IGNORED

England

Hodgson is an FA yes man. Won't be in the media for being outrageous or offensive. Clean image. Serves the English FA when applying for tournament hosting and gatherings.

I genuinely believe the FA are happy that we're mediocre because the person who could manage England better, will probably be that little bit outspoken, off the cuff and unorthodox.

You know who I think would be good. IF Bournemouth get relegated, i'd like Howe to see what he can do. Young, exciting English manager?

Danny Mills dares to say it..

"Danny Ings is on the pitch. Would he have received an England call-up if he was still playing for Burnley?"

Absolutely no chance. You only have to look at Clyne to know the mentality of Hodgson. Or listen to what he said when he was asked what effect it'd have if Stones signed for Chelsea but wasn't a first-team regular.

The hodgasaurus must be having palpitations - Barkley playing well for England is like giving someone who is afraid of heights the penthouse suite at the top of trump tower.

He just wants the homely comfort of the henderson suite on the ground floor - just next door to the delph apartment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why no John Stones?

Spain v England (19:45 GMT)

Everton's Jonn Stones made Barcelona and Spain defender Gerard Pique's "World XI" - but there is no place for him in England's team tonight.

If the central defensive partnership of Chris Smalling and Stones is England's future, then surely this is the game to try it out?

If Phil Jones does not make it as an international footballer, he can't complain about lack of opportunities.

Get the shackles off

Spain v England (19:45 GMT)

Danny Mills

BBC Radio 5 live in Alicante

"I think Roy Hodgson needs to look at this team and take a few risks. We have seen England be a bit safe and methodical. Now is the time to tell Ross Barkley, 'don't bother defending, do something with the ball and run at them'. It does not matter if England lose, you want to see the shackles off and see the young players do well and prove themselves against the best. Sadly, I very much doubt that will happen."

England have had 5 shots on goal and every one has been scuffed. Barkley mainly to blame, he tries to bust the net instead of making a clean strike. England can't keep possession, keep giving the ball away with Sterling the chief culprit. Didn't know Carrick was playing until half-way through the first half. Can't believe that Hodgson still picks Jones.