IGNORED

UEFA Euro 2012

Interesting fact about the Euro's -

1988 euros holland played russia in the final, a repeat of their opening game - 8 years later the euro final was czech v germany, again a repeat of the opening game - 8 years later greece portugal played in the opening match and the final and 8 years later spain played italy in their first match and now they'll meet in the final.

On top of that, each final's result mirrored the result from the opening games.

Opening Game

Holland 1 – 0 USSR

Final

Holland 2 – 0 USSR

Opening Game

Germany 1 – 0 Czech

Final

Germany 2 – 1 Czech

Opening Game

Greece 2 – 1 Portugal

Final

Greece 1 – 0 Portugal

With Italy and Spain drawing in the opening game, will we be looking at extra time or even penalties?

Italian jubilation was spoilt to a degree near Luton the other night as some soccer hooligan nonsense erupted on the streets, if you haven't read it.

A similar thing happened somewhere else after Portugals victory in 2004.

Bit fucking stupid though, if you're of a different country in the United Kingdom and beat the nation you're at, there's no sense in having wild celebrations and being belligerent with it, they were clearly asking for trouble.

Soccer games - Idiots - Liquor - wrong results - wrong place at wrong time - little bravados etc - it's a recipe for disaster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-18576404

I think they have the right to celebrate their victory, in whichever country they are in at the time.

I would celebrate in Manchester after an Everton Victory at Old Trafford, ..... dont think there's much difference.

Edited by Bill

Yes, but they could have gone about their business a little more discreetly

We went past an Italian restaurant on the night in question and they had taken flags down and closed for the night and parked a big fucking Van across the outside of premises, quite prudent I thought

Only difference would be an all British rivalry in Manchester, always scope for trouble though, be it domestics, or on the international stage, I always try to steer clear of any bullshit that goes with these things, let others fight it out between them, I'm not getting involved in disputes damn it. It would be great if you could just take all and any violence out of soccer rivalries, or any sport even, but it simply will never happen.

Looks like this has reached a dead end from a British perpsective but I'm actually looking forward to the game this night, no pressure, may the best team win, although I do want Spain to do it, and it will be stress free and I can have a few phlegmatic drinks and just let things fall as they may. Spain haven't beat Italy after 90 minutes in a competitive game since the 1920s so that may change tonight, they will want to rectify that statistic

No team has ever defended the european championships, so that has to change sometime, but they will be playing without a recognized striker again?

I said before it would be 0-0 after 120 minutes, lo and behold, it was, so tonight may be no different, I expect a lot of defensive soccer, no side wants to make a mistake on the biggest stage, I feel it could all be a bit tentative and cautious, but someone will have to win sooner or later, hope Spain do it too.

The reason why I'm hoping Italy win tonight, 'Spain have played a lower % of passes forward than any other side at Euro 2012'. Bad for football is Spain win imo will generate more excuses to play negative boring football. With the players they have the should be as entertaining as Arsenal not Stoke.

I think that both sides will set up on the defence tonight and I can't see anyone running away with it. I don't think that the first goal will be the be all and end all either because I believe that both sides have enough fire-power up front to hit back should they end up trailing, Spain will obviously be favourites having won both the Euro 2008 crown along with the FIFA World Cup but I think that Italy are more than good enough to beat them tonight. I said when the tournement was in its group stages that Italy would win the tournement and I'm actually kicking myself that I didn't put a tenner on it.

I hope Spain win because Iker Casillas is one of my footballing idols but if they were to be beaten I woulden't lose sleep over it.

(oh, and penalties are a really possibility IMO tonight).

I hate to say it but I agree with Jurgen Klinsmann. Spain haven't been 'bad' this tournement they have just done what they needed to do to get to where they are. Martin Keown was saying that they 'havent turned up this year' but frankly I find that a baffling statement given that they are in the last 2. They have not played killer attacking football but thats because they haven't needed to, they've played the likes of Italy and Croatia who need to be given respect in order to be beaten and have set up with a solid defence so that they can keep that vital clean sheet and come away with a tidy win.

I agree that Spain have been boring to watch but you can't say they are worse than in 2010, they have just used different tactics this time round.

We're going out for the night soon but just had a quick look at ITV and listen to national anthems etc and lo and behold the fat boring fuck Chiles is still in attendance with one or two other obscure soccer personalities all dressed up in their Anthony Price suits. Will keep up with events out and about tonight but hope Spain win... here comes the national anthems - eveyone stand up

Balotelli to score next? 10/1.

Still don't think Italy will score, by my record Casillas has conceded only one goal this tournement and that was against Italy in the group stage. I doubt that they will score tonight however, Spain will shut up shop next half and settle for a 2-0 win.

Balotelli to score next? 10/1.

Still don't think Italy will score, by my record Casillas has conceded only one goal this tournement and that was against Italy in the group stage. I doubt that they will score tonight however, Spain will shut up shop next half and settle for a 2-0 win.

Di Natalie looks lively, possibly worth a punt.

Glen Johnson & Gerrard in Garth Crooks team of the tournament....

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18657918

Nearly fell off my chair.....just what medication is the man onhuh.png ? I'd quite like sometongue.png .

To include Johnson and Gerrard you need Milner and Parker for babysitting them, the turtle has obviously had his head in his shell and just listened to the kopites on the radio.

My team

Casillas

Piszczek/Selassie Pepe Lescott Alba

Dzagoev Pirlo © Moutinho Ozil

Mandzukic Rosol*

Hard to include many Spain players as other than the final no player other than the keeper and maybe Alba have stood out imo. Note worthy (some just for one game) Di Natale, Ballotelli, Bendtner, Agger, Diarra, Lewandowski, Shirokov, Khedira, Salpingidis, Shevchenko, Mellberg, Lahm, Bender.

Flops

Szczeny

Rami Mathijsen Mexes Boateng

Robben Poulson Andrews ©

Rooney RVP Gomez

well, thank fuck thats over....

Exactly what I was thinking. I looked forward to the European Championships a lot but was totally ashamed of what came out of them. I just hope that the World Cup in 2014 will be better so that we can see some high scoring games.

EURO2012 - Team of the Tournament

Casillas

Pepe - Hummels - Alba

De Rossi - Alonso

Dzagoev - Pirlo © - Moutinho

Mandzukic - Fabregas

Subs: Buffon, Lahm, Terry, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Balotelli

My team

Think Hummels was exceptional, bar the all round poor Germany performance against Italy.

De Rossi, considering he's played with Siatica, has been immense.

Fabregas was briliant as a stand-in striker.

Others I can't argue with their selections

I'm not...against Italy he was immense. I f*cking hate the guy but credit where credit's due...

Agreed. He was one of our few good performers. I lost count of the amount of times he got a block in after our paceless, headless chicken midfield let waves of attacks come at us.