Everton v Chelsea

THFC6061

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that must be Moyes' mantra! Not sure its what you meant though! ha

Yeh Felli has been an absolute beast.

Oh big fat cocks, I of course meant that attack is the best form of defence. I must be chanelling Moyes's spirit. Really fucked off that we've not seen Barkley for months now. There must be a problem somewhere. I don'ts likes it.

no complaints of no barkley today...wasn't the game for him

Why not, I dont think it would have made a big difference to the game if we gave him 5-10 minutes of playing time? I'd start the lad ahead of Cahill at this current moment I think he could bring more to the squad. In an Ideal world Rodwell/Osman is better than Gibson, Barkley is better than Cahill, Hibbo is better than Neville. Just something to think about for Moyes when he was an injury free squad (if he ever gets one...)

Why not, I dont think it would have made a big difference to the game if we gave him 5-10 minutes of playing time? I'd start the lad ahead of Cahill at this current moment I think he could bring more to the squad. In an Ideal world Rodwell/Osman is better than Gibson, Barkley is better than Cahill, Hibbo is better than Neville. Just something to think about for Moyes when he was an injury free squad (if he ever gets one...)

because we were on a 2-0 lead against an off form but still dangerous side...no point playin a reative young lad for ten mins when just defending that lead...moyes got it spot on today

MikeO, on 10 Feb 2012 - 23:22, said:....... "I'm thinking home win by two goals".

Yeah well done Mike, the only one in Oztips to tip a Blues win.smile.png

I had us on my 8 fold coupon - a couple got cancelled but had £200 back from £2 - undone by hibs 0-0 Aberdeen (I had Aberdeen!)

Edited by c1982

I am so, so, so proud of the team after that performance. It was like the Everton of old (for the most part); fighting for absolutely everything, putting pressure on the opposition at every single opportunity, throwing ourselves in front of everything to stop attempts on goal, winning the ball back constantly etc etc. Where has all of that been this season? That was probably the most enjoyable game of ours I've sat through this season. Chelsea had a fair bit of the ball but we nullified them for most of the game.

We started the game extremely well and for the first 15 or so minutes we were very comfortable, deservedly took the lead and Chelsea looked shaken. But we allowed them into the game after that first quarter because we just couldn't keep hold of the ball, we stopped getting in their faces, and both of our full-backs gave their widemen all the space in the world, so they crapped all over us in terms of possession and looked dangerous right until half-time. I really felt it was just a matter of time before they equalised.

Fortunately we held out until half-time and when we came out for the second half we were on it right from the off. We were absolutely brilliant, we really were. Chelsea had a couple of half chances, and one major chance right at the end from Lukaku, but other than that I felt we were comfortable and us getting a second goal was thoroughly earned. There was so much hard work put in by the lads and it was coupled with skill as well. It was symmetry. We got the right balance of the two. You had the work rate of Straq, Cahill, the total midfield dominance of Fellaini, and the skill and link-up from Donovan, Baines, Pienaar, and Drenthe when he came on.

There aren't many negative points to take out of today IMO, and we haven't been able to say that very often this season. I hope the players take this on now and don't let themselves down in the following game.

COYB!

Howard - Yes he flapped at one cross he really should have caught comfortably but he made a crucial save towards the end from Lukaku that made up for that, IMO, and in truth he didn't have all that much to do did he?

Neville - A dodgy clearing header and giving the Chelsea wide player/s a little too much room (particularly in the first half) aside I really don't think he played that badly. Certainly much improved from what he's served up for most of this season. And he was one of the ones who threw himself infront of piledrivers.

Heitinga - He was a general at the back for us today. I watched him closely and he was constantly talking to Neville and Distin, and after Howard flapped at the cross he should have caught he was telling him to calm down. I know he's a bit like marmite to Evertonians but I love him and I thought he was fantastic at the back again, and in my eyes he should be first choice at CB. He brings a calmness to our defence that Distin and Jagielka lack. I know we haven't kept many cleansheets this season but I think all, or most, of the cleansheets we have kept have come when Heitinga has been playing at CB.

Distin - Apart from a reckless challenge he put in early on Torres in our penalty area, which would surely have been given if he'd landed the tackle, he was absolutely quality. I lost count of the amount of clearing headers he made and he was another player that threw himself infront of everything. He was a completely different player to the one that looked so nervy against Wigan.

Baines - Like Neville he allowed the Chelsea wideman so much time and space it was scary. But going forward he was looking a lot closer to what has had all us salivating over for the past few years. Where in the Wigan game I didn't think the link-up with Pienaar was there today it was most definitely back. There were lots of fast, one touch plays between them which really was gorgeous to watch.

Donovan - IMO that was his best game since his return here. However, I still don't think he was anywhere near the level he showed in his first stint. He worked extremely hard for us and covered every blade of grass, I just wish he'd show the same sort of oomph going forward that made him such a fan favourite last time round. He seems almost hesitant to go forward.

Gibson - I thought he was supposed to be able to pass? All I see him do is play our players into trouble with his passing. And maybe he has an obsession wih crop circles because, boy, does he love spending time in our centre circle. I really thought he was going to prove me wrong after his debut but since then my worst fears about him are being confirmed; he's a nothingy player.

Fellaini - The dominator, that's the only way to describe what he showed today. He ran the centre of the park, it belonged to him. If the ball was in the middle of the pitch he took it. Whether that had to come about by winning the ball back from a Chelsea player or bringing the ball down out of the sky. I never thought I could get so much happiness from watching a player bringing the ball down from the air on his chest, but when Felli does it I can't help but grin like a little kid. Heitinga brings calmness to our defence and Fellaini does the same for our midfield.

Pienaar - Where others slacked off in the first half I thought he was on his A game from the first whistle to the last whistle, he was right in Chelsea's faces all game long. Not satisfied with just working hard he got our creative juices flowing and was involved in everything. And I mean everything. If there was anything positive happening then he was playing a key role in it. He added the skill to our play that we've been lacking this season and he brought out the best in Baines. He got a bit lucky with the ball dropping to him for our opener but he finished it brilliantly. My MOTM.

Cahill - He was one of the main contributors to our early pressing play but was also one of the worst ones who dropped off inthat first half. However, in the second half I thought he was right on it again, getting at Chelsea, niggling at them, holding the ball up. Probably his best game for us this season.

Denis - Like Pienaar, he was at Chelsea from the first whistle to the last whistle. He left everything he had on that pitch and completely deserved the standing ovation he got when he was substituted. The Chelsea defenders didn't know what to do with him and resorted to fouling him (and mostly getting away with it too), but he never looked downhearted or gave up, he kept going and held the ball up superbly. And that through ball with the outside of his foot toward the end of the game showed a deft touch I didn't think he had. And he took his goal really well too.

as for the marmite comment...there can't be split opinions about him at cb..he's class..end of

That's what I thought....I know there were many (in the Blue Room in particular) who in the past wittily christened him Sheitingerrolleyes.gif ....but anyone who still doubts his quality is just about as stupid as anyone who doesn't like Marmiteleggit.gif .