IGNORED

England

Funny! We lived for three years in south Florida. Anyone from there will tell you that, like clockwork during the summer months, heavy thunderstorms, with intense thunder and lightning and torrential rain, will show up between 4pm and 7pm. I have no idea why they would play the game during those hours! It should have been played around 8pm, but I suppose that's too late for English TV broadcasters to secure an audience back home.

Looks like back to the "first team" again tonight...

England starting XI: Hart, Johnson, Baines, Gerrard, Cahill, Jagielka, Henderson, Rooney, Lallana, Sturridge, Welbeck.

Manager digging his heels in on Rooney (in) and Barkley (out) apparently. Stupid man.

On the positive side, I'd rather Wellbeck or Rooney get injured than Barkley.

I can see me falling asleep watching our late games during this World Cup. England are so utterly boring to watch. No imagination whatsoever. Even the players who have been exciting in the league have it sucked out of them playing for England - just look at Lallana. He's shown bits and pieces of his Southampton form but he doesn't look half the player for England. It's like caution and safety is drilled into them as soon as they get in the squad.

The only similarity with Barca is in the number of passes. The difference is Barca's passes are quick, sharp and penetrating. England's are backwards and sideways, mainly between the back four. Even then we manage to give the ball away on occasions. If Lampard or Wilshire play any part in this World Cup then we are done for. I would also start with Rooney on the bench. Barkley and Sterling to start.

Reading too much into these friendlies is dangerous, after all Italy did draw with Luxembourg but even still its not looking particularly great.

Hart, Jags, Cahill and Baines pick themselves. Johnson has been poor in every game so far but Im not sure if we have a better option unfortunately.

Gerrard and Henderson have been decent enough together but after that it doesnt look good. Given Gerrard is already suffering from niggles his chances of playing every game is severly in doubt which leaves Lampard who has lost his legs completely and Wilshere seems to keep turning over the ball and his chances of not getting injured are slim as well. I would probably have Milner as my first rotation for Henderson as he at least has that engine and workrate that Gerrard will need his playing partner to have. Milner hasnt been played in the centre of midfield yet so that looks unlikely! We could regret not bringing Barry because he would have been the perfect foil for Gerrard given the way we are attempting to play.

We have options in the attacking 4 positions but Sturridge is missing with chances he should bury, Rooney hasnt turned up yet and Welbeck hasnt shown me anything in the two games he has played a part in. We have some real raw quality in those positions with the likes of AOC, Barkley and Sturridge along with the slightly more cultured Lallana. Although the latter nor his ex team mate Lambert have done a great deal.

I dont have too much of a problem with controlling the tempo and slowing the game down as long as we can quicken it up when we need to. The conditions are going to be difficuly and being able to play in bursts will be essential. The heat and humidity in the first game will be a real leveller. Italy is generally hotter than it is in the UK but I doubt that it is by much and given Italy are a difficult team to beat in the WC, catching them first time out in tricky conditions could be the time to get them.

Old Roy Hodgson is getting on my nerves a bit with all this "our kids aren't up to it they might come good in the future" about Barkley &Co. So he's saying we won't win it if they play too much. Fair enough. That would indicate he thinks we're total no-hopers without them because the rest of the clueless fuckers aren't even going to give Costa Rica a sleepless night!

Put up or shut up, Roy, you prick!

Phil Neville jumping in to defend Rooney...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27793494

But he kind of spoils by tacitly admitting that Wayne's been shite at every tournament since he was a blue.

"I'm certain he will want to deliver in this tournament like he did at Euro 2004,"

And I'm certain he's wanted to deliver in every finals since; but he hasn't.

Guest Nikica

I didn't really rate England's performances against Honduras and Ecuador. It's difficult to read anything into pre-tournament warm-up games, but looks more of the same one-paced, turgid shit.

Apparently Lawrenson said that no Italians would get in the England team. How can these morons be paid to spout such tripe?

Agree somewhat with what Bailey says above. Gerrard's Hollywood passing and ageing legs will probably be found out in this tournament. Not that I've ever rated his England performances in the past anyway.

England have some good young players but Hodgson is too clueless and old-fashioned to use them properly.

Edited by Nikica

I think we probably have a slight issue as to whether either Rooney or Sturridge are really good enough to lead the line on their own.

The year Ronaldo left, Rooney did this really well at Utd and since that season he has found himself playing much deeper again. As I have said before, I do think he should be played as a pure centre forward, played purely to score goals and let the 10 men behind him worry about creating anything. Obviously he still needs to link the play but I would prefer to see him run in behind defenders than drop deep.

Sturridge on the other hand is a player who has greatly benefitted from playing alongside Suarez this season. I genuinely believe that if you take out Suarez, Sturridge's goal return would probably have halved this season and on the flip side, if Suarez had played with Lambert/Rooney/Welbeck etc then their goal tallys for the season would have also increased. Sturridge has that unpredictability about him that I quite like, in some ways bit like Barkley, but I do worry whether he will take the chances we need him to. The last couple of games have shown that he gets himself into the right positions but hasnt finished teams off, but he has also shown that he can score from nowhere.

Its not an easy choice for Hodgson as he will get stick no matter which team he picks.

Did anyone happen to see this during the game against Peru?

Yes that was amazing!

'A bit of breaking news coming out of the Italy camp to bring you ahead of their game against England later. Veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon looks set to miss the game after injuring his ankle in training on Friday, with Paris St-Germain's Salvatore Sirigu set to deputise.

Buffon, 36, tweeted: "There are many ways to be important, even if you can't be a protagonist on the pitch...So go Salvatore."'

Guest blueboy122

Not a bad game to be honest as we are all used to watching dross from England.

Few points that I have noticed. Baines is being hung out to dry by Rooney who I think however is being played all wrong. Wayne Rooney is England best player that is fact and shoving him out wide to accommodate him is pathetic we would play better without him in that position he needs to play up top or in the hole with the two wingers bombing on or the easy option and swap Welbeck although he has been doing a job of closing down the ball.

Think the midfield has been pretty useless Pirlo isn't even in 1st gear and he is already giving our boys a masterclass.. Controlling the tempo, making the right choices etc. an absolute Wizard.

Sterling has been a bright spark although been quite impressed.

I am in Miami watching the game so have the fortune of seeing Roberto on espn...Got a lovely little number on tonight.. Light blue suit. Very in season.