IGNORED

England

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27219051

So basically, if any players who are hitting form will be ignored. Brilliant...

And we can expect to see a tried and tested Gerrard and Lampard midfield combo keep Barkley out the team. Sturridge played on the wing despite scoring 20 odd goals this season, Milner played on the other wing whilst Sterling or Chamberlain twiddle their thumbs on the bench and bring Welbeck on whilst we're 3-0 down to run about for a bit.

Cant wait. :dry:

And we can expect to see a tried and tested Gerrard and Lampard midfield combo keep Barkley out the team. Sturridge played on the wing despite scoring 20 odd goals this season, Milner played on the other wing whilst Sterling or Chamberlain twiddle their thumbs on the bench and bring Welbeck on whilst we're 3-0 down to run about for a bit.

Cant wait. :dry:

Sounds about right.....he'll probably give Ashley Young a couple of run outs as well.

Guest Nikica

England are unpredictable. I think they'll finish third in the section, but I could see them surprising everyone and playing better than we expect. They're a strange sort of team are England.

Guest Nikica

So if the Italy game was tomorrow, what do you think the starting eleven would be? Roy has already said he won't let the end of the season affect his decisions so we might as well speculate:

--------------------Hart------------------

--Johnson--Cahill-Jagielka--Baines--

------------Gerrard---Henderson----

Sterling-------Rooney-------Lallana

----------------Sturridge--------------

Johnson and Cahill are weak spots at the back. Really not a fan of Welbeck on the wing, and Rooney behind Sturridge is a better combo, so yea. Pretty sure I'm missing someone and it seems to have too many Liverpool players in it.

Have edited to include Lallana.

Edited by Nikica

So if the Italy game was tomorrow, what do you think the starting eleven would be? Roy has already said he won't let the end of the season affect his decisions so we might as well speculate:

Sterling-------Rooney--------Oxlade

Johnson and Cahill are weak spots at the back. Really not a fan of Welbeck on the wing, and Rooney behind Sturridge is a better combo, so yea. Pretty sure I'm missing someone and it seems to have too many Liverpool players in it.

That's not far off the team I would want. If Wilshire had been injury free all season and on form, then I might have put him in for Henderson, but as things are I agree with all your picks. But I bet Roy plays Milner in every single game...

Edit - I would play Lallana instead of the Ox too, probably

Edited by Ant1979

Guest Nikica

That's not far off the team I would want. If Wilshire had been injury free all season and on form, then I might have put him in for Henderson, but as things are I agree with all your picks. But I bet Roy plays Milner in every single game...

Just to be clear, that's not necessarily the team I would pick (mostly is). It's the team I think Roy would pick if the game was being played tomorrow in Manaus.

But yeah, I'd say that's about the strongest team he can field. Some people like Welbeck, but I can't see how he can fit all three of he, Sturridge and Rooney in unless he goes 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 like Pool and some Italian teams. Trying to fit all three of them into a 4-3-3 wouldn't get the bets out of any of them.

Sterling for me has to start - he offers that something different which England are crying out for. I actually think Milner is a solid squad option due to his versatility, but I agree he shouldn't start. What's the script with Barry these days? Any chance he will make the squad, or has he ruled himself out? He could take Henderson's place, but I fear a midfield of Gerrard and Barry with Rooney in front would be very slow and lacking in energy.

I agree that based on ability Wilshere should be in. But based on form over the season Henderson deserves it. Carrick is a quality player too but he's had a terrible season.

We discussed playing either Shaw or Cole at LB due to Johnson's lack of reliability, but overall it's probably best to play a right-footer at RB (although, as I said before, having a left-footer at RB can be an advantage playing against all these wingers who come inside, as the full-back will be tackling with their strong foot).

Edit: knew I was forgetting someone. I agree, Lallana in place of Oxlade.

Edited by Nikica

Sterling-------Rooney-------Lallana

Have edited to include Lallana.

Better starting choice than Ox I think. I'd go with that but will be utterly unsurprised if Young starts there...

Guest Nikica

Better starting choice than Ox I think. I'd go with that but will be utterly unsurprised if Young starts there...

Yeah, I knew I'd forgot someone and Lallana was that man. Not sure how I forgot him as he might be England's best technician.

I actually think Young will make the squad. Roy seems loyal to certain players. I agree he should be nowhere near it though.

If Stones were to take the place of Cahill and Barkley the place of Lallana, it would mean that nine players come from the Merseyside teams. Impressive.

I think Barkley will make the squad, but it might be a step too far for Stones (sorry Marco).

Edited by Nikica

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly it's

GK: Hart, Foster, Ruddy.

DEF: Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Shaw.

MID: Chamberlain, Milner, Barkley, Henderson, Gerrard, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling.

ATT: Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck.

We'll find out for suretomorrow.

Stones will be playing at the Toulon U20 tournament if not named in the squad.

Supposedly it's

GK: Hart, Foster, Ruddy.

DEF: Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Shaw.

MID: Chamberlain, Milner, Barkley, Henderson, Gerrard, Lampard, Wilshere, Lallana, Sterling.

ATT: Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck.

We'll find out for suretomorrow.

Stones will be playing at the Toulon U20 tournament if not named in the squad.

Sky are saying Ruddy isn't in the squad.

Feed didn't work.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (England), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2014/may/england-world-cup-squad-2014-confirmed#yZBsOHeZr00JQuiB.99

Bnb9wUYIIAAcWgR.jpg