IGNORED

England

By that logic we should play Mo Farrah on the wing; he'd cover shit loads more distance than Rooney so you'd not be able to question his work rate either. Agree with Haf, how far you run is largely irrelevant.

You would though.

Questioning someone's work rate who covered the most blades of grass all game is absolutely ridiculous.

He offers a lot more than Sturridge.

Every Italian pundit/player before the game when interviewed mentioned one player off their own back Rooney and a Rooney alone.

They wern't interested in anyone else. Cannavaro just kept saying Rooney is a special player, he can hurt you etc etc.

Rather listen to them than the English journalists. They know they've played against him.

Cannavaro isn't exactly the pundit who I would listen to regarding Rooney - I wasn't aware of him playing against rooney in a number of years, Rooney is the most marketed and hyped England player.

I'll ask a question, "when was the last time you seen Wayne Rooney play well in a major international competition?" Go back to 2004 when he was a raw, energetic, player who had something to prove. He did prove he was a quality player.

Since then for me he has rested on the repuatation he built up, he believes he should be the first name on the sheet and that arrogance shows despite his form and fitness supporting it. Put him on the bench - wound him, make him know his £300k a week deal means nothing - performances count. That is the only way we will get to see that quality Wayne Rooney.

Cannavaro isn't exactly the pundit who I would listen to regarding Rooney - I wasn't aware of him playing against rooney in a number of years, Rooney is the most marketed and hyped England player.

I'll ask a question, "when was the last time you seen Wayne Rooney play well in a major international competition?" Go back to 2004 when he was a raw, energetic, player who had something to prove. He did prove he was a quality player.

Since then for me he has rested on the repuatation he built up, he believes he should be the first name on the sheet and that arrogance shows despite his form and fitness supporting it. Put him on the bench - wound him, make him know his £300k a week deal means nothing - performances count. That is the only way we will get to see that quality Wayne Rooney.

+1

You would though.

Questioning someone's work rate who covered the most blades of grass all game is absolutely ridiculous.

"work rate" needs to be productive. In his 5k plus running - where was he when Baines was continually exposed by 2 men? He has a 25% success in his duels being won - Poor, very poor.

As I've said before.

When was the last time any England player had a good tournament. Rooney always the scapegoat

Gerrard 2012 - dragged us to the quarter finals basically.

Rooney isn't a scapegoat, his level of performance for England is not near his club level.

Of all other players, you can say that their international perfromance levels at least mirror their clubs, not Rooney, he looks a different player.

But if he's that good and easily England's best player you'd expect him to step up during a tournament wouldn't you?

Could say exactly the same for Messi. The fact of the matter is England as a whole have been crap for near on 10 years. Rooneys era.

The expectations always fall solely on him and he wasn't anywhere near as bad as people are making out against a defensively solid team who will go very far.

Rooney for me as a player is disappointing... for all that massive potential he had at 17, all I see now is an overpaid, arrogant, prima donna who doesn't look after himself.

He was always going to be a very good player as a "minimum" - he already was at that stage at 16! - since then apart form the odd awesome performance at club level you hear more about transfer requests, fall outs, fitness issues etc etc.

He came to united a technically better player than Ronaldo, more polished, hard working, physically more robust. What happened since then??? Ronaldo took his talents and worked hard, got rid of his flat track bully tag and became the best.

Guest blueboy122

He offers a lot more than Sturridge.

Every Italian pundit/player before the game when interviewed mentioned one player off their own back Rooney and a Rooney alone.

They wern't interested in anyone else. Cannavaro just kept saying Rooney is a special player, he can hurt you etc etc.

Rather listen to them than the English journalists. They know they've played against him.

Agreed Rooney is by a long way our best player.

Sturridge has had a good season but Rooney is a different gravy. He is a phanomenal player.

Guest blueboy122

As I've said before.

When was the last time any England player had a good tournament. Rooney always the scapegoat

Exactly. The same logic could be used for Messi when playing for Argentina he has never performed for his country do Argentina drop him?

Absolutely not, they know what a special player he is just like Rooney.

People have said Rooney should be dropped but there's no way he should. That cross for England's first goal not any other player on that pitch could have crossed it like that, he looked up and put it on a plate for sturridge it was amazing to see a lot of players just hit and hope with crosses but that from Rooney was beautiful.

Drop him for Adam Lallana? Pfft please. Lallana is a good little player but over Wayne Rooney. No chance.

Exactly. The same logic could be used for Messi when playing for Argentina he has never performed for his country do Argentina drop him?

Absolutely not, they know what a special player he is just like Rooney.

People have said Rooney should be dropped but there's no way he should. That cross for England's first goal not any other player on that pitch could have crossed it like that, he looked up and put it on a plate for sturridge it was amazing to see a lot of players just hit and hope with crosses but that from Rooney was beautiful.

Drop him for Adam Lallana? Pfft please. Lallana is a good little player but over Wayne Rooney. No chance.

