IGNORED

England

I don't feel I've enjoyed an England game for years. Just the same. Dire. Uninspiring stuff. Hyped up media machine, with bias coverage and patronising "experts". I just can't like it anymore. And I realised tonight I dislike a lot of the England team, for one reason or another.

I'm not a fan of watching rugby (used to play at a very good level) but I enjoy watching England rugby much, much more. Honest coverage, capture the pride even in defeat and gets you hooked.

They could have won by 30 tonight and I'd have still found it dull.

Phil McNulty...

John Stones (centre-back) 7
Elegant and composed as ever and also showed glimpses of how he will help England break out of defence with the ball, particularly with one first-half run.
Phil Jagielka (centre-back) 5
Solid as ever but was pretty much a spectator for most of the match. The mark is a reflection of his redundancy rather than performance.
Ross Barkley (forward) 7
A good night for this wonderfully gifted Everton youngster. Scored his first England goal and was always looking to try things. Even the rather hard-to-please Mr Hodgson was impressed.

I don't feel I've enjoyed an England game for years. Just the same. Dire. Uninspiring stuff. Hyped up media machine, with bias coverage and patronising "experts". I just can't like it anymore. And I realised tonight I dislike a lot of the England team, for one reason or another.

I'm not a fan of watching rugby (used to play at a very good level) but I enjoy watching England rugby much, much more. Honest coverage, capture the pride even in defeat and gets you hooked.

They could have won by 30 tonight and I'd have still found it dull.

Euro 96 for me, completely agree with you.

Usually I'd be calling "meetings" during the Euros or WC but last year I was utterly uninspired to even watch the games I recorded.

Amused by the Telegraph Sport 'marks out of 10'. Delph, who lasted less than a minute, got 6. Oxlade-Chamberlain who played the whole 90 minutes got 5. Barkley, who played 89 minutes didn't feature. Funniest of all, Rooney got 7.!!!

It's repeated online. How ridiculous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11852544/England-2-Switzerland-0-player-ratings-Luke-Shaw-stands-out-as-Rooney-reaches-50-international-goals.html

Leighton who? Great management Woy...

England boss Roy Hodgson believes Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw can go on to have a career like Ashley Cole, who won 107 caps.

Shaw, who made six international appearances and never been on a losing England side, struggled for fitness last season following a £27m move from Southampton to Old Trafford in June 2014.

"I would advise Luke to study Ashley, look at what he did for England and set his sights on the same thing," said Hodgson.

"He's still only 20 and if he keeps going then he's on track to be another Ashley Cole.

"It's nice to see Luke back, playing confidently and showing the form that got him the move to Manchester United. We've always believed in him."

Leighton who? Great management Woy...

England boss Roy Hodgson believes Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw can go on to have a career like Ashley Cole, who won 107 caps.

Shaw, who made six international appearances and never been on a losing England side, struggled for fitness last season following a £27m move from Southampton to Old Trafford in June 2014.

"I would advise Luke to study Ashley, look at what he did for England and set his sights on the same thing," said Hodgson.

"He's still only 20 and if he keeps going then he's on track to be another Ashley Cole.

"It's nice to see Luke back, playing confidently and showing the form that got him the move to Manchester United. We've always believed in him."

I'll be surprised if Leighton is anything other than back-up LB (at best) from now on tbh.

And I'm ok with that because, although it hasn't entirely been his doing, he's looked pretty abysmal for England with the odd glimpse of his Everton form.

I'll be surprised if Leighton is anything other than back-up LB (at best) from now on tbh.

And I'm ok with that because, although it hasn't entirely been his doing, he's looked pretty abysmal for England with the odd glimpse of his Everton form.

Fair enough, but I think the key phrase in Hodgson's assessment and the reason he's talked about in such glowing terms is "...the move to Manchester United...".

Fair enough, but I think the key phrase in Hodgson's assessment and the reason he's talked about in such glowing terms is "...the move to Manchester United...".

I agree - the hodgasaurus has no ability to judge a player for himself, he relies on a players move to Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea as a justification for selection - see Phil Jones, Clyne, Cahill, Henderson.

His insecurities in this area means that despite Ronaldo and Messi being absolute world class susperstars - he selects Mascherano as his worlds best player. He needs to appear to know more than the man on the street to try and enforce this "I know my stuff".

Oh no doubt that Hodgson's reasoning behind the change is suspect but Baines not being England's first choice LB is more than fair I reckon. For whatever reason he just doesn't translate how good he is for us into playing for England.

Oh no doubt that Hodgson's reasoning behind the change is suspect but Baines not being England's first choice LB is more than fair I reckon. For whatever reason he just doesn't translate how good he is for us into playing for England.

You'd have to assume that'd be down to the manager I'd have thought.

• 3 weeks later...

We call players up to the senior squad far too early. It's something our manager's don't seem to understand is a problem.

The FA should make a stand. Unless you're 23 or over, you can't represent the full England team.

Like Spain did. Stay in the U21's till you win something or do well enough on the international stage to justify the call up. 13 games for the U21's, not enough for me. Same goes for Ross, John, Raheem....