IGNORED

Everton v Blackpool (FA Cup)

FairWooney

We did what we needed to and that's all the matters. We could have had five or six and I wished we woud have put them away but at the end of the day I'd of settled for a 1-0. So long as we are in the next round of the cup I coulden't care less what happened on the pitch, I'm proud of Everton today and I feel that we can push through the Quarters just like we have pushed through the rounds previously.

From what you've said in the past I have you down as a youngish lad (late teens?), but I must say you speak a lot of sense. I'd have to agree with this... it's sad to see our fans moaning about strolling through to the 1/4 finals, we would have scored at least 5 but for goal-line clearances etc. Blackpool are a very good team, just look at Chelsea vs Birmingham... I for one am delighted with todays result/performance.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one strange game!

Was it me or did Blackpool look like they were playing on sand?

Should have won 5-0, Royston Ricky was just Royston Ricky today. A playful puppy who just wants to have fun but has no wisdom.

Every team should have one he's a drenthe of fresh air!

"They are in control of what they do and my lot didn't really understand the game, we should be taking Phil Neville out the game by hitting our front two and then pushing on but we didn't do that to the extent we needed."

Blimey! Phil Neville is normally not in the game anyway!

He said some nice words about us, good egg is old holloway.

From what you've said in the past I have you down as a youngish lad (late teens?), but I must say you speak a lot of sense.

I turned 18 in November, so I guess I still qualify as being young ;) and thanks for the praise mate!

He said some nice words about us, good egg is old holloway.

I like Holloway I must say, he's a decent manager and what's more he is a real down to Earth bloke. I think that he gets the best out of his players from actually being a genuine guy and from gaining the players respect he is able to turn that into good performances. I woulden't be surprised to see Blackpool in the Premier League in the next 1-2 years and I woulden't be surprised to see Holloway offered a lower-Premiership job (e.g - Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves...)

And yet again, both Drenthe and Straq are here on loan. Well happy with today tho. Bring on anyone, why not Chelsea?

You write that post as if Chelsea are a force to be reckoned with - they're not.

So long as AvB is in charge I'd play them every week, they are about as flimsy at the back as a house made from marshmallows and up front they can do fuck all with Fernando Torres who seems more interested in keeping his fringe out of his eyes than burying the ball in the onion bag. If we got Chelsea in the next round then I'd be a happy man so that we could give them another tonking about progress into the Semi's.

Interesting to see Rooney in the crowd (with Alan Stubbs)...anyone know what sort of reception he was given?

He posted on his Twitter account that it's the first time he has been back to watch Everton since leaving in 2004 and that everyone had made him feel really welcome. I have to admit that I believe him too because if he would have had any trouble then he would have either kept quiet or posted on Twitter a more aggressive message.

The news articles report that he was indeed sat with Alan Stubbs and David Unsworth (best bits below)

However' date=' Rooney missed the late drama - having made his excuses and chipped off with about ten minutes to go. He later took to Twitter to express his thanks to the club for allowing him to attend as a fan for the first time since leaving in 2004.

'1st time back at goodison to watch. Great win. Everyone at the club made me feel really welcome. Thank you,' he said.[/quote']

I'm pleased with the result but I was disappointed with how we played for a lot of the game tbh.

Obviously we started the game like a house on fire and deservedly were two up pretty quickly. From that point on I expected us to just control the game, not necessarily go on and win by 5 or 6 (although, that would obviously have been nice), but we took our foot right off the pedal and gave Blackpool too much time and space for a lot of the first half. And I actually thought they were the better side for a lot of that half (much more than I was comfortable with), but they were disappointing in how threatening they actually were, our defence was rarely troubled in that time. But towards the end of the first half we did start to control and dominate the game like I thought we should have all along and created a lot of chances to more than put the game to bed but we just couldn't convert our dominance into goals. I was particularly impressed with Fellaini and our two wingers, Drenthe and Gueye, in this period.

I fully expected us to come out in the second half and carry on where we finished the first half, however I don't feel like we ever really got going with our play. We were wasteful in possession, looked lethargic for long periods and once again often gave Blackpool too much freedom. This half, though, Blackpool were threatening and we have Tim Howard to thank for it not being a nervy half in terms of holding on for the win. He made some fine saves. Even though we weren't really on it in the second half we still managed to create chances to finish the game so it's a comfort that even when we're not at our best we're creating enough chances to win.

Howard - Didn't have a lot to do but when he was called upon he was top notch.

Hibbert - Really didn't have much to do in the first half that I can remember. I thought he was dodgy defensively in the second half when we were under pressure though. At times he was nowhere near a Blackpool player because he'd drifted too far centrally.

