Blackburn (A)...Tim Howard

Sheffield United (H)...Ross Barkley

QPR (H)...Ross Barkley

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

distin for me...crackin match at the back

I thought he looked a little shakey at times but there wasnt anyone better. It would also be nice if Distin could use his right foot...

Ossie also looked ok when he moved into his more familiar role and it was a great pass to give Hibbert the chance to cross for the goal. Johnny was ok in midfield, a few mistakes and terrible passes but a lot of tracking and some good tackles. Denis ran his ass off (again) as did Vic which was quite surprising.

Baines was bad today. He is so frustrated and is clearly lacking confidence. Stupid yellow card to pick up too.

Think before we start on the players a special mention has to go out to David Moyes. For me this is the first game this season where he has grown some balls and put two up front and look where it got us. Once we had two up front West Brom coulden't handle us and we was always looking like a winning side.

I think Distin did well at the back and put in some crucial tackles along with the likes of Tony Hibbert and Leighton Baines (his yellow card was silly but going forward I thought he was decent). In the midfield Heitinga did all that was asked of him and Osman did a few decent runs down the wing although he didn't excite me as much as he has done in previous weeks.

Neville was poor and was right to be taken off whilst the subs Stracq and Anichebe did well, Stracq for me was our man of the match as when he stepped onto the pitch the game changed, he challenged their defence, held balls up for Cahill/Gueye/Anichebe and actually looked like scoring for me. Based on the performance that he's just put in I hope Moyes goes on to sign him when his loan deal runs out.

Distin overall. But...

The defence as a unit was solid today - they deserved their bit of luck where WBA found gaps. Johnny did a good job helping them too. Hibbo and Osman put in decent shifts and of course linked up well for the goal.

A bit of credit must go to Moyes though. I was as disappointed as anyone seeing how we set-up but he made the correct changes at the correct times today when he saw that the game was there to be won. A mate of mine is a WBA season ticket holder and he said, "Fair play to you, as Everton went for the win. We just sat back!" - sums it up for me.

Distin for me also but he still needs to be dropped when Felli's back.

Be interesting to see a Distin/Heitinga partnership but it's not going to happen.

Why would you drop our best Centre back Mike?

When in form, Distin is the boss, and he's been in good form for a good period, even if his comeback game was a bit rusty.

Jags has been the weak link for long periods and escaped. Having competition for places is healthy, but players need to lose out if they don't work hard enough. That for me has been Moyes' weakness. I agree that a Distin / Heitinga partnership might be fruitful, but we need to get the guy signed first, or he might be gone.

Agree with the guys complimenting moyes. We started with a pretty negative setup but to his credit he made attacking (yes attacking!!) changes at the right time. That game was always there to be won as west brom were poor throughout.

I can't wait for Donovan to be available as we had absolutely nothing upfront the first half, no movement, no effort, no quality...it's really pissing me off because we might as well play 5-5-0 at times BUT right changes at the right time- 3 points.

My nomination goes to straq. Distain had a good game but against a poor west brom front line.

Edited by Eddie_1938

I think it was hard to pick one today, but gave it to Ossie for good allaround perfomance. Straqu were again making impact right after came in and i think Hibbo, Jags and Distin were all playing well today and also all of them made some crucial challenges to deny wba chances.

Distin for me also but he still needs to be dropped when Felli's back.

I'm unsure why Distin needs to be dropped after having a game like he just did (he got the man of the match vote from Peter Reid and Niall Quinn over at Sky Sports HQ). He kept out most of West Brom's chances and hardly put a foot wrong so it would seem strange to relegate him to the bench when there is nothing he's done wrong.Just my opinion.

Why does Straq have several nominations but only 1 vote on the board?

