IGNORED

Stoke

Finn balor

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we did'nt lose, thats the main thing, but we did the usual pattern from this season of playing well in the first half and going to sleep in the second. When they made the 3 subs, we seemed to go into shock for about 5 mins, then were lucky not to lose another,I thought we passed it around well but never really created anything positive, but we hung on, the downside being that Vic and Gueye both came off with injuries.

Oh well, at least the shite lost AGAIN!!!jump%20for%20joy.gif

any idea why Maggie was subbed?

Totally ineffective...looked scared of the ball....was crying for him to be subbed here.

Don't see anyone picking up on TC unnecessarily giving the ball away for their goal....annoyed me as much as the defending that followedshaking fist.png .

any idea why Maggie was subbed?

He was injured.

I'm still happy with tonight, we have taken a point away from home which is always good and Liverpool have lost at home. We now stand three points ahead of them with two games to go (one of which is against Wolves) which means that we could well finish above them this year - well played lads.

Pretty crap game. Seemed like it was there to be won if we'd only taken our chances. Dominated them on the ground, but we hoofed it too much. End product from Osman was poor, but good touches throughout the game. Gueye looked either shattered, unfit or disinterested. Not impressed. Thought the game was calling out for Barkley as soon as they scored, Mcfadden in the 88th minute not quite the same.

Bit of an odd game from what I saw (2nd half). We showed some good movement going forward and some intent with out actually having any quality. The defence looked half asleep at times and there seemed to be a lot of space between the back four and the midfield and then again from the midfield and the striker, probably because it was a bit of a mish mash of players in different positions.

I thought we were unlucky not to win that. Aside from some poor defending for their equaliser, we played quite well, not to our best but quite well.

If Jags and Heits hadn't messed up for their goal and we'd won 1-0 most people would have said we were quite comfortable.

What was disappointing was how we seemed unable to step up a gear when we needed another goal. Jelavic struggled to get into the game. I actually think we missed Fellaini playing further up to bully them a bit and help link up Ossie and Pienaar's runs. Also would have liked to see Barkley.

Still, decent performance, win at Wolves next weekend and 7th place is all but wrapped up.

Totally ineffective...looked scared of the ball....was crying for him to be subbed here.

Don't see anyone picking up on TC unnecessarily giving the ball away for their goal....annoyed me as much as the defending that followedshaking%20fist.png .

Speaking of picking up on things, did anyone see Howard and Fellaini pushing each other at the end unsure.png

Still, decent performance, win at Wolves next weekend and 7th place is all but wrapped up.

How many places get you into Europe this year? A friend of mine was saying that 7th is the last place for European football so if we win against Wolves on Sunday and hold off Newcastle United does that mean we are in the Europa League? I'd be happier than a dog with two dicks if we are.

How many places get you into Europe this year? A friend of mine was saying that 7th is the last place for European football so if we win against Wolves on Sunday and hold off Newcastle United does that mean we are in the Europa League? I'd be happier than a dog with two dicks if we are.

There's no chance we're getting Europe this year, not even if we finish 7th.

No because Carling Cup winners takes precedence over 7th place

Speaking of picking up on things, did anyone see Howard and Fellaini pushing each other at the end unsure.png

Felli hugged Howard because of the last minute save and Howard pushed him away because he was pissed off that we hadn't won...that was my take on it.

He lost a clean sheet due to a fluke of a goal and the 10 men in front of him didn't do enough to break down Stoke's poor defence. I'd be miffed if I was Howard and there is no doubt that he will come back stronger on Sunday against Wolves. I woulden't spent hours worrying over the Felli/Howard incident, it will be all hugs and kisses in the dressing room and Timmy certainly wasn't aiming his anger at one particular person.

I thought our football in the first half was brilliant to watch and Stoke couldn't get close to us, we just lacked that final ball and the ability to break the Stoke defence down. If we'd created more then being 2 or 3 up by half time would have been deserved for our build up play. But in the end we got lucky with our goal. And despite us looking the better side we looked very dodgy defensively all night.

We started the second half quite well I thought but we quickly tired and Stoke took control of the game and were putting us under a lot of pressure, which our defence did not look up to coping with at any point. That pressure told with a defensive fuck up for their equaliser.

All things told a point away at Stoke is a good result.

Also, how the fuck do Stoke fans watch that shite every week? Our football has been bad at times this season but give me that over what Stoke do.

Howard - Couldn't do anything about their goal and made some good saves, particularly at the end with Huth's free kick.

Hibbert - Looked decent going forward and grabbed himself another assist, but he was poor defensively and very nearly gave a penalty away in the second half when he needlessly dived in.

Heitinga & Jagielka - Another game when they've looked garbage together. They were bullied all night by the Stoke attackers and didn't have any answers in how to go about getting back at them. The less said about their roles in the equaliser the better.

Distin - Put one very good cross in in the first half and that's the only positive contribution I can remember him making tbh. He is not a LB.

Anichebe - I thought he'd looked pretty good until he had to go off injured tbh. He'd been dangerous.

Fellaini - It was a bit of a non-event for Felli IMO. He sort of just drifted through the game not really doing anything defensively or attacking wise.

Pienaar - In the first half he was like a puppet master pulling the strings for us, he was really making us tick and was at the heart of all of our slick passing and a major factor in us playing at a high tempo. He struggled somewhat in the second half, with his passing being a bit sloppy. Still my MOTM though.

Cahill - I worried when it was apparent that Cahill was playing in midfield but in the first half I really thought he was fantastic. He was the midfielder who always made space for himself to receive the ball, and he was very intelligent with the ball when he had it. However, in the second half he may as well have not been on the pitch and I found it strange how he managed to stay on the pitch for the full 90 minutes.

