IGNORED

Francisco Júnior

• 3 months later...

I reckon he was never quite good enough to make it here and certainly won't make it here now given his lack of progress over the years. I hope he proves me wrong though. I have to think we would've flat out released him if he didn't have SOME potential/talent.

Ideally he'll make it here, but more likely the best case scenario is him making it in the Championship or moving to Portugal or some other lesser league and being successful there.

I reckon he was never quite good enough to make it here and certainly won't make it here now given his lack of progress over the years. I hope he proves me wrong though. I have to think we would've flat out released him if he didn't have SOME potential/talent.

Ideally he'll make it here, but more likely the best case scenario is him making it in the Championship or moving to Portugal or some other lesser league and being successful there.

Strange isn't it? He's obviously rated by someone to have been around this long.

he's been around this long because of his contract 4.5 years was stupid.

It should never be this long unless you absolutely know he's that good.

He will probably be here till it expires or he does improve if possible.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Why offer him a contract like that?

I agree, it was a bit short-sighted.

he's been around this long because of his contract 4.5 years was stupid.

It should never be this long unless you absolutely know he's that good.

He will probably be here till it expires or he does improve if possible.

any idea when this contract does end? let's hope it's this year.

EDIT: looked it up. he signed jan 2012. if it's 4.5 year deal that's either summer 2016 or winter 2016/2017. OUCH :dont know:

Edited by markjazzbassist

When he first signed he has being compared to Viera. City had paid compensation just to have him train for a short time, stupid money too considering. The lad had all the promise in the world and lost it to booze, like quite a few others we gave decent contracts to.

Nothing to do with being shortsighted. Not being clairvoyant maybe, but then you're being ridiculous.

When he first signed he has being compared to Viera. City had paid compensation just to have him train for a short time, stupid money too considering. The lad had all the promise in the world and lost it to booze, like quite a few others we gave decent contracts to.

Nothing to do with being shortsighted. Not being clairvoyant maybe, but then you're being ridiculous.

Totally agree

Imagine if we had given him a 2 year deal and he had started fulfilling his potential, then walked away for nothing. The same people would be saying it was short sighted not to sign him on a longer deal

any idea when this contract does end? let's hope it's this year.

EDIT: looked it up. he signed jan 2012. if it's 4.5 year deal that's either summer 2016 or winter 2016/2017. OUCH :dont know:

It was in the article that Dunc posted, four and a half year deal signed in Jan 2012. No need to look it up, just read the link.

Sounds like he won't be setting the world on fire any time soon. That being said, maybe a bit of focus/drive as well as first team football could reignite his career.

Impressed with Jonjoe Kenny as he is quite young. It'll be impressive if he can get into the Wigan team every week given that they are a bigger side by League 1 standards given their past decade spent in higher divisions (Not that their club-long history is one of upper division football and great success).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite insightful that interview. Important to remember how tough it is for players on the periphery who go through trials of life.

I used to see Van Der Meyde out in our local (3 stags) apparently he was a piss head.... in my eyes he wasn't, just had a very very sad and troubled look on his face. When you find out he had a sick daughter it all makes sense.

People wouldn't expect someone to play with a broken leg, but they are expected to play with a troubled mind. To some players like Gazza it was an opportunity to escape, to others it's a feeling of being put under a microscope.

• 10 months later...