IGNORED

England

"Having waited behind Ashley Cole, Baines has earned his status as England’s first-choice. Yet what does he find once he gets there? A system which leaves him alone, exposed defensively, and unable to venture forward for fear of the gaps he will leave behind him...The key to good management is devising a system which gets the best from the players within it. It is why Roberto Martinez has had so much success at Goodison Park – he doesn’t ask his players to do things with which they are uncomfortable. Hodgson, it seems, creates a system, then shoehorns players into it. Baines has suffered, like Wayne Rooney has suffered and Danny Welbeck has suffered."

Spot on!

We have a history of picking archaic 'old school' managers. Could you imagine Chile playing a system like ours? Or even teams like Croatia? Do they play to the weaknesses of half of their own squad to make room for their 'best players'? I dont think they do, they play their best players in their best position and if they dont all fit then they dont all play. We need a manager who is going to have the balls to drop the players who arent the best option for the team whilst being able to keep them motivated enough to make the difference from the bench.

Going back to the two games that England have played and a lot has been made about the back 4. Now Im not going to say they were faultless, but they were left completely exposed by the poor choice of players in front of them. In the first game it was mainly down our left, with Rooney not able to fulfil his defensive responsibilies and Gerrard not having the legs or quality to cover and control the game. Against Uruguay our midfield were completely outbattled by a couple of real combative midfielders who were really pumped up for the game. If you think one of the Uruguay midfielders would have bottled the tackle that Gerrard did in the build up to the first goal, then you have another thing coming. Whenever you leave Cavani and Suarez running straight at your back 3/4 you are going to be in trouble, no matter how good you are. Anyone who thinks having Terry or Cole in place instead of Baines or Jags would have been the solution is talking out of their arse, especially when they have been playing for a defensive side like Chelsea who line their back 4 up along the width of the 6 yard box. They would have even more exposed than the lads we had out there.

The second goal was also a real shocker. Gerrard has to win that header properly first and foremost. Jagielka had no need to come forward because Gerrard should have picked the flight but even if he had, Cahill has got to to track the run of Suarez and thats a shame because he had done pretty well up to that point given the way the back 4 was being exposed.

The worst thing about that performance though was the lack of effort for probably 60-70 minutes of the game. When Barkley came on he brought some drive and ambition to our performance. It was in these stages where I thought we actually saw the real Wayne Rooney because he started getting involved centrally as a focal point rather than dropping too deep. Baines also showed his real quality in that spell too and showed more determination than anyone else on the pitch, it was almost as if the shackles had come off. Sturridge also started to show his quality because before that he was awful.

Now looking at this team tomorrow, we have all sort of problems. Foster is a really poor keeper, Jones shouldnt be playing, let alone at RB and Smalling also isnt good enough. Its good to see Shaw involved as this will be a good experience for him but Im disappointed to see that he has been put into a misfit 11. Lampard has shown that his legs have gone in the warm up games and he will be worse than Gerrard, but we do at least have some balance and attacking flair in behind Sturridge. I would prefer Milner in midfield instead of Lampard because I dont like him wide but at least he will keep his shape somewhat and do his defensive duties too. Barkley, Lallana and Sturridge can all link the play pretty well so how they combine will be interesting to see. Weirdly I think Lallana is both underated and overated. He is a good playing without being excellent. He does his job well, he works hard and he has a bit of quality and in some ways is a more technical and cultured version of James Milner. He is the type of player you would find in almost every half decent team across mainland Europe without necessarily being good enough to make the squad for the bigger nations. I dont think he is worth anywhere near as much as the figures being quoted and it wouldnt surprise me if he isnt an instant success wherever he ends up. Having said that I would have had him starting in every game so far and Id also have him at Everton for the right price!

For the love of...

We are going to be taking Gerrard (will be 36) and Lampard (will be 38) to Euro 16?! :crying:

I think Hodgson is more implying that players should not retirefrom international football. To be honest I agree with that. If you are 38 and playing and you get called up, you should go, simple as that, its the manager who decides.

The whole "retiring from international football" has been abused by egotistical footballers. The only one I kind of agreed with was Paul Scholes, he should never have been treated the way he was. Plus Wayne Bridge - purley to highlight the disgrace that was John Terry (another who spat his dummy out)

However... Ben Foster, Wes Brown, Paul Robinson, Luke Young, Chris Sutton, Jamie Carragher, Michael Carrick... all using the media as an opportunity to highlight their dissapointment and throw their big giant dummys out the pram was a joke.

Attitudes like this is what makes England a "poor team". Its all about them isnt it.

I think Hodgson is more implying that players should not retirefrom international football. To be honest I agree with that. If you are 38 and playing and you get called up, you should go, simple as that, its the manager who decides.

The whole "retiring from international football" has been abused by egotistical footballers. The only one I kind of agreed with was Paul Scholes, he should never have been treated the way he was. Plus Wayne Bridge - purley to highlight the disgrace that was John Terry (another who spat his dummy out)

However... Ben Foster, Wes Brown, Paul Robinson, Luke Young, Chris Sutton, Jamie Carragher, Michael Carrick... all using the media as an opportunity to highlight their dissapointment and throw their big giant dummys out the pram was a joke.

Attitudes like this is what makes England a "poor team". Its all about them isnt it.

I agree on the whole, but if these players who dont retire internationally take up spaces of up-and-coming players then no. But that comes down to the manager again.

I felt really sorry for Ricky Lambert; everyone else gets a game with nine changes last night but Sturridge keeps his place and when attacking subs are made it's Sterling and Rooney. Lambert got three minutes at the end of the Uruguay game. Unless he was injured I think that was a bit harsh. Also as he said he wanted everyone to have game time why not change the 'keeper at half time so Forster could have a go?

I felt really sorry for Ricky Lambert; everyone else gets a game with nine changes last night but Sturridge keeps his place and when attacking subs are made it's Sterling and Rooney. Lambert got three minutes at the end of the Uruguay game. Unless he was injured I think that was a bit harsh. Also as he said he wanted everyone to have game time why not change the 'keeper at half time so Forster could have a go?

He probably forgot... you know, his age and all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...