Osman - A bit like Pienaar really in that he was brilliant in the first half and involved in all our excellent play, but just couldn't keep it going in the second half.

Jelavic - Although he never threatened to score tonight his all round play in the first half was as good as ever. He played plenty of nice little flicks to the likes of Osman and Pienaar to put us away on the attack, held the ball up well to bring others into play. But the second half he was never really in the game and looked very isolated.

people seem happier with liverpool losin rather than annoyed we should have won against a poor side...good point away or not we got it playin shite and almost lost at the end..pathetic performance from what i've seen and just a typical, mundane, shocking game of football

and if that goal wasn't enough of a sign to anyone that heitinga and jagielka look like a pair of clowns next to each other then i don't know what would be

Just shows how much we need Baines back in the team, and That we have to get cover for LB so that Jags and Heitinga don't have to play together again. Edited by theprisoner

Guest Nikica

Didn't see the game tonight, but must agree on Stoke. Their 'football' is terrible. After three years in the league, you would think they would feel comfortable enough to try a more evolved style. Apparently not.

Guest Nikica

the reason i moan about it is cos i know the players we have are better than that...stoke have spent money on players for that very purpose...pathetic

To be fair to them, having read their forums many of their own fans are sick fed up of it, and Pulis.

It's a common debate in football - win ugly or play pretty? Obviously winning is the important thing, but you'd think Stoke would at least try something new. When they have bought technically adept footballers, they've left them to rot ion the bench eg Tuncay.

Didn't see the game tonight, but must agree on Stoke. Their 'football' is terrible. After three years in the league, you would think they would feel comfortable enough to try a more evolved style. Apparently not.

How many players would they have to buy to "evolve" as you say? It would be a costly evolution that would certainly drag them close to the relegation zone. I'm surprised that Stoke fans have complained about Pulis given that hes given them 3 comfortable midtable finishes and a taste of Europe but then again I haven't had to watch Stoke on a weekly basis. Maybe it gets old even if it keeps you in the Prem.

How many players would they have to buy to "evolve" as you say? It would be a costly evolution that would certainly drag them close to the relegation zone. I'm surprised that Stoke fans have complained about Pulis given that hes given them 3 comfortable midtable finishes and a taste of Europe but then again I haven't had to watch Stoke on a weekly basis. Maybe it gets old even if it keeps you in the Prem.

They have a good base, but need an attacking midfielder, they have spent £25+ mil on Fuller, Jerome, Crouch, and Jones who are all similar players. They brought in Tuncay, which could have helped them in transition to another style but they never adapted so he flopped.

Begovic

Shotton Woodgate Huth Upson

Palacious

Soares ??? Walters Etherington

Fuller/Crouch

They have a good base and could easily adapt to a better style. Similar to what Moyes had his first couple of seasons(if not better). What they do atm is a disgrace. They have had money, they have no excuse to be playing like this anymore.

The team I've done above, if you added a player of Osman to Dempseys quality and it would be able to play at least a premiership standard. Then progress by bringing in a a winger, then a left back, someone for Walters, then finally another striker to freshen things up, and they'd be a top 10 team playing good football rather than an un-relegatable poster boy of anti-football.

http://oatcakefanzin...y&thread=191789

They have a good base, but need an attacking midfielder, they have spent £25+ mil on Fuller, Jerome, Crouch, and Jones who are all similar players. They brought in Tuncay, which could have helped them in transition to another style but they never adapted so he flopped.

Begovic

Shotton Woodgate Huth Upson

Palacious

Soares ??? Walters Etherington

Fuller/Crouch

They have a good base and could easily adapt to a better style. Similar to what Moyes had his first couple of seasons(if not better). What they do atm is a disgrace. They have had money, they have no excuse to be playing like this anymore.

The team I've done above, if you added a player of Osman to Dempseys quality and it would be able to play at least a premiership standard. Then progress by bringing in a a winger, then a left back, someone for Walters, then finally another striker to freshen things up, and they'd be a top 10 team playing good football rather than an un-relegatable poster boy of anti-football.

http://oatcakefanzin...y&thread=191

For me that is a relegated team, with Osman or Dempsey, if they tried to play attractive football. Though I think you make a fair point on the money they have spent on the strikers. They haven't even tried to adapt. I just think its difficult to bring in the players they need to adapt in a transition that doesn't run the risk of getting them relegated. Looks like the Stoke fans are fine running that risk given that link though

For me that is a relegated team, with Osman or Dempsey, if they tried to play attractive football. Though I think you make a fair point on the money they have spent on the strikers. They haven't even tried to adapt. I just think its difficult to bring in the players they need to adapt in a transition that doesn't run the risk of getting them relegated. Looks like the Stoke fans are fine running that risk given that link though

Think it's a got to the point they would rather be relegated and watch enjoyable football.

In my mind when I put that team I was thinking of how Moyes evolved us from 06/07 (using the squad Moyes took over would be unfair as we didnt play the best football then, even though it was better than Stokes with worst players than they have).

Begovic = Howard

Shotton = Neville

Woodgate = Yobo

Huth > Stubbs

Upson < Lescott

Palacious = Carsley

Soares < Arteta

Etherington = Osman

Walters < Cahill

Crouch = Andy Johnson

Fuller > Beattie

6 equal players, 2 better, 3 not as good as what we had. Which wouldn't make for much room inbetween us, especially if you consider the thinnest of our squad. I'd be pissed that Pullis had not followed a Moyes model/adaptation, he's got good enough players to build around and if he's not good enough to push on he should have been sacked by now.

Edited by pete0

problem is they've spent quite big with the intention of playin shite football...i'd understand if they didn't have much money but he could have started the evolution by spending 10 mill on a good striker and not a lump