IGNORED

England

The exact same thing happens every week in the premiership. Players misjudge the header. This time we were punished for it.

I agree actually. Though its a little simplisitc

Anyway, I reckon if it was on the BBC we'd have won

at least we wouldnt have had Andy Townsend! Was he even an exceptional player?

Edited by Matt

Guest Nikica

Was there any need to replay the Suarez goal over and over and over in the last 10 minutes, it was Ridiculous. I hate ITV coverage.

Townsend is dire but the other bloke is off the hook. Tindsley is it?

Think the pictures are controlled by the Brazilians, not ITV.

Can I just say I thought Cahill was immense tonight. He was brilliant.

You are going to like this but I believe we would have progressed with:

Johnson Cahill Terry Cole = more robust. Obviously johnson is always going to be suspect. Wrong decisions by Roy IMO

Cole and Terry shouldnt be mentioned

if England want to progress, its amazingly simple: take a step back to stride forward and is proven. We need more investment in the youth, and have the "old guard" as the vast minority until we have a team of internationals of 23-25 to go forward.

the magic ingredient? a competent, adventurous manager. someone like Martinez, just not him. hes ours :P

Guest Nikica

Just seen that Cavani sitter again - can't remember if I mentioned it at the end of the game but his body shape was poor. He should have buried that.

if England want to progress, its amazingly simple: take a step back to stride forward and is proven. We need more investment in the youth, and have the "old guard" as the vast minority until we have a team of internationals of 23-25 to go forward.

the magic ingredient? a competent, adventurous manager. someone like Martinez, just not him. hes ours :P

That back four was never going to take us far. Italy won the World Cup in 2006 with a old squad. Terry and Cole more experienced and both better defenders than Jagielka and Baines.

I don't get this looking into the future. For me you play for the present.

Cole and Terry replace jags and Baines no harm done there. Baines won't be first choice and neither will jags

You look at that Italy team of 2006.

Cannavaro,Materazzi, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Totti, Del Piero, Luca Toni.

All men of age.

Guest Nikica

Ahhh, glad you mentioned the 2006 Italian defence. They were wonderful. They even did it with Nesta in the squad but injured - Materazzi was an able deputy although it's hard to forgive him for the Zidane incident.

^ Totti, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Gattuso were all under 30 at that time I believe. Totti 29, Pirlo 27, Gattuso 28, Zambrotta about 29 as well. I know ADP was in his early thirties, and Cannavaro was a bit older still. Not sure about Materazzi, Toni and Camoranesi. Tbh they were the perfect age.

Edited by Nikica

Cole and Terry replace jags and Baines no harm done there. Baines won't be first choice and neither will jags

You look at that Italy team of 2006.

Cannavaro,Materazzi, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Totti, Del Piero, Luca Toni.

All men of age.

youre comparing the best with the "best" England can offer, managed by someone who isnt Hodgson/Capello/Erikson/the other guy....

beers kicking in...

Ahhh, glad you mentioned the 2006 Italian defence. They were wonderful. They even did it with Nesta in the squad but injured - Materazzi was an able deputy although it's hard to forgive him for the Zidane incident.

^ Totti, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Gattuso were all under 30 at that time I believe. Totti 29, Pirlo 27, Gattuso 28, Zambrotta about 29 as well. I know ADP was in his early thirties, and Cannavaro was a bit older still. Not sure about Materazzi, Toni and Camoranesi. Tbh they were the perfect age.

That's men of age experienced. I don't get the need to plan for the tournaments ahead, that will come being in and around the squad. I'm Everton through and through but Terry and Cole are both more experienced and better defenders than Baines and Jagielka.

We were never going to get far with that back four

youre comparing the best with the "best" England can offer, managed by someone who isnt Hodgson/Capello/Erikson/the other guy....

beers kicking in...

Cole and Terry are in bracket with all those Italian players. Baines and Jagielka aren't. I don't drink Matt.

Cole and Terry are in bracket with all those Italian players. Baines and Jagielka aren't. I don't drink Matt.

they were, not now.

Baines and Jags are stepping stones. hopefully England get a manager to actually make the most of the talent coming through

Guest Nikica

That's men of age experienced. I don't get the need to plan for the tournaments ahead, that will come being in and around the squad. I'm Everton through and through but Terry and Cole are both more experienced and better defenders than Baines and Jagielka.

We were never going to get far with that back four

I know. I agree with you partly. I think a quality squad can have some exciting young players, some experienced starting players who are in their prime (often the core or spine of the team), and possibly a couple of older veterans who have played in tournaments for over 10 years.

Players in their prime e.g. 28 or 29 are perfect as they're old enough to be experienced yet young enough to still be physically and mentally at their peak. But let's be honest, that Italian defence was outstanding, their midfield was very good, and they had quality up front in Totti and then DP off the bench. Even Toni played quite well for them. Interestingly though I don't think Totti had his best tournament when they won the WC.

"Cole and Terry are in bracket with all those Italian players"

Cole was better than Grosso, but not Zambrotta if the latter ever switched to LB when Grosso wasn't about. I don't think Terry was ever at Cannavaro and Nesta's level but I know most down south won't agree. Those two are all-time great CBs in my eyes, especailly Nesta whom I consider the best defender of his generation.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

again disagree. despite rating Terry, I never got the Cole hype. irrelevent anyway, we need to look to the future rather than the recent past/present

Tbh I have never been a big fan of Cole either, but I know it's blasphemy to say that in the UK as he's very highly rated. I think he often made more mistakes than people would acknowledge. Still a talented player of course, but I don't think he was ever the best LB on the planet as claimed. Lahm now is better than he ever was imo - comfortably, and he can play both sides.

I rate cannavaro over Nesta. ROCK SOLID!

Fair enough, I know people who agree with that and others who don't. For me Nesta was the more elegant and slicker of the two, and Cannavaro the more action-orientated. Of course this is a generalisation as Nesta could mix it with people, and Cannavaro has some elegance, but I'm sure you see my point.

Again, there's no point dwelling on the back four: England are average to poor across the board. The defense gets hurt because of the lack of dominance in midfield. England fail to score more because of a lack of incisiveness up front. England needs a new generation of players.

as a team. on paper we're excellent.

if only we had a manager who could put it all together...

Guest Nikica

as a team. on paper we're excellent.

if only we had a manager who could put it all together...

Are they really 'excellent' though, or are they just some quite good players?

I mean we've been hearing about how it's the manager's fault for decades. Surely there comes a point when it's time to acknowledge that the players simply aren't at that very top level? We know Roy' shit but top managers like Capello haven't done well with England (admittedly he made mistakes). Should still be good enough to have a realistic shot of beating Uruguay though, and you could have.

Edited by Nikica