IGNORED

England

Hodgson added that Rooney, who grew up in the Liverpool suburb of Croxteth, close to previous England captain Steven Gerrard's childhood home of Huyton, shared his predecessor's infectious passion.

"Everyone knows Wayne is not the sort of person, with his Liverpool accent, who is going to be able to stand up in front of a lecture room of people,"

"But he doesn't need to. All he has to do is make certain the players he is talking to understand where he is coming from.

"The great thing with Wayne, as it was with Steven, is the passion that they have for football, for their country and for their clubs.

"They can transmit that passion to a lot of those younger players. They can get their points across. They won't do it maybe quite as eloquently as someone like myself could, but that doesn't matter."

I think I'd be a bit offended by that if I was a scouser :huh:.

In fact, I am offended by it. Why is someone with a Liverpool accent less able to deliver a lecture than anyone else, even someone (for example) with a speech impediment?

Hodgson added that Rooney, who grew up in the Liverpool suburb of Croxteth, close to previous England captain Steven Gerrard's childhood home of Huyton, shared his predecessor's infectious passion.

"Everyone knows Wayne is not the sort of person, with his Liverpool accent, who is going to be able to stand up in front of a lecture room of people,"

"But he doesn't need to. All he has to do is make certain the players he is talking to understand where he is coming from.

"The great thing with Wayne, as it was with Steven, is the passion that they have for football, for their country and for their clubs.

"They can transmit that passion to a lot of those younger players. They can get their points across. They won't do it maybe quite as eloquently as someone like myself could, but that doesn't matter."

In fact, I am offended by it. Why is someone with a Liverpool accent less able to deliver a lecture than anyone else, even someone (for example) with a speech impediment?

What the hell is he doing saying something so stupid? As you said, it is offensive and something every scouser will take offend to as they should. One's accent shouldn't mean he or she can't stand and and talk in front of people. Shocking statement.

Hodgson showing his own eloquence by being a balloon with this statement. Wow! This man should retire to a nursing home.

dunno wot der fuck use talkin about larrrr

Edited by Matt

What the hell is he doing saying something so stupid? As you said, it is offensive and something every scouser will take offend to as they should. One's accent shouldn't mean he or she can't stand and and talk in front of people. Shocking statement.

Ken Dodd hasn't done too bad.

Oh come on. He wasn't talking about anybody with a scouse accent. Just Rooney. And he's dead right.

No he wasn't because he mentioned Gerrard in the same statement,

And if he'd left out "with his Liverpool accent" there'd be no problem, and he'd be right as you say it, but the accent is irrelevant so he shouldn't have drawn attention to it.

2 up at half time from 2 set pieces.

Welbeck has missed 3 chances from within 7 yards. 1 was difficult but 2 were sitters.

England have been too slow and predictable though. You know what you get with San Marino, I would have liked to have seen a plan on how to cut them open.

2 up at half time from 2 set pieces.

Welbeck has missed 3 chances from within 7 yards. 1 was difficult but 2 were sitters.

England have been too slow and predictable though. You know what you get with San Marino, I would have liked to have seen a plan on how to cut them open.

Aside his goal, what was most important was the way his runs dragged 3 of the 8 San Marino defenders out of position...

7 goals in last 8 games for club and country.

Edited by Hafnia

Rooney just looks ridiculous now. His hair, the botox, the need to take all free kicks. His ego has run away with him at the time that his ability has declined.

Welbeck and Sturridge is the future in that forward line - pace, athleticism. Rooney does not deserve to beat Charltons record IMO.

Rooney just looks ridiculous now. His hair, the botox, the need to take all free kicks. His ego has run away with him at the time that his ability has declined.

Welbeck and Sturridge is the future in that forward line - pace, athleticism. Rooney does not deserve to beat Charltons record IMO.

If Rooney beats Charlton and Greavesie's record it won't mean much. When they played, there weren't as many international games and what there were were against top teams. No easy San Marino games then.

If Rooney beats Charlton and Greavesie's record it won't mean much. When they played, there weren't as many international games and what there were were against top teams. No easy San Marino games then.

I saw England win 5-0 at Wembley twice! v France in 1969 (including Geoff Hurst hat-trick) and Cyprus in 1975 (Malcolm MacDonald got all five) :).