IGNORED

UEFA Euro 2012

BBC today....

"Ukraine not only dominated for long periods but were denied a perfectly good equaliser when Marko Devic's shot was several inches over the line before being hooked away by John Terry, but the goal was not given by the officials."

Am I insane?

It was offside wasn't it? How is that a perfectly good equaliser?

Would it not be a better idea, instead of spending a fortune on goal line technology, spending some money on getting offside decisions right? There's a miscarriage of justice once in a blue moon on goal line stuff but it happens all the time on offside goals being allowed/legal goals being disallowed.

Ridiculous.

If the "goal" last night had been allowed it would have been a travesty....why can people not grasp this? On the highlights programme on the beeb last night there was absolutely zero mention of it.

Winding me up dry.png (can you tellunsure.png ?).

two wrongs don't make a right..

But sometimes where natural justice is concerned they do (as in this case).

There's no sensible argument that the right and just outcome from that passage of play was a goal.

Plainly wasn't....just that the high profile sexy telegenic controversial second mistake draws all the interest, and the first was just another offside cock~up.

That's about the long and short of it for me. People say and I've heard, it's the best Euro' championships they can remember. Either these people are twelve years old or have amnesia or are just plain stupid I don't know, but that simply isn't the case. It became a lesser event once Holland exited, and both host nations are out as i understand, so it just feels diminished to an extent.

Last night was another frustrating experience. Still can't believe France messed up against Sweden either dry.pngsad.png It will be a massive relief when this competition is over, we can get back to domestics or even have a whole month or five weeks without any soccer at all even, get a bit of air etc.

Honestly, can we give Sweden some credit? Have you watched the game? Sweden made France look bad. They were so tight defensively that France ran out of ideas. They were also dangerous on the break and made France nervous about it. Add the performance by players like Källström (Lyon, not a bad player), Ibra (no intro needed) Larsson (cracking game) Wilhelmsson (when he came on he was a pain, no not a french loaf of bread, an ache, for the french defence.) Toivonen ran like a bat out of hell through out the game. Mellberg was excellent, his tackle which was the start of the attack that lead up to the first goal was almost as good as Glenn Hysens sliding tackle agains England at Wembley (for those of you that remember)

Give Sweden credit when credit is due. They kept England away from Spain and Italy look beatable.

For those that dont remember, here is Glenn Hysen vs England (1988)

Edited by Peter H

Funny how Septic Bladder didn't think we needed goal line technology after Lampard's goal against Germany but as soon as a decision benefits England its a necessity... Twat.

I thought exactly the same thing. Both Blatter and Plattini hate the English league and its football because it makes the most money (world wide appeal etc) and their respective leagues don't. And as you say, he point blank refused to accept that technology was needed after the Germany game but because of the way its benefited ENgland, he wants it now?

Also, lets say that goal had stood, were England not 1-0 up at the time? So doesn't that mean if they had have scored and the game ended a draw, wouldn't we have gone through anyway and still topped the group (based on other results).

Honestly, can we give Sweden some credit? Have you watched the game? Sweden made France look bad. They were so tight defensively that France ran out of ideas. They were also dangerous on the break and made France nervous about it. Add the performance by players like Källström (Lyon, not a bad player), Ibra (no intro needed) Larsson (cracking game) Wilhelmsson (when he came on he was a pain, no not a french loaf of bread, an ache, for the french defence.) Toivonen ran like a bat out of hell through out the game. Mellberg was excellent, his tackle which was the start of the attack that lead up to the first goal was almost as good as Glenn Hysens sliding tackle agains England at Wembley (for those of you that remember)

Give Sweden credit when credit is due. They kept England away from Spain and Italy look beatable.

For those that dont remember, here is Glenn Hysen vs England (1988)

[media=]

[/media]

I've watched the game since and I agree, Sweden are due a lot of credit. 2 games too late for them though but they made that France team look poor.

Funny how Septic Bladder didn't think we needed goal line technology after Lampard's goal against Germany but as soon as a decision benefits England its a necessity... Twat.

surely you're not surprised? everyone knows the guys feelings..i knew he'd kick up a stink as soon as i saw it

I didn't say Sweden didn't deserve their win the other night, it was merely a shock to me. Nobody could have seen that coming and I did want France to win the group, and because of that setback they missed out, so I was a little disappointed for sure.

I saw today that J Hart says 'The English are here (Euro 12) to win it.. I would imagine that would be each teams philosophy or way of thinking before the damn competition even started? I mean there's not much point in you turning up and thinking - 'Fuck this, let's all go home, we haven't got a chance etc', I did find that a bit of an asinine statement.

Tonight will be Portugal and the Czech Republic, winners play Germany or France or Spain, or someone huh.png but above all else, I expect Portugal to win and get into the last four, with Ronaldo anything is possible.

I can't see how Greece can cause any more surprises this night. They caused a massive shock over France at this stage 8 years ago and went on to win it, but for 2012, the Germans are stronger in every department, and over 90 minutes that will prove decisive. They had better win, the winners play the English in the semi finals I think, so Germany have to win, I am feeling fairly confident.

and so it proved.

I want this damn competition over with as soon as possible, but admittedly that game tonight was very good, by god the Greece side had it level at one stage and a mild panic set in but in the end it was safe enough, but I do worry about the Germans defense sometimes, any side that allows Greece of 2012 to score two against them (although I don't think the second was a penalty) can't be as awesome or good as some make out, but I do still think they'll take some stopping, English will have to beat Italy first (could be a long fucking night) and then Germany in the semi-finals if they make it, and then probably Spain in the Final, but it is possible, and that's what worries me.

Platini has revealed of course that for the next tournament in four years time, there will be 24 teams of all things, a first ever for the Euro championships, which will be held in his native France I think, 32 years since the last occasion when they won as host nation.

Far too many participants for the European Finals, they should just keep it as it is, although back in 1992 I remember, only 8 teams were involved, fucking nonsense etc.. I surrender.gif

Agreed. Spain are horrible to watch. I hope they fall behind early to Portugal and then get C-Ron'ed on the break. See where that ticky-tacky nonsense gets them then. France were wretched. Match was a pretty good indicator of how England measure up (ie they don't).

I watched some of the match, but the awful fat slimy shit Chiles was about the screen sooner or later, I just turned off visuals during post match analysis.

It's sometimes a sign of a good side that they can get a result without playing well, Yes France were poor and offered little attacking intent but they never really had much of a chance to get possession. I still think they will up their game next week and overcome Portugal, a repeat of Euro 2004 looks unlikely, and after that quite possibly a repeat of last time in 08 and a Final with Germany, another few games out the way now and moving closer to end of tournament etc.

I have hardly seen any of the football since just after the tournament started. (From the 'highlights' I have seen though I have been lucky) Have any of the games been good viewing?

Oh well I should be able to watch the England Italy match tonight. I think (just guessing here) Italy will win by at least two clear goals.

Not that Italy are that good, but I think England are NOT that good.