The cross was decent - in the corridor of uncertainty, but lets get this right "he is an international footballer", thats what is expected at that level.

He had 3 shots 2 snatched and one blazed over the bar after he took it off Barkley who ran for the return. At international level thats not good enough, Sturridge had 3 shots, 2 on target 1 goal. Simple as that.

Reaction of Spanish commentators to Rooney's corner near the end: mocking laughter. Reaction of English commentators to Rooney's corner: "haven't seen anything like that in ten years." It was embarrassing.

Hodgson can't drop Rooney, though, because the CEO of Nike would be on the phone.

kinda like the 1998 world cup, the Nike poster boy for Brazil was Ronaldo http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/events/1998/worldcup/news/1998/07/13/nike_ronaldo/

No way in a million years should Ronaldo have played in that final, a seizure of any description leaves the sufferer "exhausted" for hours. Apart from that it was a massive risk to the players health.

My feeling was at the time that Nike had an awful lot to do with it.

I know I keep harking back to it but we only sparked in the '86 World Cup when we were forced by injury and suspension to leave out our two "undroppable" superstars, Wilkins and Robson; not to mention the controversial omission of Jimmy Greaves for Geoff Hurst in the final in '66. Greaves (undoubtedly the better striker) was back to fitness after being injured in the last group game and the press and public opinion were demanding he came back in; but Ramsay picked what he thought was the best team.

No player should ever be picked just on his name.

I know I keep harking back to it but we only sparked in the '86 World Cup when we were forced by injury and suspension to leave out our two "undroppable" superstars, Wilkins and Robson; not to mention the controversial omission of Jimmy Greaves for Geoff Hurst in the final in '66. Greaves (undoubtedly the better striker) was back to fitness after being injured in the last group game and the press and public opinion were demanding he came back in; but Ramsay picked what he thought was the best team.

No player should ever be picked just on his name.

Exactly this. Look at France last night, a team that would have benefitted from Nasri's "ability" - however did they miss him? Nope. Very strong.

I'm not saying Rooney is a trouble maker, but he has FAR too much to say IMO. Standing over free kicks, taking corners, stealing ball off Barkley, running over to the line to compain about how he was finding it on the left. It all smacked of the over indulged school captain who thinks he is above everyone else.

He comes out with nonsense about it being all about the team - I do not buy that for a second, he is on crusade to prove his doubters wrong and it is manifesting itself all wrong. The ego is getting in the way. If the Ox is fit I would play him or Lallana on the left, Rooney can watch and get angry - I hope it means that he finally starts asking questions off himself rather than everyone else.

"work rate" needs to be productive. In his 5k plus running - where was he when Baines was continually exposed by 2 men? He has a 25% success in his duels being won - Poor, very poor.

His work rate was productive. He got an excellent assist. Baines was awful.

I want to return to the good old days, bring back some of the great footy songs from the past ....

For example:

"We're shite, and we know we are.

We're shite, and we know we are.

We're shite, and we know we are.

We're shite, and we know we are."

Edited by Rubecula

Everyone slagging Rooney of except real footballing people. Every decent pundit foreign or British backing Rooney.

Clueless to think otherwise

so naive cotto. every pundit has an agenda, either to promote their old team, promote their old friends, or promote their country. none of them are unbiased, they are all overly biased.

just cause the lads on here aren't on television doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about, some of these guys have been watching football longer than the pundits have been alive. i'll take their word over a pundit any day of the week.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Everyone slagging Rooney of except real footballing people. Every decent pundit foreign or British backing Rooney.

Clueless to think otherwise

Shearer said he should be played centrally or not at all, so the backing isn't unconditional; I wouldn't disagree with that but I wouldn't hesitate to sub him if he doesn't perform.

I agree with you, the criticism is unjust. But backing up your argument with "pundits say so" is daft - even the good ones talk a lot of bullshit...

Not when it's almost universal across all pundits especially foreign. Not one has said drop him. Football people... Not journalists and forum members. I know who I'd rather listen to.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Not when it's almost universal across all pundits especially foreign. Not one has said drop him

I still agree with you regarding Rooney, crazy to drop him, but I will make my own opinion based on what I see. Pundits talk so much shit, I struggle to know whats worth listening to and whats not. Not to mention they are highly prone to media band-wagonning...

so naive cotto. every pundit has an agenda, either to promote their old team, promote their old friends, or promote their country. none of them are unbiased, they are all overly biased.

just cause the lads on here aren't on television doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about, some of these guys have been watching football longer than the pundits have been alive. i'll take their word over a pundit any day of the week.

This has to go down as one of the worst EVER Edited by MiguelCotto

I still agree with you regarding Rooney, crazy to drop him, but I will make my own opinion based on what I see. Pundits talk so much shit, I struggle to know whats worth listening to and whats not. Not to mention they are highly prone to media band-wagonning...

Not when they all agree.

Also they are going completely against the media on this.

Edited by MiguelCotto