Distin and Heitinga - I thought they worked well together and were very solid. Distin was very dominant aerially which eased the pressure on us in the second half. And Heitinga, apart from one very rash challenge on the edge of our area, was calm as ever. I don't think it was ever a penalty that was given against him.

Baines - Not as good as he's been with Pienaar but for the most part I thought he worked quite well with Maggie. They showed some decent link-up play and Baines was up and down the touchline all game long and put in some quality balls. His work rate counts for even more when you consider he was ill and threw up in the warm up.

Drenthe - He still needs to learn to play the easy/simple ball sometimes but he was brilliant yesterday. He was a bundle of energy all afternoon long and never stopped running at them, he epitomised positivity from start to finish, he just didn't want to take a backward step at all. Some of his surging runs were absolutely brilliant and caused mayhem for Blackpool, they didn't have a clue what to do with him. And the finish for his goal was pure quality. My MOTM.

Gibson and Neville - I'm putting them both together because they may as well have been one player. They both just occupied space without ever really contributing anything to our overall play. Neither looked to put any challenges in but were happy to just stand and let Blackpool have the ball. At least Gibson is willing to get on the ball though, that's about the only thing that separated them yesterday.

Gueye - I thought he grew into the game the longer it went on. He's been quite disappointing in his other showings for us this season but he was a lot better yesterday and looked more at ease, which showed in that he was much more involved in our play instead of looking a bit scared of the ball like he has done in the past. He was involved heavily in our opening goal and he was a big threat when we started to assert of dominance on the game towards the end of the first half. It was great having pace and skill on both sides of the pitch at that time, I felt spoilt.

Fellaini - He was the star of the first half for me. That's the best I've seen him play when he's started as the supporting midfielder for the striker. Although, he didn't stay there, he was literally popping up everywhere in that first half. One minute he was laying off the ball for Drenthe to score, the next he was in the middle of the park doing Neville and Gibson's job for them by breaking up the play. He was a collossus. He really was. In the second half he wasn't dominating things like that but he was causing problems for Blackpool in another way; popping up with chance after chance. It's just a shame he couldn't have put at least one of them away.

Denis - He wasn't his bulldozing best (he looked quite tired, which is no surprise after all he's given lately) but he still put himself about and got himself on the scoresheet once again. You can't really ask for more than that from him.

must admit i'm surprised vellios didn't get more of a run as i think denis needed a rest too...maybe a half each especially as we were 2-0 up

that's it, Denis will get played till he can stand up no longer, or gets injured then he will get a rest but it will be too late, Vellios should have had a go yesterday, no idea why he did'nt, he should be able to find the net against Blackpool.

Baines - Not as good as he's been with Pienaar but for the most part I thought he worked quite well with Maggie. They showed some decent link-up play and Baines was up and down the touchline all game long and put in some quality balls. His work rate counts for even more when you consider he was ill and threw up in the warm up.

Didnt know that! Credit to him! should have been brought off at half time, Neville to LB and Barkley in the middle. Agree that Denis definitely should have had a rest yesterday, Vellios should have got at least 20-30 mins

Didnt know that! Credit to him! should have been brought off at half time, Neville to LB and Barkley in the middle. Agree that Denis definitely should have had a rest yesterday, Vellios should have got at least 20-30 mins

I didn't know that either! Good to see that he carried on and played though because it shows what determination he has to play in the blue shirt, without Baines I think our creative juices would have gone stale.

I do believe that we could have given Denis a rest as he's probably going to carry his fatigue into the next match and I'd love to see Vellios given more minutes on the pitch to bag a goal. I really believe if he would have played for the full 45 (in the second half) then he would have bagged one.

Looking forward to the draw though, so long as we can avoid Liverpool I'm happy. Leicester City or Bolton Wanderers would do nicely!

