IGNORED

Manchester United (Home)

gethinO

I'm waking up early (4:00am GMT+10 to head over to a friends house with pay TV) to watch this Tuesday morning here in Australia. Boys better make it worth it for me getting up early and getting to work late that day. With our recent signings I'm looking optimistic. I think our squad is looking good this season. Better to have a champion team than have a team of champions as the old adage goes. DM always puts the team before the individual so we should be able to make a good game of it at home. I agree with Bailey - it would be the defences which will decide this game. MU haven't strengthened theirs, nor we ours. But there was a time when Goodison was a fortress for us with visiting teams , so hopefully we can do that again.

3 - 2 to us, with Jelavic, Pienaar and Naismith to score. Van Persie and Rooney to score for them.

Best time to play united, first game of the season is a great leveller (ahem lets forget Arsenal - lescott game)

I honestly think we look to have a chance, if we get our defence settled nice and early and get the likes of pienaar, osman on the ball we can give Jelly the biggest platform to show how good he really is.

1-0 - Jelavic

Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Heitinga, Baines, Naismith, Gibson, Osman, Neville, Pienaar, Jelavic

Bench: Mucha, Distin, Duffy, Anichebe, Coleman, Barkley, Gueye

Man U to win 2-1

We never start well, but we have a nice run of fixtures to kick off with, barring this game. If we win I think it will breed false confidence and we we will lose/draw the easier games. Lose, and we know we'll have to pull our socks up and muck in, and could go on a run. Plus, seriously, how many teams this season will be able to cope with Rooney/Van Persie up front? We'll be lucky to only concede 2.

I'm a little worried about RVP going United. They're building another good squad, thei weakest part arguably is CM (Where fellaini will hopefully boss it) and CB's...(If Vidic isn't fit).

Get the feeling RVP and Rooney will form a horrificly efficient partnership sad.png

Still havent got a RB though, and our left side is our best asset, bainsy and peanuts should cause havoc on Monday. RVP and Rooney is a potentially lethal partnership, but like you say they are struggling in CM (kagawa will probably help) and at RB they have Rafeal who is shite IMO and Phil Jones and Smalling who are both CB's IMO, so they still need to strengthen i think.

i don't think he'll do that well..probably get injured..7/8 seasons it's happened so there's a good chance

Bob Wilson...

"Obviously it is very good business from the Arsenal point of view, their perspective is it is £24m for a 29-year-old who has a history of injury problems and one truly magnificent season in eight. That is great business."

I'm sure everyone will remember his horrific Euro 2012 too.

I do believe that he will do well for Manchester United but I believe at the same time that it's good business for someone who is 29 and could well get injured at any given moment. We just have to make sure that on Monday we man-mark both him and Wayne best we can and keep their shots coming from the 20/30 yard mark.

Still havent got a RB though, and our left side is our best asset, bainsy and peanuts should cause havoc on Monday. RVP and Rooney is a potentially lethal partnership, but like you say they are struggling in CM (kagawa will probably help) and at RB they have Rafeal who is shite IMO and Phil Jones and Smalling who are both CB's IMO, so they still need to strengthen i think.

That 4-4 draw last season we ran Rafael ragged. I'm hoping for most of the same

That 4-4 draw last season we ran Rafael ragged. I'm hoping for most of the same

Annoying thing is that (as ever) the 4-4 draw last year was down to brilliant United attacking and calamitous United defending....we played no part in it according to the press.

If we win on Monday it'll be the same; United being poor rather than us being good.

Don't particularly fancy us. We need a big midfield performance to keep possession and try and get our relatively slow creative players in Baines, Pienaar and Osman into the game. No matter how hard he works, we just can't hoof the ball up to Jelavic and expect him to hold it up against United. Unfortunately a game too early for us, we would have a better chance if we had completed those 2 signings Moyes was talking about (especially if they had some pace) - though big teams bring big performances from us, and we always have a chance when people write us off. If we're looking to get anything out of this game then Fellaini, Gibson and Pienaar are going to need to show up, and Jelavic has to be fucking ruthless in front of goal.

2-1 United.

So long as Moyes goes for it. I do hope there's no sitting back and safety first bullshit. First game of the season against heavyweight oppositon and what we need to do is get out the traps quickly and declare our intent. At least play with two up front, we have a few new faces now so Moyes will probably go with what he sees fit, but that's what worries me. Just go out and attack, stand up to them, and go out to win, I hope there isn't a stifled game as Moyes goes on the defensive once more.

--------------Howard----------------

Hibbert-Distin-Jagielka-Baines

--------------Heitinga----------------

Naismith----Osman----Pienaar

--------------Fellaini----------------

--------------Jelavic----------------

Probably as attacking as we're going to see. I'd like to see Fellaini playing in more of an attacking role as I think this is where he shines, I'm sure that when we go on the attack a strike force of Naismith/Fellaini/Pienaar/Jelavic will be good and one which could see us score past De Gea. I don't like Moyes playing negative football but I think a fixture against Manchester United is one where I woulden't mind us setting up for the draw. One point against United is a good one and one which will spur us on in the coming weeks.

--------------Howard----------------

Hibbert-Distin-Jagielka-Baines

--------------Heitinga----------------

Naismith----Osman----Pienaar

--------------Fellaini----------------

--------------Jelavic----------------

Heitinga's been a total disaster every time he's played in midfield....madness.

Heitinga's been a total disaster every time he's played in midfield....madness.

And could he not stand over the ball in FK situations? He's not fooling anyone. Oh, same goes for captain Phil. Neither of them should stand anywhere near the ball in those situations.

Is this the first night game with Manchester United at home since the European Cup season in 2005, and Ferguson with the only goal, I don't remember any other encounter with this oppositon at home for an evening start since that. Maybe I live too much in the past, but I don't recall a game like it since then.

Is this the first night game with Manchester United at home since the European Cup season in 2005, and Ferguson with the only goal, I don't remember any other encounter with this oppositon at home for an evening start since that. Maybe I live too much in the past, but I don't recall a game like it since then.

I think you're right. I think I got my season ticket the season after that and whenever I've seen Manchester United they've been during the day (could be wrong like).