IGNORED

England

That one free kick was all Rooney did in the whole game. He was very poor and missed two or three open goals. England don't have anyone up front who can head the ball, so they play everything on the ground into the penalty area and every shot is blocked. After Estonia went down to ten men, in one passage of play, when the ball was in the Estonia half, I counted six England players on the halfway line. Hodgson should have changed the formation but England continued to play the same which meant their spare man was just that - a spare man.

I dont understand why Hodgson persists with a diamond when we are looking to spread the play and open teams up?

Baines and Chambers look to be under instructions to rarely venture too far forward so we have no width and half the team end up inside the width of the 18 yard box getting in each others way.

I watched a little bit of the ROI game against Gibraltar and at least MON had the nouse to get his wingers to hug the touchline to great bundles of space for Keane and any other runners from midfield.

Under 21s through to the Euro finals after putting out Croatia (no Everton players involved, Garbutt benched to make way for Luke Shaw in both legs, bit harsh I think).

Spain knocked out by Serbia, why is Spanish football so poor suddenly? Fans must be going mental.

Another game I was at, strange to hear the commentary, "There were 75,000 in the stadium....every one of them expected England to trounce the Dutchmen....one mistake that everyone had made was to badly underrate the young Dutch side, Cruyff for example was magnificent." Cruyff was twenty-two at the time and even I (at nine) could tell he was something special and that the team were going places! My dad was so impressed he told us at half-time that he was going to be supporting Holland in the second half.

However, Ian Storey-Moore's goal should've stood I think, doesn't look offside to me and there's no hint of a foul; also was well pissed off when Bobby Charlton's "goal" was deemed to be after the whistle had gone, How often do refs blow up when an attack is on the edge of an area (apart from when we're playing Liverpool or United and we're the ones attacking of course)?

I remember this game as well. Banks was a great keeper. As I remember, England were knocked out of the ensuing World Cup by West Germany (who else?), although I seem to remember that Alan Mullery scored in that game.

That World Cup in Mexico still sticks in my mind. It kicked off with a 0-0 draw between Mexico and Russia. In the weeks before, you could buy these packs of cards with players/managers in the WC. I had all but three of them: Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, and Alf Ramsey. Then, after spending an afternoon with my grandad, he bought me another pack of cards, and, to my delight, in included both Hurst and Peters. Finally, I traded about 100 duplicates with my cousin for an Alf Ramsey card, which gave me the complete set. I wish I still had it.

• 4 weeks later...

On the occasion of his 100th cap, real shame (for him and England) that Wayne Rooney's best England moments were as an eighteen year old Everton player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30067555

If you'd have taken him to one side after he was injured in Portugal and said, "Wayne, you'll get more than a hundred caps and score more than anyone (I know he hasn't yet but he will) but that was the peak of your England career, it's all downhill from here." I wonder what he'd have said.

I know he's won a few things at United, but he's fallen well short of what he could/should have done for me.

On the occasion of his 100th cap, real shame (for him and England) that Wayne Rooney's best England moments were as an eighteen year old Everton player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30067555

If you'd have taken him to one side after he was injured in Portugal and said, "Wayne, you'll get more than a hundred caps and score more than anyone (I know he hasn't yet but he will) but that was the peak of your England career, it's all downhill from here." I wonder what he'd have said.

I know he's won a few things at United, but he's fallen well short of what he could/should have done for me.

Agreed, best 17 year old player I've ever seen by a Mile.

Guest blueboy122

His touch needs a lot of work, very clumsy player.

Really?

I thought that his touch was one of his better attributes.

He is one of those players who you could give the ball to in most situations and he is comfortable to receive.

His finishing was probably the attribute that let him down previously but he looked spot on tonight.

I like Welbeck always have to be honest and I wanted us to sign him as I think he will do very well at Arsenal.

He was also reasonably priced considering his age and of course he's English!

Guest blueboy122

Welbeck is getting better and better. As a "centre forward" he is night and day difference.

Ideal partner is sturrudge

Agreed.

I also think the same about Walcott at Arsenal.

No idea why Wenger plays him on the wing.

Walcott is superb when he's up top. Very good finisher as well.

His touch needs a lot of work, very clumsy player.

His touch is actually good, he holds the ball up really well now and is more composed which is where he needed to get better.

