IGNORED

England

I think they've let someone go, who's got more productive potential than Rooney.

The people who said Rooney will be finished at 30 are looking to appear more correct by the day.

He has turned into something of a joke really, a botoxed, hair transplanted, undershirt wearing £250k a week player. He now has the England captaincy and in all honesty doesn't look fit to wear the shirt.

A pity really, one of the best 17 year old footballers i've seen. He's allowed his genetic disposition to put weight on to ruin a great career, caught smoking, returning from summer pounds overweight. The sight of him all pink and huffing at the end of a match is a shame. He will be a shadow of the player he was within the space of 2 years, as the decline is there for all to see.

Don't get me wrong, he will have achieved more than 80% of all footballers out there, but in reality he had more talent than 99% of them.

As for welbeck, I expect to see him really flourish at Arsenal. Some say he shinned the goal, which he did but technically he did the right thing, read the pass which bounced right before getting to him so overall he did well to steer it home.

Thought Rooney worked hard to be honest. Boring performance, but as usual not that bothered by the result.

Very disappointed in 2 of Swiss players, showed a lack of class which was surprising.

He always looks like he works hard. At the moment he looks like he has to work hard to do what used to be so much easier. Paul Parker wrote a quite cutting article on him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2741065/Wayne-Rooney-awful-Ex-Manchester-United-star-Paul-Parker-blasts-skipper.html

Don't think he's the type of person to take a wage cut Haf ;)

On a serious note, Wayne has been managed incredibly badly. Life choices, career moves, negotiation tactics. All shocking.

With better management, we'd have been talking about one of THE best talent to ever emerge from the game, instead we have a media victim, greedy, 'throw dummy out the pram' negotiating tactics, can't be bothered to turn up on big occasion, let the limelight get the best of him type of player that is on the wilt.

Don't think he's the type of person to take a wage cut Haf ;)

On a serious note, Wayne has been managed incredibly badly. Life choices, career moves, negotiation tactics. All shocking.

With better management, we'd have been talking about one of THE best talent to ever emerge from the game, instead we have a media victim, greedy, 'throw dummy out the pram' negotiating tactics, can't be bothered to turn up on big occasion, let the limelight get the best of him type of player that is on the wilt.

Can't disagree with that. He will probably point to his medals and say "look at that".... I would then point to Messi and Ronanldo and say "look at them". They made "world elite", I don't think rooney made world class.

He made stretford an extremely rich man.

I totally disagree with anyone who says Rooney has never been "World Class".

It's the same with Gerrard & Lampard both World Class players in their prime. For sure, they are a level below the likes of Zidane, Maradonna, Messi, Ronaldo. But there really isn't many players who'll ever reach that level.

I totally disagree with anyone who says Rooney has never been "World Class".

It's the same with Gerrard & Lampard both World Class players in their prime. For sure, they are a level below the likes of Zidane, Maradonna, Messi, Ronaldo. But there really isn't many players who'll ever reach that level.

What is world class? For me world class means that they would get into a world 11 for being the best or at least second best in their position.

Is or has rooney ever been that? No is the answer from me. He has scored great goals, had occassional great games but on the big stage has been found wanting time after time. He was at his best 18-23 years of age.

Lampard has never been world class, I do think Gerrard 2005-2007 was pretty close to it.

This has been done many a time. The definition of World Class isn't easily distinguishable between a set number of people.

However, for me it's a group of players who have positive affects at the highest level. I.e best leagues in the world and the Champions League. Of course the World Cup can be factored into this but with it being a short tournament and only every 4 years league standings are a better guidance.

Rooney has won the lot domestically. He's won the Champions League. But in all of this he's been a major contributor to the success. He has at his peak been amongst the best players in the world. Same with Gerrard and Lampard.

The Elite... Zidane, Messi, R9, R7 etc are above anyone else but it doesn't mean the players on the tier below aren't world class.

All Rooney's great games and great goals have come in Premier League games. He hasn't done it on the world stage for England or against the top club sides. When he was appointed England captain he said that he was honoured and was motivated to give his all for the team. The result: he had a very ordinary game against Switzerland.

I think that sums his career up. High expectation which never quite delivered. At the moment, I don't think he earns his place in the England team.

All Rooney's great games and great goals have come in Premier League games. He hasn't done it on the world stage for England or against the top club sides. When he was appointed England captain he said that he was honoured and was motivated to give his all for the team. The result: he had a very ordinary game against Switzerland.

I think that sums his career up. High expectation which never quite delivered. At the moment, I don't think he earns his place in the England team.

I agree. A very good player who should and could have been a great.

If he was Spanish we would be calling him shite based on his international tournament performances. To be fair to Torres, he has been world class before now.

I think it's pretty unfair that they can just march into the games after playing no part until then though. What should have been happening is that these youngsters should have been playing for them all a long. We promote players too quickly to the senior side.

good point, didn't think of that

Guest blueboy122

That's they way it should be done in my opinion.

Prove yourself in the younger age categories and the progress into the senior.

Any English lad who shows a tony bit of talent is rushed straight into the seniors with huge expectation placed on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

F Forster (Southampton), B Foster (West Brom), J Hart (Manchester City)

L Baines (Everton), G Cahill (Chelsea), N Clyne (Southampton), K Gibbs (Arsenal), P Jagielka (Everton), J Stones (Everton)

F Delph (Aston Villa), J Henderson (Liverpool), A Lallana (Liverpool), J Milner (Manchester City), A Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), J Shelvey (Swansea), R Sterling (Liverpool), A Townsend (Tottenham), J Wilshere (Arsenal)

R Lambert (Liverpool), W Rooney (Manchester United), D Welbeck (Arsenal)

England team. Soo happy Clyne's in, love Clyne. The best all round RB England have never used.

Don't think Townsend is deserving of a call up. Think the others pick themselves.

Didn't even notice! Well spotted. He deserves it for his versatility too.

Been dropped down (along with Luke Shaw) to the under 21s to strengthen them for their play-off games v Croatia.

Southgate,

‘Roy and myself work very closely every time there's a squad announced and clearly Luke and Calum have been around the senior squad already.

‘The fact it's a play-off game Roy was keen that those who he didn't think would start for him were with us. That's the joined-up thinking we're trying to put in place.

‘The boys have to come and have the desire to come and do that. They understand the situation because getting to the finals is important.’

Been dropped down (along with Luke Shaw) to the under 21s to strengthen them for their play-off games v Croatia.

Southgate,

‘Roy and myself work very closely every time there's a squad announced and clearly Luke and Calum have been around the senior squad already.

‘The fact it's a play-off game Roy was keen that those who he didn't think would start for him were with us. That's the joined-up thinking we're trying to put in place.

‘The boys have to come and have the desire to come and do that. They understand the situation because getting to the finals is important.’

Well spotted!

Personally I would line up with Chambers-Stones-Cahill-Baines. I think it would be by far our strongest back 4 but I imagine it will be Stones-Cahill-Jags-Baines which is worrying given how many goals we (Everton) have shipped this season! lol