The one vote that Stracq has got is from me, so don't be looking over here! shaking%20fist.png

Edited by Zoo

I'm unsure why Distin needs to be dropped after having a game like he just did (he got the man of the match vote from Peter Reid and Niall Quinn over at Sky Sports HQ). He kept out most of West Brom's chances and hardly put a foot wrong so it would seem strange to relegate him to the bench when there is nothing he's done wrong.Just my opinion.

I agree really....I only said he needs to be dropped because Heitinga's been consistently our best centre back but will no doubt be dropped when Felli comes back because Moyes won't drop Jags (who's been our worst centre back).....so if Distin stays it'll be at Johnny's expense. That's what I meant.

Idea world Heitinga/Distin together but I can't see it happening.

Why not leave Heitinga in midfield and drop Neville

Because he's wasted there....he's average in midfield (and unnecessary if Fellaini's playing) and a top class centre back. I'm all for dropping Neville but if we want/need extra defensive cover alongside Felli Rodwell is by far the better option (imo).

The defence as a unit played well, and as i have said in other posts they denied WBA a single shot on target, My vote goes to Distin who put in an awesome performance, and Moyes will find it very difficult to leave him out.

Congrats also goes to Moyes, the perfect tactics for us as we were the away team, contain and deny them any goal chances for an Hour, then turn the Screw and unleash the dogs (Anichebe and Straqualursi) they caused some problems and look as tho they can shake up a few defenders,

I liked the look of straq, he seems to have a bit more about him than Vic, but 3 good points and i'll be looking for the 3rd clean sheet in a row, in the next game.

Edited by Bill

I really can't vote - I did watch the game but the mixture of tiredness, ale and apathy got to me.

Thought moyes initial set up was poor. I thought his inclusion of Neville and cahill along with saha was daft, they have been so off it's untrue.

There really wasn't anything to get excited about, baines was our most potent attacking threat - that's not good. Anyhow 3 points and an indication that moyes is slowly coming round to the idea that a few of his stalwarts are now more belonging on the bench is good enough for me.

I'll be quick and say I haven't seen the game, only got news of the result a short time ago, Anichebe which came as a bit of a surprise leaving it late for the only strike of the game, fine way to start the new year, looking forward now with some new optimism about subsequent games including Tamworth coming up soon, I read bits and pieces that Moyes actually deployed a more attacking intent at times today which came as a bit of a pleasant surprise

I really don't know if MOTD will get a viewing tonight, I don't watch anymore for whatever reasons and we're usually on last or get about two minutes when they bother to feature us.

I really don't know if MOTD will get a viewing tonight, I don't watch anymore for whatever reasons and we're usually on last or get about two minutes when they bother to feature us.

Only the two games on today so we'll be on second with ten minute highlights (think that's what MOTD2 are contracturally limited by), if they can dig ten minutes out of thatunsure.png .

I wasn't actually sure if MOTD was even on, all I know is certain BBC personnel have less than nothing to do with themselves and so automatically assumed there would be a broadcast this night. I thought there was at least half a dozen other fixtures today, I know they spread them all over the end of year calendar but am surprised only two games went ahead today, been involved in other things away from soccer in my defense. Actually come to think of it, City on too as I understand it so the BBC beauts will probably show 75 per cent of the show for that and Toffees/WBA will seem something less attractive to them and we'll feature briefly after 'the main event'

As stated, don't think I'll even bother to tune in, someone even went as far to say that todays game was lousy anyway despite the three points

Im not voting this week, I really dont think there was a motm.

This.

I don't think the defence was even tested enough to give Distin MOTM, and we didn't do much attacking-wise.

Good 3 points, and we were the better team but I didn't think we were good either and it was a dire game of football, IMO.

Edited by Romey 1878

Well I got a chance to see highlights and lo and behold we didn't feature for too long. I especially liked the bit with Hodgson banging his head against some advertising boards at the end, that was quite amusing

Getting that goal hopefully will give Anichebe some confidence and he can take it on to subsequent fixtures, while not a classic game from what I saw the team was workmanlike at times and maybe just maybe there could be some end product at the end of the season