I remember reading ages ago that Rio Ferdinand rated him as the toughest player to mark at United. He said he would snap him up if he was a manager. As much as Rio is a non, he knows a bit about strikers.

Thanks mike, I was wondering about that. Question for you, is it equivalent ferociousness for England Scotland and England Ireland and England Wales, or is the England Scotland usually the most tense?

Definitely historically the Scotland match was the big one; mostly because Scotland used to be much better than they have been recently so the games were closely fought (while Wales and Northern Ireland were traditionally weaker). Up until 1984 the four teams played each other in the "Home Championships" every year but by the end there was a lot of violence/hooliganism at games, particularly England/Scotland, and it was stopped.

"The British Home Championship was discontinued after the 1983–84 competition. There were a number of reasons for the tournament's demise, including it being overshadowed by the World Cup and European Championships, falling attendances at all but the England v Scotland games, fixture congestion, the rise of hooliganism, the Troubles in Northern Ireland (civil unrest led to the 1980–81 competition being abandoned), and England's desire to play against 'stronger' teams. The fate of the competition was settled when the (English) Football Association, swiftly followed by the Scottish Football Association, announced in 1983 that they would not be entering after the 1983–84 Championship. The British Home Championship trophy remains the property of the Irish FA, and as a result Northern Ireland are still the champions of Britain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Home_Championship

Be very interesting to see what the atmosphere on Tuesday is like.

His touch is actually good, he holds the ball up really well now and is more composed which is where he needed to get better.

I remember reading ages ago that Rio Ferdinand rated him as the toughest player to mark at United. He said he would snap him up if he was a manager. As much as Rio is a non, he knows a bit about strikers.

I didn't notice his hold up play to comment on tbh. His awareness and touch though was disappointing, he completely ruined the chance at the end tapped the ball five yards away from himself.

I don't rate rio's enough to believe his opinion. It'd be different if welbeck was white or if utd wasn't trying to ditch him at the time.

How poor was Henderson again at the weekend? His pass completion was low which isnt good enough but what was worse was his work rate. When I watched him last season he didnt stop but I watched him pass the ball off and then walk forward with his head down far too many times at the weekend.

Hodgson keeps persisting with this diamond so that he can squeeze of all of his strikers in and get Sterling behind them. I would bet a large sum of money that if Liverpool hadnt adopted this formation at times last season we wouldnt be seeing England play it now. The man is an idiot and he has no ideas of his own.

We have a weak group, we should be playing with wide players who can help spread the play and create space. If we cram everyone through the middle we end up getting in each others way.

I think Scotland will be a wake up call or at least I hope so. They are committed and they wont treat this as a friendly whereas our lads will. If we play Wilshere and Henderson and they play like they did at the weekend we will get overrun. Start Welbeck with Barkley behind, Sterling one side with Wilshere and Milner deeper with maybe Townsend on the other wing and see how it develops. If Naismith is getting on the ball drop Wilshere into the lone holding role (or maybe Henderson would be better here if he starts or even Delph) and pull Barkley back to play alongside Milner.

How poor was Henderson again at the weekend? His pass completion was low which isnt good enough but what was worse was his work rate. When I watched him last season he didnt stop but I watched him pass the ball off and then walk forward with his head down far too many times at the weekend.

Hodgson keeps persisting with this diamond so that he can squeeze of all of his strikers in and get Sterling behind them. I would bet a large sum of money that if Liverpool hadnt adopted this formation at times last season we wouldnt be seeing England play it now. The man is an idiot and he has no ideas of his own.

We have a weak group, we should be playing with wide players who can help spread the play and create space. If we cram everyone through the middle we end up getting in each others way.

I think Scotland will be a wake up call or at least I hope so. They are committed and they wont treat this as a friendly whereas our lads will. If we play Wilshere and Henderson and they play like they did at the weekend we will get overrun. Start Welbeck with Barkley behind, Sterling one side with Wilshere and Milner deeper with maybe Townsend on the other wing and see how it develops. If Naismith is getting on the ball drop Wilshere into the lone holding role (or maybe Henderson would be better here if he starts or even Delph) and pull Barkley back to play alongside Milner.

Henderson is the new Gerrard. Him being banned is why they lost the league. Don't you know anything about football :shaking fist:

Well that's what the kopites say.