IGNORED

England

Guest Nikica

Same line-up but Rooney playing behind Sturridge in the hole.

If I recall you don't think he should play there either do you? In pre-tournament teams I put him there but that was me falling into the trap of being compelled to include him as a 'big name'. His best and only position is up front as a number 9. Probably best to play him there or not at all.

If I recall you don't think he should play there either do you? In pre-tournament teams I put him there but that was me falling into the trap of being compelled to include him as a 'big name'. His best and only position is up front as a number 9. Probably best to play him there or not at all.

Not really but it's better than him being on the left!

Guest Nikica

Not really but it's better than him being on the left!

Agree, but it's still trying to shoehorn him into the team though. Shades of Barca altering to 3-4-3 in 2012 to accommodate Fabregas. The difference probably being that Rooney is arguably England's most talented player and Fabregas wasn't in the top three most talented Barca players.

As others have said, I don't really like this 'picking your best players and then playing square pegs in round holes'. Select a game plan, work on it, and select the best players to execute the plan.

Who knows, Rooney might play like Maradona tonight and make mugs of us all.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Gerrard being at fault for a goal. :rofl: FFS how much longer is he going to keep getting away with it?

Think England have been less impressive than they were in the first half vs Italy. Wouldn't say you have played THAT badly per se; it just hasn't been a good performance. Rooney was unlucky with that FK, and I can't make my mind up about the header - on one hand it's above his head slightly, but on the other he's a fucking yard out. Surely he has to manage to get it in. He's played relatively well though.

Sterling had one nice run, think the CBs have looked average. The ball keeps bouncing off of Welbeck and Sturridge has been dangerous in flashes. Henderson is doing as well as he can considering Gerrard's 'performance'.

Johnson and Baines aren't getting forward enough on the overlap. I think they're scared of Rodriguez and Suarez doing them on the counter, especially as Gerrard doesn't seem to want to fill in for his full-back. Roy pragmatism.

Just my thoughts, some of you may or may not disagree.

Mike - I know what you mean about club over country (or did, before my issues with Rangers). There's just something really special about international tournaments.

Edited by Nikica

England playing a little better than in the previous game, but still poor.

Until a few weeks ago, everyone knew that England would struggle to win a game, but the press did an effective job at raising expectations. Right now, it looks like the original expectations were correct. This England team is really not up to it. It's going to take a biig effort to overcome Uruguay's lead, but you never know. Miracles do happen.

BTW, I've been watching carefully after Miguel's observations in the previous game. There remains acres of space in front of Baines.

Until a few weeks ago, everyone knew that England would struggle to win a game, but the press did an effective job at raising expectations. Right now, it looks like the original expectations were correct. This England team is really not up to it. It's going to take a biig effort to overcome Uruguay's lead, but you never know. Miracles do happen.

BTW, I've been watching carefully after Miguel's observations in the previous game. There remains acres of space in front of Baines.

Better than against Italy???? What!!! No chance

Guest Nikica

Yeah. That's the problem really - they went into this tournament not hyped (by English standards). Then a week prior to the tournament it's all 'no need to be afraid of Italy'. Lose to Italy ' no need to be afraid of Uruguay' (which I partly agreed with, to be fair). In the game earlier 'we don't need to fear Colombia or Ivory Coast'. Both teams had played well and England had lost their first game when that was said.

It's just ludicrous, it really is. The media cannot help themselves.

Thought England played better in the first half versus Italy than the second half. But as I've said, Italy could have stepped it up at any moment. England played better early because the Italians cleverly paced themselves.

Edited by Nikica