jags and try and plug that gap between defence on midfield because at the moment I think we are giving people far to much time on the ball in that dangerous area.

Agreed but you also have to have either the players or the finances to replace them and I dont think we have either

I never thought I'd say it but I can't wait for Hibbert to come back so Neville doesn't have to play. Although, Moyes could push him into midfield which is even worse. And looks quite likely if Moyes does push Fellaini further forward.

Cahill and Saha could be dropped quite easily, IMO. Get Vellios up there, or even Anichebe because he's not a winger, and never will be, he's a striker. Have Donovan as the supporting striker, or Gueye seeing as he says he's a striker and not a winger too or Drenthe. That would solve the problem of him being a liability defensively.

Howard

Hibbert Duffy Heitinga Baines

Coleman Fellaini Gibson/Rodwell Drenthe

Donovan

Vellios/Anichebe

The point I'm making is that we do have the players to change things round. And with the team I've listed above there's room for fluidity too - Drenthe could swap with Donovan at times, or if Rodwell comes back in for Gibson then he can swap with Donovan throughout the game too. Hell, if Anichebe's playing as the striker then he can even swap with Drenthe for a wing role and we can Drenthe as the striker.

Also, if Barkley ever sees the light of day again you could have him behind the striker and Donovan in Coleman's place on the wing.

Dunc, we badly need freshening up, but we can do that with what we already have IMO.

Edited by Romey 1878

I never thought I'd say it but I can't wait for Hibbert to come back so Neville doesn't have to play. Although, Moyes could push him into midfield which is even worse. And looks quite likely if Moyes does push Fellaini further forward.

Cahill and Saha could be dropped quite easily, IMO. Get Vellios up there, or even Anichebe because he's not a winger, and never will be, he's a striker. Have Donovan as the supporting striker, or Gueye seeing as he says he's a striker and not a winger too or Drenthe. That would solve the problem of him being a liability defensively.

Howard

Hibbert Duffy Heitinga Baines

Coleman Fellaini Gibson/Rodwell Drenthe

Donovan

Vellios/Anichebe

The point I'm making is that we do have the players to change things round. And with the team I've listed above there's room for fluidity too - Drenthe could swap with Donovan at times, or if Rodwell comes back in for Gibson then he can swap with Donovan throughout the game too. Hell, if Anichebe's playing as the striker then he can even swap with Drenthe for a wing role and we can Drenthe as the striker.

Also, if Barkley ever sees the light of day again you could have him behind the striker and Donovan in Coleman's place on the wing.

Dunc, we badly need freshening up, but we can do that with what we already have IMO.

Well put, I agree completely. Either he needs help or someone else needs to make the decisions. The whole frontline especially needs to be revitalized, we've got strikers training and on the bench that never look as sedentary or uninterested as Saha usually does. I'd like to see us develop a partnership; It could even be as simple as giving Vellios a whole half with someone (i.e. Anichebe, McAleny). Right now we can't even say we're trying everything, we're throwing the same tired team at everything.

I agree with the above what I don't get is. Reputation can keep you in the team for a few games while you try and get form back but if you have not performed for the length of time players like Cahill and Saha have surely you should get dropped.

When players come in and prove they can do what their first team equivalent can't score goals Vellios vs saha for example it sends a bad message when the first teamer keeps his place.

I agree with the above what I don't get is. Reputation can keep you in the team for a few games while you try and get form back but if you have not performed for the length of time players like Cahill and Saha have surely you should get dropped.

When players come in and prove they can do what their first team equivalent can't score goals Vellios vs saha for example it sends a bad message when the first teamer keeps his place.

Little Boom.

Whole Post

This is exactly the point that a lot of people seem to miss. We have options, we can change it around but we dont. I too dont think that Vellios/Vic/Straq are particularly ready to be the first choice striker but when Saha is more of a hindrance than a help, we cant do any worse by sticking these lads in there.

If we played 5 in midfield, we could potentially have one of the best 'defensive 5''s in the country (Hibbert?, Heits, Distin/Duffy/Jags, Baines & Felli) and it would give us a great platform to pack the rest of the team with creativity, pace and maybe, just maybe, some excitement.

Moyes is tying his own hands far tighter than the board are. We desperately need as much money as we can from league placings, and with every game we piss away a golden chance to win against a very average team, we end up costing the club a lot of money.

I rarely agree with you but this is spot on, very clearly put and unfortunately very accurate!

This is exactly the point that a lot of people seem to miss. We have options, we can change it around but we dont. I too dont think that Vellios/Vic/Straq are particularly ready to be the first choice striker but when Saha is more of a hindrance than a help, we cant do any worse by sticking these lads in there.

If we played 5 in midfield, we could potentially have one of the best 'defensive 5''s in the country (Hibbert?, Heits, Distin/Duffy/Jags, Baines & Felli) and it would give us a great platform to pack the rest of the team with creativity, pace and maybe, just maybe, some excitement.

Moyes is tying his own hands far tighter than the board are. We desperately need as much money as we can from league placings, and with every game we piss away a golden chance to win against a very average team, we end up costing the club a lot of money.

Boom here too please Ten. Playing Saha this season has been like playing with 10 men, 9 when Cahill hasnt been performing too.

I have always been vocal about my hatred for Saha but putting that to one side. If any player was playing as bad as him I would be calling for a change. But this leads me to a more worrying conclusion if moyes is Seeing those performances and keeping him in the team either he thinks that is the best way of getting a goal or he doesn't trust anyone else. Either way it doesn't show him as a good manager.

Looks like he might make the swedish squad for the Euros this summer. His value will rocket and we will be nowhere near signing him ever. But yes, ive suggested him on a couple of occations just as I did with Rasmus Elm before Everton showed interest. Im not saying that im a better scout (haha) but I do hear a lot about swedish players obviously. These two were definatly within Evertons grasp at one point. Both are now way to expensive.

Wouldnt mind if the swedish newspapers started to write about our friend Johan Hammar. Curious about him, played monday night. Has anyone seen him play? Whats he like?

Guidetti just scored a hattrick against Ajax to lead Feyenoord to a 4-2 victory. Would love him here.

• 3 months later...

I don't even know who that is. I'll have to use a reference..

Of course, Celtic player who got five today in the SPL, he's not got a bad goals to game ratio I saw, this was the one at Hartlepool years ago who made a name for himself, I meant Scunthorpe, forgot all about him actually. Yes, he could be a possible target in the summer, but scoring in the SPL and at 2nd or 3rd division level in England, well I don't know how he would adapt to the level of the Premier League.

He says he is content with where he is anyway, so really I expect nothing to come of this.