Wasn't sure were to put this, but just seen this on the news;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/scotland/9094254/Scotland-manager-Craig-Levein-learned-of-Matt-Phillips-eligibility-through-Blackpool-players-family.html

Personally cant help but feel England may have missed out as i think the lad shows a lot of promise

No one could have taken this game for granted ahead of time, Blackpool ae no pushovers and have some experienced players, they were in the EPL last year after all, but that was a lot to do with Holloway as a good manager

All home ties now on route and a place in the sixth round and Sunderland await and quietly confident now of another semi-final place like three years ago. Funny really as a few weeks ago the team was playing shit, Moyes was getting it from all angles and there was a definite air of despondency and where do we go from here and lo and behold some outstanding results thereafter, some new faces in and such an upturn in fortunes, an unexpected but most welcome reversal of fortune

Could this finally be the wait after 17 long years to finally see a Toffees captain go up and lift something for the masses? Only two games away from the FA cup final now, a lot of big names and heavyweights gone by the wayside, one has to be quietly confident. We have seen now in recent games that we can indeed beat anyone on the day so there's a real chance now that we could actually win this FA cup tourney and with it a day out at the national stadium

It is after all, supposed to be the showpiece of English soccer, and I plan on being there. The same thoughts are probably going through other supporters minds, this does represent a very good opportunity

It is after all, supposed to be the showpiece of English soccer, and I plan on being there. The same thoughts are probably going through other supporters minds, this does represent a very good opportunity

Do you mean physically be at Wembley? Because you'll have a job getting a ticket if you haven't been to any games this season.

Not to any Goodison matches admittedly

Have a lot on at the moment and before, and besides there's every chance that Everton Football Club may not even be in the showpiece event even in a few months, we can only be hopeful, still some way to go

If it comes to pass, I'll invariably find a way to get hold of a ticket, ask me again in a few months

Not to any Goodison matches admittedly

Have a lot on at the moment and before, and besides there's every chance that Everton Football Club may not even be in the showpiece event even in a few months, we can only be hopeful, still some way to go

If it comes to pass, I'll invariably find a way to get hold of a ticket, ask me again in a few months

Like I said, you'll have a job getting a ticket if you haven't been to games this season because you'll have had to have been to games to qualify for a ticket. That's how it was in 2009.

And in all honesty, that's how it should be. The people who have been to the most games are the most deserving of a ticket for such a big game where tickets will be hard to come by. Like I expect to be somewhere in the middle of the pecking order because even though I've got a season ticket and have attended all the home cup games this season I don't get to away games, which give you more loyalty points toward getting a ticket for a Wembley appearance.

And in all honesty, that's how it should be.

I agree.....when Wembley was our second home in the eighties I often got tickets through contacts but barely ever went to Goodison and just saw London games. Always felt a bit guilty tbh that others more deserving missed out.....but that's how it's always worked.

I wasn't able to attend the 2009 Final which is something in retrospect I regret, regardless of outcome

What's with the tickets issue, I managed to get to a couple of fixtures in the home counties this season so do I qualify on that score, not making excuses and there are doubtless more people deserving of entry but not everybody lives within two blocks of Goodison Park or has the time or comittment to attend matches on a regular basis sometimes, I would have liked to have gone more than I have but there you are. I still do think I am in with a chance of getting hold of some tickets, we will just have to see, i.e. progress and weeks to come. Never say never

I wasn't able to attend the 2009 Final which is something in retrospect I regret, regardless of outcome

What's with the tickets issue, I managed to get to a couple of fixtures in the home counties this season so do I qualify on that score, not making excuses and there are doubtless more people deserving of entry but not everybody lives within two blocks of Goodison Park or has the time or comittment to attend matches on a regular basis sometimes, I would have liked to have gone more than I have but there you are. I still do think I am in with a chance of getting hold of some tickets, we will just have to see, i.e. progress and weeks to come. Never say never

It's not a personal dig at you or anything, it's just how Everton will distribute the tickets to the fans if we get to Wembley - the people who have been the most games this season and therefore have the most loyalty points will get first dibs on the tickets, then the amount of games needed to apply for a ticket will decrease until it gets to people who have no loyalty points or they're sold out.

Its frustrating to an extent that being a supporter of some great many years and attending fixtures even before some were even born counts for nothing in the long run, but I can understand loyalties and attendances take priority sometimes. I still maintain I will endeavor to get inside the arena come what may, back in 1986 fans were swinging in through windows and sitting on the actual roof of the stadium in order to get a view, it wasn't all get tickets and through the turnstyles for everybody

I actually did a parachute jump over Paris some years back, but I don't know if I'd do it again, it really was a once in a lifetime experience, for those who try it the once that is

No such extremes this year for a possible final date however, If I can't get hold of a ticket then fair enough, won't be pleased obviously, but i've been to other FA cup finals with this club and there will be, or could be, kids and others going to the national arena with blues for the first time and I won't deny them a grand day out, it's not as if I haven't taken in the experience before. Still everything as we all know is dependant on the coming weeks. The club has come a long way (ok, three wins) to get where we are but there are still obstacles to overcome. Sunderland won't be turning up in a week or two just to make up the numbers, they will want a Final appearance as much as us or any side for that matter