IGNORED

England

Jags, Baines and Barkley been given their shirt numbers ahead of the WC....

Baines looks as if he's 1st choice LB with his familiar no. 3 shirt

Jags, again looks to be a starter with the same shirt as he wears at Everton, no.6, with the no.5 shirt going to Cahill.

Barkley not been given his usual no. 20, but no.21, with Adam Lallana being handed no. 20.

Edited by AidanLewis

Guest blueboy122

I fear for England with Jags at the helm. He's a solid premiership defender but world level is a bridge to far IMO.

I rate him more than I do other centre halves in the tournament even for the better sides.

I rate him more than I do other centre halves in the tournament even for the better sides.

This.

I agreed with the comment about Stones but i still rate Jags pretty highly. I still think he's a better defender than Cahill as well. I think a Jags/Stones Partnership would work really well in theory. Though Stones isnt as quick as Distin, he's still pretty quick and I personally think Jags is better on the ball than Distin as well. Cant remember them playing together but i think they'd work.

This.

I agreed with the comment about Stones but i still rate Jags pretty highly. I still think he's a better defender than Cahill as well. I think a Jags/Stones Partnership would work really well in theory. Though Stones isnt as quick as Distin, he's still pretty quick and I personally think Jags is better on the ball than Distin as well. Cant remember them playing together but i think they'd work.

I'm afraid to see a Jags/Stones partnership. Distin seems to do all the dirty work... the "recovering" CB, if you will.

When Distin makes a mistake (or anyone else), he is more likely to recover and track the man back down whereas Jags doesn't have the pace or general athleticism that Distin has to counter those mistakes. Stones has a bit of pace, but it remains to be seen just how capable he is at "recovering."

I do view Jags as the more intelligent defender of the two, but he still makes me nervous. I honestly only see Jags starting for about half a season more, though I'm basing this on his form before injuries.

I think in the upcoming window that it's crucial we pick up a young, left-footed, athletic CB for the future.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Until England clear out the old school, jumpers for goalposts brigade from the FA the national team will always be second or even third rate at best. They're as predictable as that brass band which follows them round. Terry Venables came close to breaking the mould in the 1990s but they soon saw him off. What was he thinking of?

Guest Nikica

RIP to Nana Baines. Leighton seems a stand-up guy and it's horrible that falling down the stairs led to her death.

As for England, I'm starting to think they could emerge from the section. Their squad is probably stronger than in 2010 and Uruguay might be a spent force. OTOH, the tournament is held in South America and the conditions will probably affect England.

Either way, I hope with players like Baines, Wilshere, Sturridge, Sterling etc, as well as impact subs such as Shaw, Barkley and the Ox we see some entertaining football from England. I think being eliminated in the groups but playing good football would offer more hope for the future than scraping through and being soundly beaten by Colombia etc.

Guest Nikica

Got Talksport on here (I know it's generally garbage but over the last few days I started listening again for the first time in over ten years) and it's Stan Collymore and someone else discussing the World Cup sections. They've been very reasonable and respectful to be fair, but they made a strange comment about Uruguay having nobody to get the ball to Suarez and Cavani, and consisting of only dogged players in the middle. What about Lodeiro and Gaston Ramirez? They're creative players.

Stan just said that his head tells him Uruguay and Italy will progress, his heart says England will displace one of them. So they're being very fair. Personally I think England could realistically finish in any of positions 1-4. It's that sort of group and England are that sort of team.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

The other guy just mentioned the thing I do about Ecuador's best form being at height in Quito and their away form in South America being poor, so we shouldn't assume them playing in their home continent will do them a lot of good.

It's a pretty obvious point, but it's also the sort of thing you'd expect Talksport not to know, so fair play to the guy. This discussion has been very good to be fair. Talksport might not be as shite as people say.

Edit: they're now saying that Bosnia are a very good team, and that it's somewhat of a myth that Argentina have poor players in defence. I have said these things too. It's nice to hear them say these things as I do feel people have exaggerated Argentina's defensive problems. Zab-Demichelis-Garay-Rojo with Romero behind and the likes of Mascherano, Di Maria and Bilgia in front (would be better if he had selected Caballero as GK) is strong enough given the brilliance of Argentina's attack, imo.

Collymore just said that Germany and Ghana will qualify. He has made good points for why, but he also said that Moutinho is 'decent, but not great' and lumped him in with Varela and Nani in terms of quality. Hmmm, that's not such a good comment.

Other guy has just said that he thinks Germany could be the shock exit at the group stage. Not bad reasoning for why either - suspect defensively, no top strikers (unless Klose has his normal sort of WC) and they have lots of injuries. He also said Moutinho is excellent and that Carvalho is a big talent. This guy seems to know his stuff - it's not unrealistic that Germany won't qualify. To be fair he says Germany will just about edge out Ghana - his point is they're far from the foregone conclusion people say they are.

Collymore just said that Ronaldo is better than Messi because he can defend corners and can score headers. What about Messi's playmaking ability which Ronaldo has nothing like? As an attacker playmaking is far, far more important than heading. He also said Ronaldo always turns up for Portugal...Ronaldo was poor in the group stage of qualifying, and has been poor in qualifying for many tournaments. He was also poor at WC 10, and very poor in particular versus Germany in Euro 08 and Spain in WC 10 and Euro 12. It seems that since Ronaldo played really well against Sweden people like Collymore have revised history to claim he's never let Portugal down :rofl: Collymore has been good throughout this discussion but he's having a nightmare with his comments on Portugal.

Edited by Nikica